Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hoosiers

Dylan Bundy - Did Our Saber Guys Fail Us?

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per an article I saw in Fangraphs, the trends in his pitch mix largely  started last year.   They’ve moved a bit further in the same direction this year.   The one exception is he used his slider just a bit less last year than the year before, but this year has reversed that.   

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/you-can-dream-on-dylan-bundy-again/

PS - I think there’s a Bundy thread already in the MLB forum.   I don’t mind discussing this Forbes article here since it’s related to our pitching development program in a backhand way.   

Yeah Elias already had him throwing a different pitch mix. He just continued it/furthered it this year. 

It is what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As hard as he works, who is to say he didn’t spend the off season looking at film himself and figuring out how to get better?  I would bet dollars to donuts that is more of what happened with the pitch mix than coaching.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Bundy's last 3 starts have not been nearly as good as his first 4 starts.  Maybe the league is adjusting to his new pitch mix? 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, murph said:

Also, Bundy's last 3 starts have not been nearly as good as his first 4 starts.  Maybe the league is adjusting to his new pitch mix? 

 

It's all about the slider. When it's on, it's one of the nastiest pitches I've ever seen someone throw that consistently over multiple innings. If it's not quite as elite that particular day, he can run into some trouble. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It is possible that he is pitching better and that is affecting his pitch selection, i.e. if he is ahead in the count more. 

Also it looks like he has steadily reduced his FB%. The trend started on the O's even if he is taking it to a new level. (61% in 2015, down to 50% in 2019, 39% this year).

I heard last week something like this is the first year in MLB history fastball usage has dipped <50%.

It was kind of a watershed for me watching Lance McCullers throw like 30-straight curveballs to the Yankees in the playoffs; even for pitchers with credible fastballs, their hottest breaking pitches I think are generally considered most effective.

I think maybe the pig's next stop in the python will be can careers sustain?  But if the teams get their effectiveness in 1-2 year doses, do they even care?   Driveline's gonna ready hundreds of AAA guys willing to blow it out for their 15 seconds of fame, bruh, and data is growing the science slice of the pie chart at art's expense.

Maybe teams care about Walker Buehler (and wishing for Grayson Rodriguez, etc), but even his HOF-potential career seems likely to be punctuated by a turn off every 8-10 starts, until we get to see him try his very best in October.

We can buy Bundy back for 2022 if the situation is right; the real grade for our Saber process is how does that Bundy basket pitch - seems clear they were our handpicked guys.  I recall the Angels GM giving a quote a higher-level guy was talked about in the negotiations, but the Orioles request ended up being the basis of the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He has a 2.50 ERA in 42 innings.  In 2017 he had a 1.65 in April and a 2.00 in August.  In 2018 he had a 1.98 in June and a 2.97 in April.  In '19 he had a 2.64 in May.  When he came up he was averaging 94 on the fastball, now he's sitting at 90.

If he throws his next 200 innings to a 3.00 I'll concede your point.

 

I made a similar post in a thread in the other forum.    Even if he pitches well “all” season this year, we won’t really know if he can hold it together over 30 starts.    I hope he can — he’ll always be someone I root for.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I heard last week something like this is the first year in MLB history fastball usage has dipped <50%.

It was kind of a watershed for me watching Lance McCullers throw like 30-straight curveballs to the Yankees in the playoffs; even for pitchers with credible fastballs, their hottest breaking pitches I think are generally considered most effective.

I think maybe the pig's next stop in the python will be can careers sustain?  But if the teams get their effectiveness in 1-2 year doses, do they even care?   Driveline's gonna ready hundreds of AAA guys willing to blow it out for their 15 seconds of fame, bruh, and data is growing the science slice of the pie chart at art's expense.

Maybe teams care about Walker Buehler (and wishing for Grayson Rodriguez, etc), but even his HOF-potential career seems likely to be punctuated by a turn off every 8-10 starts, until we get to see him try his very best in October.

We can buy Bundy back for 2022 if the situation is right; the real grade for our Saber process is how does that Bundy basket pitch - seems clear they were our handpicked guys.  I recall the Angels GM giving a quote a higher-level guy was talked about in the negotiations, but the Orioles request ended up being the basis of the deal.

39% FB's is crazy! Unbelievable Bundy has become a soft tossing junk guy. He really has a fantastic slider and change though. Just imagine what he could have been throwing 96-98. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

39% FB's is crazy! Unbelievable Bundy has become a soft tossing junk guy. He really has a fantastic slider and change though. Just imagine what he could have been throwing 96-98. 

When the shoulder turned to calcium, I was no longer on board.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, weams said:

When the shoulder turned to calcium, I was no longer on board.  

He never should have gone to Greece.

 

That was too obscure right?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

39% FB's is crazy! Unbelievable Bundy has become a soft tossing junk guy. He really has a fantastic slider and change though. Just imagine what he could have been throwing 96-98. 

Almost every pitcher in history is battling to figure everything out before his fastball loses four mph.  The very best are the ones with stuff so good they don't have to know what they're doing, ones who just naturally know how to pitch when they're 20, or the Nolan Ryan freaks (or is he just the one freak?) who throw 94 at 45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He never should have gone to Greece.

 

That was too obscure right?

I didn't get it.  But I don't think anything is too obscure.  It's up to us to keep up or just not care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Almost every pitcher in history is battling to figure everything out before his fastball loses four mph.  The very best are the ones with stuff so good they don't have to know what they're doing, ones who just naturally know how to pitch when they're 20, or the Nolan Ryan freaks (or is he just the one freak?) who throw 94 at 45.

Very true but would have been nice to capture at least a couple of years with the good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I didn't get it.  But I don't think anything is too obscure.  It's up to us to keep up or just not care.

Strictly from memory (and a faulty one at that), Bundy went to Greece for platlet? Injections.     Before the shoulder calcified.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • We gotta stop falling apart against the Yankees. It’s going to be real fun to watch that moment when we turn the corner against them.  
    • “Mom and Dad, do you want your kids to end up like Chris Davis?  Well, better just give them the Aderall now, and not mess around with the Vyvanse. Little Johnny will fail the 7th grade otherwise.” -Every Psychiatrist 
    • I went Opening Day. I had a great experience.    Pros: - No traffic because the Pandemic.  - The lot under the bridge by the train was only $10 and took cash.  - No lines for the bathroom or when you enter the stadium.  - The staff there was really cool and you could tell that they were going the extra mile to make everyone comfortable.    Cons: - No Vendors in the stands. Such as beer man. (Hope Clarence is aight) - Long concession lines. Be smart and plan accordingly.  - The hand sanitizer machines were mostly empty that they had strategically placed.  Now what everyone is worried about. Mask wearing. Most people were very cool the entire time. The staff has even little paddle signs that they raise near someone to get them to put their mask on. I will say once I switched to the lower bowl at the end of the game, it was as if COVID never existed. The people in the cheap seats were 95% wearing masks at all times. Behind 1st base was about 25%. 
    • It seems like that the only possible way that the O’s (or most teams for that matter) can compete is by building an elite farm system.  Given how hard and how slow that process is, I wanted to ask the O’s experts on here a few simple question for discussion:   1. how long would you estimate that it takes for a team to go from a mediocre/poor farm system, to a system that has produced enough major league talent to win in the AL east?  Additionally, how long in your opinion does the pro club need to suck while building the farm. 2. is there a team that you would prefer that the O’s model their approach after?  Is it Tampa?  Toronto? St. Louis?  I think the Tampa model is the most brutally efficient, but I can’t see many people truly being happy with that model in the long haul (getting rid of good players while value is high, rarely spending a dollar in FA). 3. do you like the financial model of baseball as opposed to other professional leagues?  Baseball has always been my favorite sport, but it really seems to favor the larger market teams in the end.  Not that smaller market teams can’t compete, it’s just that every year it seems the larger market teams win.  I know there are some poor large market orgs, but I personally get disinterested when I see how imbalanced the competitive landscape can be at times.  
    • Same chance of getting you a championship in 2022.
    • o   lllllllllllllllllllllll. (vs. MARINERS, 12:35 PM)       llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll        llllllllllllllllllllll.l (vs. MARINERS, 4:05 PM)     llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll    o
    • Contracts like Davis really hurts the game overall more than it hurts the individual team. Typically teams that have a bad contract just pick up and move on from the player...meanwhile the fans hold a grudge towards the player. Baltimore is doing a disservice to the game by not releasing him and moving on.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...