Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Claimed: Pitcher Carson Fulmer

But I wasn’t impressed in my first look at Fulmer.    Yanked several pitches and really gave Sisco a workout.    Even when he threw strikes I didn’t really think he knew where the ball was going.  

Ugly end to a pleasant  game to watch. Maybe it is me, but I had visions (even the glasses) of watching Kevin Greg all over again.😀  I thought OH NO, not another .... Did the Orioles claim a clone of that nightmare from times back? Be interesting to see how this plays out. CM saved it from being a lot worse!!! Getting him into the useful category should test our coaches!!!

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its a process.   O's pitching coaches are just starting with him.

Exactly. He obviously has some things to work out, and that's not the easiest thing to do during the season. Hopefully we will see some improvement when he gets to work through some things with coaches in the offseason, but I wouldn't expect too much over a handful of appearances in the last couple of weeks in the season. 

On 9/15/2020 at 8:08 AM, wildcard said:

Its a process.   O's pitching coaches are just starting with him.

Ending.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, weams said:

We hardly knew ye. 

Claimed back by the Pirates.

In a sense I kind of like it. Gone are the days where we are staking our hopes to every high draft pick waiver claim and holding onto them for years and years until we realize, yup, he's not good after all! I would have liked to keep Fulmer in the fold somehow, but we have to add a crapton of pretty decent prospects to the 40-man and if a guy doesn't slip through waivers, so be it. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/14/2020 at 10:57 PM, Frobby said:

But I wasn’t impressed in my first look at Fulmer.    Yanked several pitches and really gave Sisco a workout.    Even when he threw strikes I didn’t really think he knew where the ball was going.  

I guess the O's were not that impressed either.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I guess the O's were not that the impressed either.

Honestly the second time I saw him, I was much more impressed.   Oh well.   

We keep everybody until somebody better comes along, and eventually somebody better doesn’t come along and we keep what we have. We’re not there yet, but soon.

I liked his competitiveness, but the delivery was all over the place. Best of luck to him. Maybe we see him again.

I'm kind of disappointed. I was kind of curious to see if the O's could have turned him around. But, we have a lot of guys that need to be added. I think we will start to lose guys that don't suck.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:15 PM, lovetoaster said:

Exactly. He obviously has some things to work out, and that's not the easiest thing to do during the season. Hopefully we will see some improvement when he gets to work through some things with coaches in the offseason, but I wouldn't expect too much over a handful of appearances in the last couple of weeks in the season. 

Well. Nevermind then.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Where I used to post, there was a poster who used to strongly argue against rebuilding.  I disagree with many of aspects of his plan and how he thought the Os should go about things however, the one thing he was dead on about is that rebuilding doesn’t bring you anything unique outside of the (hopefully) #1 pick and more draft allotment money. Outside of that, rebuilding doesn’t provide you anything that you can’t do already.  For example, the Dodgers continue to spend internationally, draft and develop well, play their young guys every year, etc...They draft near the end of every round every year and it hasn’t mattered.  Those are all of the things people will point to that you should do with a rebuild yet none of them are exclusive to whether you win 60 games lose 60 games. And btw, let’s remember that a lot of our better prospects were here before Elias. I was perfectly fine with them tanking early on for the high picks...but I’m not ok with it now.  What we saw at the end of last year is what I was hoping for in 2020..a lot of young talent making it’s way up here and getting that experience.  We should see a lot more of that in 2021. However, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t also make trades, spend wisely in FA, etc..There is no reason for this team to field a team that would be lucky to win 70 games in 2021.  I’m not saying they need a 150M payroll in 2021 but they should be fielding a team very capable of being a 500 team provided that the young guys perform.  2022 should be the year this team is contending. The Orioles (and every other team) will never be good if their young talent doesn’t develop.  That’s just reality.  Those guys need to be able to play and I would agree that you don’t block those players from playing.  But the Os have room in several areas of the team to add higher quality talent and they are hiding behind the rebuilding idea to not do it.  And the idea that many of you fans are ok with that is sad to me.  You expect so little from this team right now and that is all they have given you for the last 3 years.  They have saved a ton of money and yet you buy into the “we are poor” mantra.  I just don’t get that.    The Os are one of the few teams in the league right now that can use their payroll as an advantage.  Take on a bad contract for a top prospect.  Sign a FA that normally wouldn’t come here.  Trade for a guy on a higher but reasonable contract.  Things like that but they aren’t even considering those things and the fan base is content with that.  I don’t get it.  
    • Some interesting observations: Team names on jerseys are in English None of their shirts have armpits Team name "Dinos" evokes an image of a stubby-armed T.Rex trying to deal with a fastball, low and away
    • Is that him standing back off to the left? A bit tough to tell with the masks.   
    • I don’t see him in the photo. I guess he’s off to one of the sides. 
    • Woah woah woah there. Just wanted clarification.    
    • I disagree strongly that the O’s should be spending much more money on payroll during the rebuild.     I’m happy with the approach Elias is taking.    
    • I guess you have to characterize what represents an "opportunity" I would suggest that it is possible to reach a point where divesting yourself of existing talent in exchange for restocking future talent makes sense. Our farm system was a virtual desert. Largely because we leveraged the future for the now a few times too many. Whether you agree with the approach or not, a rebuild cycle is a pretty common strategy in pro sports.  Sell off today... accumulate and develop young talent, and then begin adding strategic pieces as your young talent matures. Spending a boatload of FA money now... without the bolus of young talent to build around would be contrary to the aims of that approach. And it would make less of that money available when you actually want it. You don't have to agree with the approach.. but I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that people who are in agreement with the approach are gullible rubes who "buy into" a deception. Or that the people executing the strategy are acting in bad faith. Why not just say "I think it's a bad strategy"? What attack it's proponents? I don't get it.
  • Popular Contributors