Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
accinfo

Mullins and DJ Stewart

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

To be fair, it's not like they've ever gotten consistent AB's in a season before this. Basically cups of coffee here and there.

Wasn't Mullins handed the starting CF job only to lose it?I

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Sure? Doesn't change what I said. They've always had a very short string on him.

Sure it changes things. 

Big difference between getting a "cup of coffee" and being handed the starting CF job and losing it because of your ineptitude.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure it changes things. 

Big difference between getting a "cup of coffee" and being handed the starting CF job and losing it because of your ineptitude.

 

A short stint is a short stint regardless of if it happens to fall at the beginning of a season. That's what I mean by "basically cups of coffee." The post I was replying to seemed to imply that because Mullins and Stewart have played in short stints of seasons since 2018 that they should have been fully baked by now and their books had been written.

And if we want to talk semantics, Mullins struggles weren't due to ineptitude. He clearly has the tools to play the position. Maybe he just wasn't ready yet.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

A short stint is a short stint regardless of if it happens to fall at the beginning of a season. That's what I mean by "basically cups of coffee." The post I was replying to seemed to imply that because Mullins and Stewart have played in short stints of seasons since 2018 that they should have been fully baked by now and their books had been written.

And if we want to talk semantics, Mullins struggles weren't due to ineptitude. He clearly has the tools to play the position. Maybe he just wasn't ready yet.

Huge difference between the idea of a cup of coffee and losing a given role due to poor performance.  Cup of coffee has implications that just weren't accurate with Mullins, in neither 2018 or 2019.  He played in 45 games in 2018, that is one honking huge cup or coffee.

I will also stand by ineptitude, he clearly showed a lack of skills or ability in 2019.  He was on pace for a -5 rWAR season.  That's demonstrating a lack of ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huge difference between the idea of a cup of coffee and losing a given role due to poor performance.  Cup of coffee has implications that just weren't accurate with Mullins, in neither 2018 or 2019.  He played in 45 games in 2018, that is one honking huge cup or coffee.

I will also stand by ineptitude, he clearly showed a lack of skills or ability in 2019.  He was on pace for a -5 rWAR season.  That's demonstrating a lack of ability.

I understand your objection. "Cup of Coffee" wasn't a good term to use there on my part. He's still played less than one full season in the majors. If you think that's a huge honking sample to go by, then we'll agree to disagree.

If you think Mullins previous poor performance was due to ineptitude, I'm curious.. do you still believe he's inept? If not, do you really think that he acquired the skills and ability from a few weeks at the alternate site in Bowie?

Poor performance doesn't  prove ineptitude in my opinion. Just as a short-lived good performance doesn't prove that you're competent. I'm betting that Mullins is a competent big-leaguer.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I understand your objection. "Cup of Coffee" wasn't a good term to use there on my part. He's still played less than one full season in the majors. If you think that's a huge honking sample to go by, then we'll agree to disagree.

If you think Mullins previous poor performance was due to ineptitude, I'm curious.. do you still believe he's inept? If not, do you really think that he acquired the skills and ability from a few weeks at the alternate site in Bowie?

Poor performance doesn't  prove ineptitude in my opinion. Just as a short-lived good performance doesn't prove that you're competent. I'm betting that Mullins is a competent big-leaguer.

You might be working with a different definition of ineptitude than I am.  The one I am using means:

Quote

A lack of skill or ability.

I think that was clearly the case in 2019.  He was both poor in the field and at the bat last year.  As I stated he was on a 160 game pace for a -5 win season.  If that doesn't mean the criteria of chowing a lack of ability what does?

 

I also think Mullins is pretty much a replacement level player who is having a nice stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You might be working with a different definition of ineptitude than I am.  The one I am using means:

I think that was clearly the case in 2019.  He was both poor in the field and at the bat last year.  As I stated he was on a 160 game pace for a -5 win season.  If that doesn't mean the criteria of chowing a lack of ability what does?

You can perform poorly without being inept. It doesn't mean that you didn't have the skills or ability all along. This is especially true in sports. There could be various reasons why this happens. The skills that are shining through a little bit right now are the same skills that he was scouted as having (speed, glove, and adequate-at-best bat skills).

Perhaps it was a swing adjustment or perhaps it was a mental adjustment.. maybe it was both. I don't believe his approach in the field has changed much at all... just needs more reps for the metrics to stabilize. My opinion on Mullins slow start is simply that baseball is very hard, and some guys need a few more reps to put it all together on the field.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'm getting a Luke Scott vibe from DJ Stewart. Good plate discipline and extremely streaky.

I like Mullins' game a lot. I think he'll have a career as a second-division starting outfielder like David Lough or Craig Gentry

It’s the two first names 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sample sizes in a season like this are naturally going to be small. We have just over 100 plate appearances for Mullins and even less for Stewart. I'm optimistic about what they are showing, but it could also very well be a David Newhan situation where they look like real pieces in a small run and then fad into oblivion.

Overall, I think both should be given a bit more time to show what they have. I think before this Stewart was working his way out of consideration in a deep outfield. If nothing else, this gets him back in the picture. With Santander on the shelf, I'd like to see Mullins, Stewart, Mountcastle and Hays in the lineup as much as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

You can perform poorly without being inept. It doesn't mean that you didn't have the skills or ability all along. This is especially true in sports. There could be various reasons why this happens. The skills that are shining through a little bit right now are the same skills that he was scouted as having (speed, glove, and adequate-at-best bat skills).

Perhaps it was a swing adjustment or perhaps it was a mental adjustment.. maybe it was both. I don't believe his approach in the field has changed much at all... just needs more reps for the metrics to stabilize. My opinion on Mullins slow start is simply that baseball is very hard, and some guys need a few more reps to put it all together on the field.

 

It’s very true that there’s a difference between a bad day, or a bad stretch( remember what AJ said:’ sometimes you suck’) and just being inept. I think that’s maybe a better word than incompetent, btw, though they are basically synonymous.

Regardless, the trick is in knowing which players are which. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

To be fair, it's not like they've ever gotten consistent AB's in a season before this. Basically cups of coffee here and there.

Not sure what dog you have in this thing, but I don't understand the need "to be fair".  

The poster accused the board of wanting "instant satisfaction" regarding the production of Mullins and Stewart and I think it is quite obvious that both had (multiple) chances to win every day roles in prior years and failed.  I am glad to see these two guys make good adjustments that may have improved their long term profiles, but let's not pretend they didn't have real prior opportunities.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Not sure what dog you have in this thing, but I don't understand the need "to be fair".  

The poster accused the board of wanting "instant satisfaction" regarding the production of Mullins and Stewart and I think it is quite obvious that both had (multiple) chances to win every day roles in prior years and failed.  I am glad to see these two guys make good adjustments that may have improved their long term profiles, but let's not pretend they didn't have real prior opportunities.    

Well, I did find it interesting that you took @Camden_yardbird 's post to be an accusation against you, but regardless, there's a middle ground here.

What you said above is true... They both had prior opportunities to earn regular roles and failed. 

What yardbird said is also true... Some people were quick to write them off completely as non-players because of those prior failures. 

The truth is that, in both cases, this is not an uncommon development curve for a young ballplayer. Talented young players often struggle. Sometimes they struggle multiple times before putting it together and converting potential into production.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huge difference between the idea of a cup of coffee and losing a given role due to poor performance.  Cup of coffee has implications that just weren't accurate with Mullins, in neither 2018 or 2019.  He played in 45 games in 2018, that is one honking huge cup or coffee.

I will also stand by ineptitude, he clearly showed a lack of skills or ability in 2019.  He was on pace for a -5 rWAR season.  That's demonstrating a lack of ability.

I’d call it lack of performance.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He played in 45 games in 2018, that is one honking huge cup of coffee.

It's America. We have a Constitutional right to drive up to Starbucks in a monster truck and order up a 128 ounce coffee whenever we want.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • This is where we will track significant activity throughout spring training. This will be updated with cuts and additional players acquired throughout the spring. Starters John Means  (3/1) Will make his spring debut tomorrow against the Yankees and lines up for the Opening Day start on April 1st Keegan Akin (3/1) Healthy and will need to pitch himself off this team Dean Kremer (3/1) Healthy will need to pitch himself off this team Jorge López (3/1) Allowed two runs in two innings of work on five hits and walk. needed 47 pitches to get through two innings. For some reason though the Orioles are giving him every opportunity to win a spot in the rotation.  Felix Hernandez (NRI) (3/1) Reportedly looks a little heavy but is healthy and will be given every opportunity to win a spot in the rotation. Matt Harvey (NRI) (3/1) Hasn't pitched well in the majors since 2018 and was hammered last year in Kansas City. His lost spin on his stuff but will be given an opportunity to win a spot in the rotation or possibly in the pen. Wade LeBlanc (NRI) (3/1) Brought back despite tossing just one good start last year. Changeup pitcher who can provide some depth in the bullpen or as a swingman if needed. Bruce Zimmermann (3/1) If he pitches well he could be in the rotation. Ashton Goudeau (3/1) Reportedly has looked pretty good in camp so far but hasn't had any success over AAA. Thomas Eshelman (NRI) (2/28) Lunch bucket guy got the spring opener but allowed two runs, one earned on a hit and two walks.  Michael Baumann (3/1) Heading for AAA Zac Lowther (3/1) Heading for AAA, but pitched out of some trouble in spring debut allowing two base runners but no runs. Fastball sat 88-91 and his threw five changeups out of his 14 pitches. Alexander Wells (2/28) Reportedly has an oblique injury for the second straight spring and will be held back (3/1) Heading for AAA Josh Rogers (NRI) Mickey Jannis (NRI) Konner Wade (NRI) Spenser Watkins (NRI) (2/28) Tossed a scoreless 9th against minor leaguers. Relievers Hunter Harvey Tanner Scott Cesar Valdez Dillon Tate Paul Fry Shawn Armstrong (3/1) Down 1.3 MPH off his 2020 velocity, Armstrong allowed a two-run homer in his one inning of work.  Travis Lakins Sr. Cole Sulser Isaac Mattson (2/28) Allowed a home run and walked two in his Orioles spring debut. Mac Sceroler (3/1) Rule 5 pick made his spring debut and worked his way out of bases loaded jam. Walked two and allowed a single, needing 28 pitches to get through his frame against mostly minor leaguers. He sat 92-94 mph with fastball and showed a hard curve that he varied from 78-84 MPH but it didn't have a ton of break. Just one outing, but nothing stood out stuff wise as a guy you have to keep. Tyler Wells (3/1) Rule 5 pick made his debut as well tossing one scoreless innings allowing a walk. His fastball sat 93.7  to  95.4 MPH but didn't show a ton of life. He did get one swing and miss on his fastball up in the zone and recorded a strikeout on a curveball looking against a minor leaguer. With his size and fastball curveball combination he could be interesting in relief. Conner Greene (NRI) 2/28 - Struck out two of the three batters he faced and reportedly hit 97 MPH. That will open some eyes. Marcos Diplán (NRI)  2/28 - Tossed a scoreless innings of relief. Fernando Abad (NRI) (2/28) Brought in the game in the 2nd inning to face major leaguers, pitched his way out of a jam allowing two hits and walk but not a run. Cody Carroll (NRI) Evan Phillips (NRI) Eric Hanhold (NRI)  (2/28) Pitched the 3rd inning against major leaguers and allowed two runs, one earned on two hits including a home run in his innings of work. Jay Flaa (NRI) Zach Muckenhirn (NRI) Dusten Knight (NRI)   Catchers Pedro Severino (3/1) Odds on favorite to start most of the games at catcher this year. Chance Sisco (3/1) Typically a spring training phenom, he's looking to get more opportunities this season. Austin Wynns (NRI) (2/28) Needs an injury to make the team but is probably first up behind the dish. Taylor Davis (NRI) (3/1) Lunch bucket guy who can catch and play some first base Heading to AAA. Nick Ciuffo (NRI) (3/1) Former top prospect trying to refind it with the Orioles. Good defensive catcher who has never hit. Adley Rutschman (NRI) 3/1 Here to catch pitchers and soak in the majors until he's reassigned. Most likely will start in Aberdeen or Bowie. 1st Base Trey Mancini (2/28) Got a standing ovation before his first at bat and then singled sharply.      
    • Ravens and Jackson far apart in negotiations?   https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/27/sports/latest-buzz-nfl-quarterback-market/
    • Just wanted to bump this if anyone is interested. 
    • He'll still catch his share of games.
    • Is the book closed on him being a C?
    • Good thing they don’t play basketball.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...