Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Roch on Fall Instructional League

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really can't stand these articles.  It's like Spring Training.  Everyone looks good, everyone looks fantastic, everyone's doing well.  Roch could save himself the time and just save these articles with spaces for the players names and swap them out from year to year, we'd never know the difference and get giddy just the same.

Couldn’t disagree more.   I agree it’s just enthusiastic fluff, but I’ll take it in this year when there’s been so little information about how our prospects are doing.   I do wonder whether Fangraphs, BA or someone is allowed to attend some of the Fall Instructs and toss us a bone or two of objective opinion.  And hopefully Tony has his ear to the ground and will be able to pass along some tidbits eventually.  But this is all we’re going to get for now, and I’d rather have it than not.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Couldn’t disagree more.   I agree it’s just enthusiastic fluff, but I’ll take it in this year when there’s been so little information about how our prospects are doing.   I do wonder whether Fangraphs, BA or someone is allowed to attend some of the Fall Instructs and toss us a bone or two of objective opinion.  And hopefully Tony has his ear to the ground and will be able to pass along some tidbits eventually.  But this is all we’re going to get for now, and I’d rather have it than not.   

Agree to disagree, Frobasaurus Rex.  I know we're thirsty for information about our prospects, but it is enthusiastic fluff.  But I can't get too excited about news that's coming out of our Bowie site this summer about Gunnar Henderson raking when he's facing the same pitchers over and over.  But at least they'll be playing some games against other organizations in this league so hopefully it's more than what we learned about this summer.

The Kjerstad thing is by far the most worrisome issue here.  In fact, I'd argue that Roch buried the lead on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agree to disagree, Frobasaurus Rex.  I know we're thirsty for information about our prospects, but it is enthusiastic fluff.  But I can't get too excited about news that's coming out of our Bowie site this summer about Gunnar Henderson raking when he's facing the same pitchers over and over.  But at least they'll be playing some games against other organizations in this league so hopefully it's more than what we learned about this summer.

The Kjerstad thing is by far the most worrisome issue here.  In fact, I'd argue that Roch buried the lead on this one.

Could be interesting speculating about why some players aren't being mentioned in these fluff pieces.

Other than that, yea, nothing of substance gets mentioned.

I hope the players are getting paid for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could be interesting speculating about why some players aren't being mentioned in these fluff pieces.

Other than that, yea, nothing of substance gets mentioned.

I hope the players are getting paid for this.

The O’s paid their MiL players all summer even though they weren’t playing.   I kind of doubt they’re being paid for this, other than free hotel, team buffet and maybe a little meal money.   I know they’re not paid for spring training.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one negative I discerned was:

“Servideo is a really, really nice defender and has got bat-to-ball skills and we’re going to keep working there.“

Translation: not making hard contact?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The one negative I discerned was:

“Servideo is a really, really nice defender and has got bat-to-ball skills and we’re going to keep working there.“

Translation: not making hard contact?

 

Haha. Yes, if you want to read between the lines, the compliments to Servideo and Haskins were nice but were vague enough to question them.  He said Haskins was a good all around player but didn't specifically say he looked great offensively.  He was more specific in praising Westburg, Mayo, and Baumler's skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agree to disagree, Frobasaurus Rex. 

What exactly are you trying to say here?    I mean, I know I’m a bit of a dinosaur, but do we really have to be that explicit about it?    It’s like the Jerry Seinfeld bit about why do they have to call a nose job a rhinoplasty?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Philip said:

He’s got time to learn, but if he’s really glorious with the glove, he’ll have a utility job for years.

Utility player who hit are a dime a dozen ....as soon as they get to arbitration you cutem and find a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really can't stand these articles.  It's like Spring Training.  Everyone looks good, everyone looks fantastic, everyone's doing well.  Roch could save himself the time and just save these articles with spaces for the players names and swap them out from year to year, we'd never know the difference and get giddy just the same.

You would hope that Elias and Co. had an idea about whatever issues Kjerstad had before they drafted him.

Exactly. He has to churn it out. Every time someone says, “I’m a journalist” I respond, “no you’re not you write about sports.” Some sports writers are brilliant writers.

Most are not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Utility player who hit are a dime a dozen ....as soon as they get to arbitration you cutem and find a new one.

Well if he doesn’t pan out, I don’t think it’s much of a loss, but we shall see. On the other hand, there’s a reason Ryan Flaherty had a major league career spanning seven seasons with a career average of about .220.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

What exactly are you trying to say here?    I mean, I know I’m a bit of a dinosaur, but do we really have to be that explicit about it?    It’s like the Jerry Seinfeld bit about why do they have to call a nose job a rhinoplasty?

Just messing around with your name, Frobingo.  Things here have been a bit boring of late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just messing around with your name, Frobingo.  Things here have been a bit boring of late.

Oh yes, I knew.   No problema.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lowther and Bannon are guys you wouldn't expect on the instructional roster.  Lowther, it seems, missed most of the Bowie camp.  Same thing with Bannon?

Also, very interesting to see which recent international players are there. Are these the best prospects.  No Prado.  We have Luis Ortiz and Luis Gonzalez from the last J2 period.  Previous years players Cosma, Bellony, Acevedo,Sanchez, and Beriguete.  I missed a couple.  I think it says a little something especially a out Luis Ortiz and Luis Gonzalez. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Lowther and Bannon are guys you wouldn't expect on the instructional roster.  Lowther, it seems, missed most of the Bowie camp.  Same thing with Bannon?

Also, very interesting to see which recent international players are there. Are these the best prospects.  No Prado.  We have Luis Ortiz and Luis Gonzalez from the last J2 period.  Previous years players Cosma, Bellony, Acevedo,Sanchez, and Beriguete.  I missed a couple.  I think it says a little something especially a out Luis Ortiz and Luis Gonzalez. 

I think some players had visa issues, especially the ones we acquired in trades.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Couldn’t disagree more.   I agree it’s just enthusiastic fluff, but I’ll take it in this year when there’s been so little information about how our prospects are doing.   I do wonder whether Fangraphs, BA or someone is allowed to attend some of the Fall Instructs and toss us a bone or two of objective opinion.  And hopefully Tony has his ear to the ground and will be able to pass along some tidbits eventually.  But this is all we’re going to get for now, and I’d rather have it than not.   

The problem is it’s insincere. You’re not getting accurate assessment of these guys you’re getting “an endorsement from the party chairman of his youngest shining star” how can it possibly be meaningful?

How many organization folks are saying anything negative about Sedlock or Grenier, for instance.
I’m not saying that’s wrong, it can’t possibly be any other way, but you’re not going to get anybody within the organization, saying, “we are really worried about this guy’s ability to hit, but we’re gonna keep working with because otherwise he’s going to be a wasted pick.”

It’s possible to translate some of the stuff they say, but it’s a skill to be able to do so.

So with respect, I agree completely with moose.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • MLB Pipeline did a Top 10 on their podcast this week, including shreds on I guess NCAA sophomores who like Kjerstad in February/March may have done stuff for a few weeks.  It also acquainted me with the demographics of the basket where 1-5 will be one of them. Pirates 1 - Lawlar the HS shortstop Rangers 2 - Kumar Tigers 3 - McClain, some Madrigal-sized middle infielder from UCLA, maybe/maybe not SS Red Sox 4 - del Castillo, some slugging catcher from "The U" deemed best hitter in draft Orioles 5 - Leiter (I'd be glad with this outcome for polish going towards 2022 usefulness) D'Backs 6 - Jake Hill, the LSU right-hander, non-Vanderbilt best of SEC rest.   Guessing Ben may know him some. Royals 7 - Jud Zabian, Florida OF    <mock now at 6 straight NCAA after the high school SS character who seems impossible to get to 1-5> <hosts say these Top 7 are a clear tier in whatever order they fall> Rockies 8 - Alex Vanellas, Louisville 3B Angels 9 - Marcelo Mayer, high school SS #2 Mets 10 - James Wood, IMG Academy high school OF <nary a high school pitcher in these 10, though with draft pushed back to July, the Nick Bitsko analogs born in 2003 will have some extra time to strut their stuff, in case the next Kerry Wood, Josh Beckett or Dylan Bundy can only Netflix and chill right now>    
    • I would dangle him to anyone whi would take him. I didn't want him back at any cost let alone 1.8M
    • He is so streaky that when he is in his funk he will be worse than the MIF we run out there.
    • https://halohangout.com/2020/07/13/angels-garrett-stallings-summer-camp/ An Angels fansite report when he later got to their 60 this summer cites a curve as the Junior year difference maker. Their source for that this campus story https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Baseball-Vols-Garrett-Stallings-selected-in-fifth-round-of-MLB-Draft-132589216/ also has the details he was their 2019 Friday night guy even with Crochet on the team. His Perfect Game blurb from high school times mentioned three-quarters to over the top arm angle, gee whiz. Who knows if he could have had Kevin Smith's 2019 in parallel universe 2020?   SEC trade imports links them, but Smith actually doing it including a little AA success is a big credit in his favor for the moment.
    • He fits the Smith/Kjerstad mold of SEC guys steadily improving (Growth Mindset?), even if some of that is demonstrated in small sample sizes.   Smith did backup his Junior Year rise up draft boards with his great 2019 for the Mets.  I am imagining entering Junior year Stallings was not a 5th or 25th round profile.   He's one more piece for the box of chocolates we'll get to open in the spring.
    • I wonder if he had a velocity spike his junior year and if that would make it less likely for him to have untapped velocity?
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...