Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

#11 2020 Prospect: Zac Lowther #11

Recommended Posts

I'm predicting big things for Lowther.  He might not have the most impressive pitch arsenal, but he knows how to pitch..  There are a lot of above average starters who don't throw 95+ and a lot of guys with electric arms who never have a major league career.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him have the best career of this crop of O's pitching prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony, what is a good comp for Lowther?  Seems like "deceptive" lefties seem to find the major leagues a problem, generally, to me. Guys like a Tyler Mahle in Cincy may not fit the Lowther offerings exactly, but it's close.  

Guys like Lowther have to prove it level by level and I am eager to see what he can do in the majors.  Will have to see if we sign anyone like a Tommy Milone again this offseason to push off Lowther's opportunity by a starter or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

Tony, what is a good comp for Lowther?  Seems like "deceptive" lefties seem to find the major leagues a problem, generally, to me. Guys like a Tyler Mahle in Cincy may not fit the Lowther offerings exactly, but it's close.  

Guys like Lowther have to prove it level by level and I am eager to see what he can do in the majors.  Will have to see if we sign anyone like a Tommy Milone again this offseason to push off Lowther's opportunity by a starter or two.

I think it all depends on how much his deception plays up. He throws a little harder than Milone and his release point and extension on his release helps it play up as well. 

I like him, but was disappointed that Elias didn't have him at the auxiliary camp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think it all depends on how much his deception plays up. He throws a little harder than Milone and his release point and extension on his release helps it play up as well. 

I like him, but was disappointed that Elias didn't have him at the auxiliary camp. 

But we don’t know why he wasn’t at that camp, right?  
 

Maybe he had an injury or was exposed to covid or something like that.

I agree it’s puzzling but I also don’t know that it means the team doesn’t like him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But we don’t know why he wasn’t at that camp, right?  
 

Maybe he had an injury or was exposed to covid or something like that.

I agree it’s puzzling but I also don’t know that it means the team doesn’t like him.

He did eventually join the camp, but not until Sept. 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He did eventually join the camp, but not until Sept. 4

Right, that’s what I thought but couldn’t find anything to confirm that after a quick search.

That leads me to think he was dealing with something off the field prior to that but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But we don’t know why he wasn’t at that camp, right?  
 

Maybe he had an injury or was exposed to covid or something like that.

I agree it’s puzzling but I also don’t know that it means the team doesn’t like him.

I heard it had nothing to do with injury or health. It was a decision made by Elias. I don't know whether it means the team doesn't think that highly of him or not, but it hurt not getting a look and certainly did not help his development sitting at home while guys like David Hess, Rob Zastryzny or Ty Black got innings in camp. 

I realize there were concerns about waivers and if guys got hurt, but the team had 16 spots open to start the camp. You would think if Elias thought highly of Lowther he would have been a priority add in order to get him as many triple-A type innings as possible.

Again, I do not know why he was not included until late in camp but from what I heard it did not seem to be about injury or health.

Saying that, I know Elias preferred Akin over Lowther after 2019 because I think Akins pitch metrics are better.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I heard it had nothing to do with injury or health. It was a decision made by Elias. I don't know whether it means the team doesn't think that highly of him or not, but it hurt not getting a look and certainly did not help his development sitting at home while guys like David Hess, Rob Zastryzny or Ty Black got innings in camp. 

I realize there were concerns about waivers and if guys got hurt, but the team had 16 spots open to start the camp. You would think if Elias thought highly of Lowther he would have been a priority add in order to get him as many triple-A type innings as possible.

Again, I do not know why he was not included until late in camp but from what I heard it did not seem to be about injury or health.

Saying that, I know Elias preferred Akin over Lowther after 2019 because I think Akins pitch metrics are better.

Interesting.

If there was nothing off the field, I agree it’s puzzling as to why Elias wouldn’t have him there.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.  Lowther has seemingly exceeded expectations so far.  Maybe he will just be one of those under the radar guys that continue to surprise people.

I like having him as depth right now and that he has held his own as he has moved up the chain.  If he keeps doing that, Elias won’t be able to ignore him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Interesting.

If there was nothing off the field, I agree it’s puzzling as to why Elias wouldn’t have him there.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.  Lowther has seemingly exceeded expectations so far.  Maybe he will just be one of those under the radar guys that continue to surprise people.

I like having him as depth right now and that he has held his own as he has moved up the chain.  If he keeps doing that, Elias won’t be able to ignore him.

I think Akin's floor is higher, but Lowther has a better chance to stick as a starter. I was a believer after his Bowie year and still think he will overcome his less than sparkling metrics because his deception helps his stuff play up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Which metrics are we talking about which apparently Akins is better than Lowther?

Spin rate mostly. I think Elias and company put a lo of faith into spin rate though I'm sure they have others metrics they use for pitchers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...