Sign in to follow this  
Griffey

2027 is our year!

The question is what would any of us prefer...

One WS win in the ‘20s with the rest being non competitive (hovering around .500 most years but not making the playoffs) or...

No WS win but let’s say 4 years of making the playoffs and 3 additional years of playing over .500 in the ‘20s....

32 minutes ago, oriole said:

One WS win in the ‘20s with the rest being non competitive (hovering around .500 most years but not making the playoffs) or...

No WS win but let’s say 4 years of making the playoffs and 3 additional years of playing over .500 in the ‘20s....

I'll take a WS win, please.  I don't care about much else.

• Upvote 2

2027 is ridiculous. UNacceptable. A slight by mlb.com and not at all informed!

YES! I'll take a WS win ANY year, but that is just :bs:!

1 hour ago, oriole said:

WS win.  No question. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oriole said:

We’ve had this question a few times over the years.   Most posters say they’d prefer the WS win.   Most of them have never experienced one.   

Me, I’d prefer the regularly competitive team.   I’ve experienced three WS wins, and they were great, but I get more enjoyment from being in pennant races year after year.    A season is far more enjoyable when your team is in the race than when it’s not.   Having that sense of urgency and excitement on a regular basis is better to me than having one year of ultimate thrill surrounded by many years of mediocrity.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’ve had this question a few times over the years.   Most posters say they’d prefer the WS win.   Most of them have never experienced one.   

Me, I’d prefer the regularly competitive team.   I’ve experienced three WS wins, and they were great, but I get more enjoyment from being in pennant races year after year.    A season is far more enjoyable when your team is in the race than when it’s not.   Having that sense of urgency and excitement on a regular basis is better to me than having one year of ultimate thrill surrounded by many years of mediocrity.  

I think we skew old enough here that a lot of us remember '83.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think we skew old enough here that a lot of us remember '83.

Well, not Moose or ArtVanDelay.   But, you are right.   I always think of myself as very old compared to many of our posters, but someone could be 15 years younger than me and still remember the ‘83 Series win pretty well.    

I’ll say this: the way you experience a WS win when you are a 9-year old newbie fan is very different from the way you experience it as a 26-year old who’s been following a team for 18 years.   I was fortunate to have both of those experiences plus experiencing one as a 13-year old who’d been a very die-hard fan for four years.    They were all great, but each was different.   And I do think that experiencing one as an older fan after a 37+ year dry spell might be better than any of those.    I hope to find out!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, not Moose or ArtVanDelay.   But, you are right.   I always think of myself as very old compared to many of our posters, but someone could be 15 years younger than me and still remember the ‘83 Series win pretty well.    

I’ll say this: the way you experience a WS win when you are a 9-year old newbie fan is very different from the way you experience it as a 26-year old who’s been following a team for 18 years.   I was fortunate to have both of those experiences plus experiencing one as a 13-year old who’d been a very die-hard fan for four years.    They were all great, but each was different.   And I do think that experiencing one as an older fan after a 37+ year dry spell might be better than any of those.    I hope to find out!

I was pretty young in '83 and just figured the team would keep on winning.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s a toss up for me. Of course if possible I’d choose the best of both options lol a World Series win plus a few years of playoff baseball sprinkled in. 

I was born in ‘86 and grew up in the south rooting for David Justice and Fred McGriff on the Braves but even then I always knew Baltimore was my home team even if I couldn’t watch them (family’s from Baltimore). But anyways, I sort of know the feeling of a WS win though at 9 years old it’s not nearly the same I’d imagine it to be if I saw the O’s win one in 2027. I’m way more invested now than I was as a child. 

Maybe it doesn’t have to be either/or.  Maybe the O’s are competitive for two or three playoff seasons before finally winning the pennant and WS in 2027!  T’would make it sweeter still...

If I had to choose,  I'd rather get a WS title and not make the playoffs the other years than to make the playoffs,  yet never win the title.  Clearly both is the best outcome.