Tony-OH

Breakout Prospect in 2021??

What prospect, not currently in the Top 30, will be next year?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What prospect, not currently in the Top 30, will be next year?

• Stiven Acevedo - OF
    • Luis González - OF
    • Luis Ortiz – LHP
    • Erison Placencia – SS
    • Elio Prado – CF
    • Leonardo Rodriguez - RHP
    • Zach Watson - CF
    • Toby Welk - 3B
    • Jake Zebron - RHP
    • Other - Mention in comments

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the system is too deep for a backup catcher or middle reliever to make the list, which is a good thing. The days of needing to put potential backup catchers in the top 30 is hopefully behind us with the new found International pipeline adding to our 1st year player drafts and trades.

I could definitely see a headliner from Mancini or Santander trade getting on the list, but I think the Orioles would have to eat some of Cobb's contract to get something back from him.

That's great news. 

I expect us to graduate a few guys this year and of course to add a few. I also don't see a ton of value in Nevin, Bannon or McKenna. Add in a couple of bad years and in theory we could need to "fill" the top 30 with 5-10 more guys next year. It seems like there could be room.

Either way, I certainly hope we're at a point where a good year from Cumberland or Mattson don't qualify them for the top 30.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the system is too deep for a backup catcher or middle reliever to make the list, which is a good thing. The days of needing to put potential backup catchers in the top 30 is hopefully behind us with the new found International pipeline adding to our 1st year player drafts and trades.

I could definitely see a headliner from Mancini or Santander trade getting on the list, but I think the Orioles would have to eat some of Cobb's contract to get something back from him.

I think this is somewhat semantics, no? What I mean by this is that I would guess that quite a few, if not a majority, of backup/number-two catchers around the league were possible starting catcher prospects. Something like 25% shot at being an ML regular, most likely outcome being low-end starter/backup catcher.

Because of Adley, I think almost anyone who graduates to the majors from the O's system is thought of by OH posters as "potential second catcher."

56 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think this is somewhat semantics, no? What I mean by this is that I would guess that quite a few, if not a majority, of backup/number-two catchers around the league were possible starting catcher prospects. Something like 25% shot at being an ML regular, most likely outcome being low-end starter/backup catcher.

Because of Adley, I think almost anyone who graduates to the majors from the O's system is thought of by OH posters as "potential second catcher."

When I assess the most likely role of a player in the major leagues, it has nothing to do with the players within the organization. What I meant by what I said is that in the past, a guy with a most likely role as "backup catcher" or "middle reliever" has made the list at times, but the depth of the systems allows for guys like that to not make the Top 30 list.

If I thought Cumberland could be a starting major league catcher, he'd be in the top 30. 

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

When I assess the most likely role of a player in the major leagues, it has nothing to do with the players within the organization. What I meant by what I said is that in the past, a guy with a most likely role as "backup catcher" or "middle reliever" has made the list at times, but the depth of the systems allows for guys like that to not make the Top 30 list.

If I thought Cumberland could be a starting major league catcher, he'd be in the top 30. 

Wasn't implying that's what you do, rather that "most likely outcome" evaluation and "what I see him being for the O's" may not always lineup for casual OH comments for that reason. that was all.

I get what you mean, and I didn't realize we had guys with that type of projected outcome / prospect status so high (relatively) in our prospect list in the past.