Sign in to follow this  
eddie83

MASN now streaming.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yea, like if Mancini started the game with 22 homers, then hits another in the 4th inning, the app will show he has 23.

Well, now we know why Jim Hunter became redundant.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I found this quote interesting.

“MASN will continue, as we have for the last 15 years, to broadcast more than 300 baseball games and 600 30-minute pre- and post-game shows,” said John McGuinness, Senior Vice President of Marketing and General Sales Manager of the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network. 

I guess that could mean two 15 minute shows but that's not how it reads to me...?

Truthfully, how long does it say - "Welp, another L!".

16 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Would be nice if MASN would get on Sling, which is the cheapest of the various options. I have Sling  pretty much exclusively to watch Maryland basketball. The Giants and Athletics games are available on Sling in-market.

Here is a list of all team's RSN streaming platform options - https://www.groundedreason.com/how-to-watch-mlb-games-without-cable/ 

That option would of course be second to just letting us pay them directly. This is all very dumb, hopefully it gets sorted out soon, but it should have happened 5+ years ago.

I am sorry.

12 hours ago, eddie83 said:

The whole streaming or cable/satellite conversation just goes around in circles to me. Channels are still bundled. 

I pay over $150 for DirecTV.  Upgraded internet to a broadband provider and that is $75 a month. Watch Amazon Prime, MLBTV but that is it.  I would probably have to spend another $75 for the best internet to have confidence in it where I live. The upstairs TV can be real choppy trying to stream.  

You sound like me.... Hate the price tag for both, but no other viable options

I cut the cord a few years ago when the team went into re-building mode. I use the MLB app for instant video highlights and Orioles game updates and that keeps me in the loop without the time investment or the cable bill. I can get the Ravens on over-the-air antenna so that keeps my sports entertainment costs way down. 

I love a good MASN pile on but outside of Gary Thorne I can't bring myself to get mad at any of the recent decisions. The streaming ordeal is not any different than the vast majority of other teams' options. Most of them require a cable subscription and aren't offered on Youtube TV, Hulu Tv and Sling. This also isn't really much different than Fox sports go, BTN, ESPN etc. where you still have to pay for a subscription package of some sort. As far as i know, none of these sports streaming services act as a Netflix/HBO model where you just pay a monthly fee for that content and that content alone. I pay for Hulu Tv to be able to watch live sports on all of those apps mentioned above. Even if you purchase ESPN + as a standalone service you don't get access to games not exclusively aired on ESPN+. Meaning you still require a subscription package to watch, say, the NCAA playoff games. 

I do wonder if this is out of the Orioles hands in terms of what they are able to offer their fans regarding streaming. Doesn't change the fact that they were still late to offer mobile streaming at all and their programming was badly produced and very boring compared to other networks. Others may disagree, but i'd rather watch paint dry than watch Dave Johnson and Tom Davis on Wall to Wall Baseball. They have an opportunity with this app to have a more modern fan experience and it seems like they are sort of touting that. The devil is in the details though so we'll see.

13 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Well, now we know why Jim Hunter became redundant.

"He's got a modest two game hitting streak"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Has anyone seen any updates about when the MASN app will be available? Or what streaming services will be carrying MASN this season?

I can’t find any updates outside of the Jan 25, 2021 press release.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, orangedive said:

Has anyone seen any updates about when the MASN app will be available? Or what streaming services will be carrying MASN this season?

Nope, not a thing! Looks like they are going to miss their target of opening day. Unless they release it at 2:10pm tomorrow which strikes me as something they would do. 

8 hours ago, orangedive said:

AT&T TV is the only streaming service to carry them, and likely will be the only one at least this year.   Same boat for most of the other MLB RSNs this year.  It's on their $85 no-contract streaming package.   https://www.att.com/tv/

2 minutes ago, Natsfan17 said:

AT&T TV is the only streaming service to carry them, and likely will be the only one at least this year.   Same boat for most of the other MLB RSNs this year.  It's on their $85 no-contract streaming package.   https://www.att.com/tv/

Go through Rakuten and get $112.50 back on your first month. Money maker.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• It seems like that the only possible way that the O’s (or most teams for that matter) can compete is by building an elite farm system.  Given how hard and how slow that process is, I wanted to ask the O’s experts on here a few simple question for discussion:   1. how long would you estimate that it takes for a team to go from a mediocre/poor farm system, to a system that has produced enough major league talent to win in the AL east?  Additionally, how long in your opinion does the pro club need to suck while building the farm. 2. is there a team that you would prefer that the O’s model their approach after?  Is it Tampa?  Toronto? St. Louis?  I think the Tampa model is the most brutally efficient, but I can’t see many people truly being happy with that model in the long haul (getting rid of good players while value is high, rarely spending a dollar in FA). 3. do you like the financial model of baseball as opposed to other professional leagues?  Baseball has always been my favorite sport, but it really seems to favor the larger market teams in the end.  Not that smaller market teams can’t compete, it’s just that every year it seems the larger market teams win.  I know there are some poor large market orgs, but I personally get disinterested when I see how imbalanced the competitive landscape can be at times.  
    • Same chance of getting you a championship in 2022.
    • o   lllllllllllllllllllllll. (vs. MARINERS, 12:35 PM)       llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll        llllllllllllllllllllll.l (vs. MARINERS, 4:05 PM)     llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll    o
    • Contracts like Davis really hurts the game overall more than it hurts the individual team. Typically teams that have a bad contract just pick up and move on from the player...meanwhile the fans hold a grudge towards the player. Baltimore is doing a disservice to the game by not releasing him and moving on.
    • Yikes. Here's what the O's gave up in 24 hrs.:     WAR, 1991 ff.     Finley        43.5     Harnisch    17.6     Schilling    80.2     Tettleton    17.9     Total lost: 159.2 Davis        0.2     Robinson    -0.6     Total gained: -0.4         Total, net: 159.6 10 yrs    16 WAR/yr.     16 yrs.    10 WAR/yr.    
    • My wife and I went to Sunday's game with another couple and had a great time. A couple observations: - Bottom line up front is that I'd very much encourage folks to go. We've been relatively cautious during Covid, but really at no point felt cramped or uncomfortable. Certainly some of that is that now most of the folks I was with were fully vaccinated, but there's plenty of space in between seats and really not that many people. Even coming into the stadium and in concession lines, people were generally respectful of distance and it was no issue. I'm sure, anecdotally, there will always be someone messing up, but it wasn't an issue for us. Just wanted to start with that context for those that harbor understandable apprehensions, acknowledging everyone has different circumstances/risk perceptions. - Definitely make sure you read the modified regulations before you go - the issue with purses and parking, as some folks noted above, are definitely present. You've just got to be aware of them and plan (my wife switched out her purse just before leaving the house, and my friend's wife had a borderline-sized purse that got waved through after a little negotiation). I can't speak for parking, as we just did a garage on Pratt. - Mobile ticketing and electronic payments were all fully in use, so do recommend just coming prepared. If you're comfortable with using them, it's no issue, but understand some people aren't as tech savvy. Just a pretty minor planning factor. - Regarding masks, most people were good about wearing them, though clearly some of that slipped when people were sitting at their seats. I did see a few times where ushers enforced the masking at your seat rule, but it didn't seem overly draconian (it wasn't that if your beer left your lips for more than two seconds and your mask wasn't up, ushers would descend on you). Those patrons I observed were mostly compliant when directed (except the stray Phillies fan who decided to be difficult). Although I know some folks aren't crazy about it, to be honest, I've been at work every day for the last year wearing a mask the entire time for 8+ hours, so I'm not especially sympathetic. Little bit of a pain, but won't kill ya for a couple hours. - As others have stated, most but not all concessions appeared to be open. Prices did feel a touch on the steep side, but I'd bet they're comparable to what they were in 2019. The O's clearly haven't moved to the Ravens modified pricing. - Lastly, the bar scene before the game was of course quite different than normal, but still very workable and pleasant. Pickles, Sliders, etc have taken over huge spaces in front of their buildings, with plentiful tables well-spaced out. We got to Sliders at maybe 11:45 before a 1 o'clock game on a Sunday, and we had no issue getting a table. Again, overall would recommend folks go, if you're comfortable. I'll tell you it was absolutely great to get back out there and do something normal after having been cooped up for so long.
    • One last thought. When the reserve clause died in court and all players could become free agents every year, the players union was smart and agreed to a service requirement. It was good for salaries and good for the sport to control supply/demand, even if it seemed like a giveaway by the players. If there was a non-performance clause built into free agent contracts that gave some level of relief to owners, it would benefit salaries and the sport. Small to mid size teams would have more ability to chase top talent because the affect of a bad contract would be less calamitous to their limited payroll means if it was discounted by some percentage for non-performance. Ask Scott Boras if he’d rather have three teams bidding for his client or six. Our very own Albert Belle contract made insuring contracts fairly cost prohibitive (though it kinda seems like we’re keeping Davis on the roster for some reason other than insanity). But that practice of insuring contracts showed that there’s more money to spend on players if you give owners some level of protection from disaster contracts like Davis. Owners used to pay huge amounts to insure contracts before they became cost prohibitive. So if it’s good for competitiveness by allowing smaller teams to be more aggressive, and it’s good for player salaries, and it’s good for owners by protecting their investments, by what principle is a player entitled to the full value of a contract that they have essentially defaulted on for non-performance? 
  • Popular Contributors