Philip

Other pitchers: Mattson, Sceroler, Wells

I was looking at stats. I have no idea why Goudeau is here. He doesn’t seem to offer anything. But I noticed that Tyler Wells seems to have had more success than Sceroler. In 32.2 AA innings, he had a 1.13 WHIP.  Sceroler has a slightly lower 1.11 WHIP in 117 innings, but those were at single A. He’s a year younger, but I wonder why Sceroler allegedly has more potential?

Meanwhile, Matson had more success than either pitching at AA and AAA in 2019. In 9.1 AAA innings, he had 19 Ks( 5 BB).

Seems to me that Mattson and Wells should have real shots to make the team.

What am I missing?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

What am I missing?

A) Those are some very small sample sizes.

B) Mattson walked 5 guys in just over 9 IP in his SSS at AAA.

C) Elias brought in several veteran SPs on low-risk deals specifically to give our near-ready pitching prospects a bit more development time before chucking them into the deep end of the pool, which has been a pretty consistent problem during my 30ish years as an Orioles fan.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

A) Those are some very small sample sizes.

B) Mattson walked 5 guys in just over 9 IP in his SSS at AAA.

C) Elias brought in several veteran SPs on low-risk deals specifically to give our near-ready pitching prospects a bit more development time before chucking them into the deep end of the pool, which has been a pretty consistent problem during my 30ish years as an Orioles fan.

Yeah but Mattson also  had 19ks in 9 innings, and his AA stats were really good. I can’t imagine we won’t see him this season. And Wells seems to have more upside that Sceroler.

Isn't Goudeau that guy we claimed from the Pirates who looked like he might have figured something out in recent years despite being 28? I'm not saying he's going to hold down a spot in our rotation, but I don't mind seeing what he can do. Probably has more potential than some of the guys in camp

11 hours ago, Philip said:

Yeah but Mattson also  had 19ks in 9 innings, and his AA stats were really good. I can’t imagine we won’t see him this season. And Wells seems to have more upside that Sceroler.

19 Ks in ~9 IP is really good, but 5 BBs in ~9 IP is really bad (reminds me of Daniel Cabrera lol), especially since it all came in the minors. It's such a SSS that it's hard to draw much of a conclusion from it other than he will definitely start in the minors though.

I really doubt we try to keep both Rule 5 guys though (unless they both look absolutely GREAT in ST), so I guess whichever looks more ready has a good shot to stake a claim to a bullpen spot to open the season. Wouldn't completely shock me if both look overmatched in ST and get sent back either.

Tyler Wells, RHP, Baltimore Orioles: 1 IP, 1 BB, 1 K

It was nice to get a look at the giant 6-foot-8 Wells, one of Baltimore’s two Rule 5 picks who threw on Monday, given that he hasn’t been seen at all in the last two years while rehabbing from Tommy John. He came out sitting 93-95 with really tough angle because of his height. Baltimore has taken a go-wide approach to their rebuild, especially when it comes to acquiring pitching, and as a result they have several low-profile arms in their mid-20s fighting for big league reps. Wells was Baltimore’s hardest-throwing arm Monday.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-draft-and-spring-training-prospect-notes-nine-pack-3-2-2021/

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Didnt we hear that Wells, despite his size, was more of a soft tosser?

The only prior report I’ve seen on his velocity had him at 90-93.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The only prior report I’ve seen on his velocity had him at 90-93.

Maybe when they did the Tommy John they used a ligament from Bob Feller's cadaver?

• Haha 2

I didn't see much special about Sceroler or Wells in their outing but it was just 1 inning. I think they are extreme longshots regardless of how they pitch with the amount of veterans in the rotation and lack of openings in the bullpen.

Mattson we'll definitely see in the bullpen at some point this year, not sure if he cracks the team out ST though.

I'm curious about Josh Rogers, Britton trade guy coming off TJ. Everyone sort of forgets about him. 

• Upvote 1

o

TYLER AUSTIWELLS ))))))(vs. YANKEES, 3/26) )))))) [Spring Training]

3 lllShutout Innings.

6 llllStrikeouts.

1 llllBase-Runner )(Walk.)

41 )Pitches )(27 )Strikes, )14 )Balls.)

o

• Upvote 1