Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

What if Lowther is ready?

I was listening to Keith Law talk about lefty Jac Lowther and it brings up this question.   Law says Lowther gets great extension and a high spin rate on his pitches. It adds to his deception.  He says hitters just do not see the ball coming out of Lowthers hand.  Many uncomfortable at bats. Hitters does like facing him.  He doesn't think that makes Lowther a TOR starter but it does make him someone that will be a major league starter.

In 2019, that last time Lowther pitched in a pro season,  Lowther (25 in April)  had a  13-7, 2.55 ERA in 26 starts, 148 IP,  154 K and a  1.115 WHIP at AA Bowie.   What if he comes into camp and just shows he is ready.  Can he win a starting spot.  Does he go to Norfolk and be the first starter recalled when someone is injured or does not perform?    What do you think?

I think he’s by far the most likely of the non-MLB pitchers the make the roster.    But I doubt he will.    I think the O’s will have him throw some AAA games and have success before a call-up.  

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Then start him.  You don’t worry about gaming service time for him.

I'm sure it is absolutely existential that the O's control Lowther's age 31 season.

• Haha 3

Whether its early April or late April is not really an issue IMO.   Getting 5 months of Lowther if he is effective would be great progress.

I'm not going to complain if they wait a few weeks, but get him in the O's starting rotation.  We don't need to see him go against AAA/AAAA hitters.      

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If he's ready, he's ready.  I don't see the need to make a thread about this.  

Then why did you post in the thread?

• Haha 1

I don't know if there's room even if he's ready, really, assuming most of the current starter candidates are healthy and pitching well enough. Maybe he could battle Zimmermann if they go with 6 starters? 

Lowther will get his shot, but it'll probably be later this summer. 

I'm all for seeing Lowther and Wells as soon as they are ready. I can't think of anyone on the 40 man roster who should be held back if indeed they are ready. Question is whether they are ready and what is gained by pushing them up. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm all for seeing Lowther and Wells as soon as they are ready. I can't think of anyone on the 40 man roster who should be held back if indeed they are ready. Question is whether they are ready and what is gained by pushing them up. 

The better question is, what is lost?

A 2nd round pick that has done well since being picked, Lowther should be a  part of the O's rebuild.   Possibly a core member.  When he is ready he should start over Felix and Matt Harvey who are both stopgaps at this point.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A 2nd round pick that has done well since being picked, Lowther should be a  part of the O's rebuild.   Possibly a core member.  When he is ready he should start over Felix and Matt Harvey who are both stopgaps at this point.

I question if you have been reading the frankly exciting reports about those two.  I think we are going to see something special this season.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I question if you have been reading the frankly exciting reports about those two.  I think we are going to see something special this season.

Special isn't even the word for it.  

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, he should be part of the rebuild IF he’s good.  

But I agree with your point.  No reason to keep any of the vets over him if you feel he is ready to start now.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• o   lllllllllllllllllllllll. (vs. MARINERS, 12:35 PM)       llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll        llllllllllllllllllllll.l (vs. MARINERS, 4:05 PM)     llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll    o
    • Contracts like Davis really hurts the game overall more than it hurts the individual team. Typically teams that have a bad contract just pick up and move on from the player...meanwhile the fans hold a grudge towards the player. Baltimore is doing a disservice to the game by not releasing him and moving on.
    • Yikes. Here's what the O's gave up in 24 hrs.:     WAR, 1991 ff.     Finley        43.5     Harnisch    17.6     Schilling    80.2     Tettleton    17.9     Total lost: 159.2 Davis        0.2     Robinson    -0.6     Total gained: -0.4         Total, net: 159.6 10 yrs    16 WAR/yr.     16 yrs.    10 WAR/yr.    
    • My wife and I went to Sunday's game with another couple and had a great time. A couple observations: - Bottom line up front is that I'd very much encourage folks to go. We've been relatively cautious during Covid, but really at no point felt cramped or uncomfortable. Certainly some of that is that now most of the folks I was with were fully vaccinated, but there's plenty of space in between seats and really not that many people. Even coming into the stadium and in concession lines, people were generally respectful of distance and it was no issue. I'm sure, anecdotally, there will always be someone messing up, but it wasn't an issue for us. Just wanted to start with that context for those that harbor understandable apprehensions, acknowledging everyone has different circumstances/risk perceptions. - Definitely make sure you read the modified regulations before you go - the issue with purses and parking, as some folks noted above, are definitely present. You've just got to be aware of them and plan (my wife switched out her purse just before leaving the house, and my friend's wife had a borderline-sized purse that got waved through after a little negotiation). I can't speak for parking, as we just did a garage on Pratt. - Mobile ticketing and electronic payments were all fully in use, so do recommend just coming prepared. If you're comfortable with using them, it's no issue, but understand some people aren't as tech savvy. Just a pretty minor planning factor. - Regarding masks, most people were good about wearing them, though clearly some of that slipped when people were sitting at their seats. I did see a few times where ushers enforced the masking at your seat rule, but it didn't seem overly draconian (it wasn't that if your beer left your lips for more than two seconds and your mask wasn't up, ushers would descend on you). Those patrons I observed were mostly compliant when directed (except the stray Phillies fan who decided to be difficult). Although I know some folks aren't crazy about it, to be honest, I've been at work every day for the last year wearing a mask the entire time for 8+ hours, so I'm not especially sympathetic. Little bit of a pain, but won't kill ya for a couple hours. - As others have stated, most but not all concessions appeared to be open. Prices did feel a touch on the steep side, but I'd bet they're comparable to what they were in 2019. The O's clearly haven't moved to the Ravens modified pricing. - Lastly, the bar scene before the game was of course quite different than normal, but still very workable and pleasant. Pickles, Sliders, etc have taken over huge spaces in front of their buildings, with plentiful tables well-spaced out. We got to Sliders at maybe 11:45 before a 1 o'clock game on a Sunday, and we had no issue getting a table. Again, overall would recommend folks go, if you're comfortable. I'll tell you it was absolutely great to get back out there and do something normal after having been cooped up for so long.
    • One last thought. When the reserve clause died in court and all players could become free agents every year, the players union was smart and agreed to a service requirement. It was good for salaries and good for the sport to control supply/demand, even if it seemed like a giveaway by the players. If there was a non-performance clause built into free agent contracts that gave some level of relief to owners, it would benefit salaries and the sport. Small to mid size teams would have more ability to chase top talent because the affect of a bad contract would be less calamitous to their limited payroll means if it was discounted by some percentage for non-performance. Ask Scott Boras if he’d rather have three teams bidding for his client or six. Our very own Albert Belle contract made insuring contracts fairly cost prohibitive (though it kinda seems like we’re keeping Davis on the roster for some reason other than insanity). But that practice of insuring contracts showed that there’s more money to spend on players if you give owners some level of protection from disaster contracts like Davis. Owners used to pay huge amounts to insure contracts before they became cost prohibitive. So if it’s good for competitiveness by allowing smaller teams to be more aggressive, and it’s good for player salaries, and it’s good for owners by protecting their investments, by what principle is a player entitled to the full value of a contract that they have essentially defaulted on for non-performance? 
    • By the way, I agree that Davis’ contract was insanely stupid long before he showed us how stupid it was by his performance. Angeles victimized himself. But I’m talking more generally about non-performance of contracts. I think the top earners would fare even better if not for the associated risks by ownership. They aren’t playing with Monopoly money. The risk builds a discounting into what owners will spend. And smaller market teams are less able to take risks because the affect of one Davis-like contract on their smaller payroll is huge. On what principle should players receive the full value of a contract they unable to satisfy competently? We’re rained out tonight....I wouldn’t be asking otherwise. Wait, did you call me noob?  
    • How about a 10 minute deep cleaning between each use of a bathroom stall.  That would be a smarter measure to stop the spread of Covid.  (Or even hourly cleaning of bathroom stalls).  How many Covid infections have really been spread by "outside food"?
  • Popular Contributors