Jump to content
Legend_Of_Joey

Issues in Delmarva (and MiLB wide)

Recommended Posts

A bit of a sombering and disturbing bit of information coming out right now...

I’ve been in contact with a few players in different minor league organizations and was just informed that the Delmarva team just told their players that they will not have any living spaces provided once they get back from their road trip. This comes shortly after this fiasco:

While the Pelicans posted this announcement, I was getting other information that the Pelicans weren’t, in fact, giving players housing and instead players were sleeping in the clubhouse. 
 

Some other teams (Astros and I believe Mets are atleast two of them) are providing housing for their entire system. Due to the ongoing COVID stuff, players aren’t getting “host families” this year unlike other years. Players would also have to pay for their own accommodations. If you aren’t familiar with MiLB salaries...Let’s just say that they won’t exactly be living large...Or even medium. Some teams have players that managed to get a long term hotel rental and are cramming multiple players in there. But that doesn’t seem like something that is able to be done at most places.
 

I’ve asked some of the players what can be done to help and they are unsure and mainly in “panic mode.” 
 

If anyone has any help or knowledge on anything that can be done, please reach out. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is absurd that the MLB teams don't just own housing that they allow players to live in during the season.

It isn't as if MLB teams don't have the money, and real estate is a fine investment for the teams, and is comparatively cheap in most minor league cities. 

Short term rentals are so predatory for renters and minor league life is so transitory with players being called up and down on a whim, that it would be so much more efficient for the MLB team to manage the housing.

The teams know how many players there will be on a given team so they know how much housing they need, whereas players don't find out where they are going to be until a couple days before the season starts, and that can always change mid-season.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This seems crazy.   Players go on a road trip and are told they won’t have housing when they get back?    That doesn’t make sense.   

That’s what is happening in Delmarva. In another city, players were given a link to a hotel site to book their own accommodations for the night on the last day of a road trip, after being told the team hotel was fully booked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is a kick in the head.  The performance of the minor league clubs is the one bright spot in this organization, and now you're telling me that the organization would rather have their players worrying about finances and finding a place to live as opposed to focusing on baseball, just to save some money?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Well, this is a kick in the head.  The performance of the minor league clubs is the one bright spot in this organization, and now you're telling me that the organization would rather have their players worrying about finances and finding a place to live as opposed to focusing on baseball, just to save some money?  

My guess is that the guys that they care about probably don't have to worry about their finances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

A bit of a sombering and disturbing bit of information coming out right now...

I’ve been in contact with a few players in different minor league organizations and was just informed that the Delmarva team just told their players that they will not have any living spaces provided once they get back from their road trip. This comes shortly after this fiasco:

While the Pelicans posted this announcement, I was getting other information that the Pelicans weren’t, in fact, giving players housing and instead players were sleeping in the clubhouse. 
 

Some other teams (Astros and I believe Mets are atleast two of them) are providing housing for their entire system. Due to the ongoing COVID stuff, players aren’t getting “host families” this year unlike other years. Players would also have to pay for their own accommodations. If you aren’t familiar with MiLB salaries...Let’s just say that they won’t exactly be living large...Or even medium. Some teams have players that managed to get a long term hotel rental and are cramming multiple players in there. But that doesn’t seem like something that is able to be done at most places.
 

I’ve asked some of the players what can be done to help and they are unsure and mainly in “panic mode.” 
 

If anyone has any help or knowledge on anything that can be done, please reach out. Thank you.

Awful. Wish I had the money/home in Maryland to help. That really pisses me off.  If I ur front office refuses to rectify this, I will have a hard time being a fan of this organization. Please keep us posted. Thanks. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this type of behavior really surprising given what we have seen from the team since the sons took over?

 

It certainly is unfortunate, and if I had to guess once this hits the news properly it will all be a misunderstanding.  🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is this type of behavior really surprising given what we have seen from the team since the sons took over?

 

It certainly is unfortunate, and if I had to guess once this hits the news properly it will all be a misunderstanding.  🙄

Nope, sadly not surprising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t expect baseball owners to be great humanitarians.   I do expect them to do what’s in the major league team’s best interests.    Putting aside the whole question of whether teams should subsidize or supply housing for their players, how does it make sense to start the season under one set of rules, then tell the players during a road trip that they’ll have no housing when they return?    That’s almost guaranteed to hamper the players’ performance.  Something about this story doesn’t add up.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that they are re-instituting host housing, as are most of the major league teams, but like two. 

I agree with others in this thread, that it would make much more sense for the Orioles to continue to provide housing to the minor leaguers Heck, see if you can rent a dorm from a local college. 

(This is also a separate issue then what happened with the Pelicans and the hotel) 

Edited by seak05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Marte, who may considered the best CF option via FA, was just signed by the Mets.
    • On the contrary, it is completely true. The team will have ebbs and flows, based on random chance And misfortune such as is happening to Kjested right now, But if you avoid long-term contracts, all of which are stupid, trade your guys at peak value and restock the farm, and there’s no reason why you can’t continually be a positive team. The Cardinals do it and they never have a single digit draft choice they always draft in the high teens, and yet they still have a good team over and over.
    • Going into 2009, Tillman was BA’s no. 22 prospect, Matusz no. 25, Arrieta no. 67.   Britton wasn’t ranked yet but was no. 63 the next year.  Brad Bergesen was the reigning Eastern League pitcher of the year.   David Hernandez had led the league. In strikeouts.   So, it was a more impressive group than your post suggests.   
    • Even worse living with the knowledge that Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt Jr. could have been the Orioles owner all this time, but thanks to Peter Angelos outbidding him it never happened. 
    • Nothing happens til it happens, but can we glean anything meaningful from what the insiders say?   ”Listening to offers” means nothing. Does anyone NOT listen to offers? However, that’s probably indicates less interest than a term like… ”Dangling.” What does that mean? Is GM A calling up GM B and saying,” hey, I got this hot guy, and he can be yours! All I need is XX.” Is GM A being coy and hitting that MAAAAAAYBE he’ll listen…? Regardless, it probably indicates more desire to trade, but maybe not as much as… “Eager to deal” or “seeking the best matchup” which is where GM A is calling up everyone in the Rolodex and saying,” Have I got a deal for you! AND if you ACT NOW…no? Well, how about……etc etc” All  those terms indicate at least partially dealing from a position of “I don’t have to” “I’m in no hurry” “if you don’t, someone else will,” and so on. But pity the guys who… ”Are willing to eat most of the contract…” the fools who rush in, and then find it veeeeery expensive to rush back out.. poor San Diego would be less poor if they hadn’t flung all that cash at Mr Hosmer, but they did, and he has been smiling ever since…and they..” are willing to eat most of his contract” Anyway, where does that leave the Orioles? We’re listening. Sure we are. Everyone listens except your cat in the backyard who doesn’t want to come in yet. We are “dangling”…. That means we’re listening a bit more earnestly, but still it’s our call. Nothing will happen unless it’s very good for the Bmore boys. So let’s see what kind of horse trader Mike is, and what can he bring home in return for the shiny bauble he is dangling…
    • I think we are going to have to get some favorable results from our own young pitchers to improve significantly in 2022. Last year was a bottom 20% outcome in that regard compared to the range of possible outcomes from that group.    If things break the other way in 2022 we could see a lot more wins.   But you can’t just expect that to happen given their performance to date.   
    • I’m happy they’re open to listening to offers.   Obviously, you don’t trade him unless there’s a lot coming back.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...