SteveA

Tuesday, September 14: Yankees come to town

So when Wells is DFA-Ed and goes back to Australia, where they have universal health care anyway, his lifetime health insurance from MLB won’t mean anything.

And he doesn’t qualify for a pension yet.

Sorry Pal…

Hate to give up on a guy so early but Alex Wells does not look like he has major league chops. Or even realistically close to it. I don’t like that 90mph flat fastball or the 73mph slow curve. And I don’t really see a changeup. He made it very far for a undrafted signee. 

Just now, Matt Bennett said:

Hate to give up on a guy so early but Alex Wells does not look like he has major league chops. Or even realistically close to it. I don’t like that 90mph flat fastball or the 73mph slow curve. And I don’t really see a changeup. He made it very far for a undrafted signee. 

Like Vlad Jr and Ohtani?  Well I guess Ohtani was drafted, just not by a MLB team.

14 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I don't think a team as needy to find and develop pitching talent as the Orioles can afford to give up early on a pitcher with his good AA / AAA record.

Home from work, nice to have Jim Palmer back.

Good inning from Wells, although the horse has already left the proverbial barn.

One inning of Melanie Newman play by play on the way home has me annoyed.

1) Voit's home run was "headed for the third deck in left field".   Yeah, right.   I believe the upper deck in left field has only ever been hit with Home Run derby balls by Juan Gonzalez.   Getting a HR to the club level (second deck) happens maybe 1 or 2 times a year in 81 games played here.  NOTHING reaches the third (upper) deck.

2) On Pedro's throwing error she says the runner is going and it bounces wide of Urias and Cedric has to back it up and the runner goes all the way to 3rd.  I was able to figure out that "it" referred to a throw from Pedro to try to get the runner.   But you should tell me what's happening, not make me have to solve a logic problem to figure out what you are saying.  Then after the fact she describes the throw as bouncing in front of Urias.   So now I have no idea if it was "wide" of Urias as she described it live or "bounced in front of him" as she described after the fact, or maybe some conbination of the two.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

We knew what his stuff was as he was coming up through the minors.   But he kept having success at level after level.  So we had to give him the chance in the majors and doing it in a year like this makes sense.  And for lack of many alternatives I say we give him 3 more starts.  But yes, it appears the writing is on the wall.  He can't consistently get major league hitters out.  He has to be perfect, and that's not going to happen.