ORIOLE33

How Is Camden Yards Holding Up?

Is it showing real signs of age and does it need significant repairs? It still looks good on TV, but so doesn’t Fenway and I’ve heard stories about that place. 

I ask because even though Camden isn’t ancient, it’s not new anymore. 

The club level definitely needs to be refreshed, it is pretty depressing.

The upper deck, lower deck and Eutaw Street area are quite nice.

Could use new tvs throughout and an updated sound system.

Structure wise it has looked good to me.  

With Covid and low attendance they have really skimped on the amenities...reduced choices and quality of concessions, lots of stands closed, "express" lines that are slower than the regular lines, etc.    And of course this happens simultaneously with the ban on bringing in outside food.

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The club level definitely needs to be refreshed, it is pretty depressing.

The upper deck, lower deck and Eutaw Street area are quite nice.

Could use new tvs throughout and an updated sound system.

Good point on the sound system.   It's been an issue for a long time.

And depending on where you sit it can be really good or inaudible or too loud.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Good point on the sound system.   It's been an issue for a long time.

And depending on where you sit it can be really good or inaudible or too loud.

Yeah, I have no idea what the cost would be to fix the sound system.

I do know that flat screen tvs are incredibly cheap and they could easily upgrade all of the tvs next to the concession stands and under the overhangs in the back of the lower level and club level for well under $50K. Half of the tvs don't work and the ones that do all look terrible because they are the world's oldest flat screens. Super easy fix.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, I have no idea what the cost would be to fix the sound system.

I do know that flat screen tvs are incredibly cheap and they could easily upgrade all of the tvs next to the concession stands and under the overhangs in the back of the lower level and club level for well under $50K. Half of the tvs don't work and the ones that do all look terrible because they are the world's oldest flat screens. Super easy fix.

I certainly hope the Angeloses make that kind of modest upgrade. But from their point of view, why should they? Will it attract more fans or get fans to come back to watch their terrible team? Will it help sell season tickets? Will a prospective buyer of the Orioles pay more because these things get upgraded? 

5 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I certainly hope the Angeloses make that kind of modest upgrade. But from their point of view, why should they? Will it attract more fans or get fans to come back to watch their terrible team? Will it help sell season tickets? Will a prospective buyer of the Orioles pay more because these things get upgraded? 

I think the state of the stadium would impact valuation in a sale.  I am certain that upgrades are not going to transfer dollar for dollar to the bottom line value, but in general, valuation would be impacted by the stadium being rundown.  The question is whether potential increase is worth the net value after tax.  If the tax rates are pushed higher, I think a sale will come quicker.

Either way, this winter would be a wonderful time to sell. At current tax rates, while hyping the potential value of players on the way and leaving a nearly blank slate for payroll.  (Davis' remainder notwithstanding)

A guy can dream.  Don't besmirch me for dreaming.

Overall I think Camden Yards has held up remarkably well.   They’ve done a couple of rounds of upgrades over the years, and I expect some more will be coming.  But it’s an absolutely beautiful place to see a game.   Now let’s upgrade the team that plays in it!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Are the Orioles responsible for stadium upgrades or the Maryland Stadium Authority, or some combination of the two?

Depends what the lease says, but I think generally it’s been on the Stadium Authority.   In fact I recall there was some kind of dispute several years ago about scoreboard improvements or something.   Recall that the O’s signed a short lease extension recently, and I’d imagine that issues regarding improvements will await a longer term lease.   

16 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Either way, this winter would be a wonderful time to sell. At current tax rates, while hyping the potential value of players on the way and leaving a nearly blank slate for payroll.  (Davis' remainder notwithstanding)

A guy can dream.  Don't besmirch me for dreaming.

From a financial standpoint it would make very little sense to sell before Peter Angelos dies. If they sell before he dies, his investment in the Orioles would realize a capital gain and he would owe taxes on that capital gain. If the team is sold after he dies, the heirs would get a stepped up basis on the investment in the Orioles and would not owe taxes on capital gains upon selling the team.

The heirs will owe inheritance taxes, whether those inheritance taxes can be paid without selling the team is the big question. The amount of the inheritance tax depends on their estate planning strategy. Likely, Peter Angelos' interest in the team was moved into a trust which froze the value owed for inheritance tax purposes to the value of his interest at the time the team was moved into the trust.

It still looks good.  

3 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I was there on Lavor Day.  Looked great to me. Even better than Nats Park which lacked character. 

I wonder if Orioles fans would be dumping on Nats park like they do, simply because it's the Nats and the whole "rivalry."

The open concourse at Nats stadium is fantastic.  It's great to be able to walk around and get food and still have access to watching the game.