Greg Pappas

The O's Likely Will Take Machado.

Shouldn't every player be a good fastball hitter?:scratchchinhmm:

Not out of high school. It takes a special HS talent to be able to routinely hit 90+ MPH fastballs.

Shouldn't every player be a good fastball hitter?:scratchchinhmm:

He is said to be the type of hitter that can turn on a 90 MPH + heater. Not all hitters can do that...He bites on the curve somewhat ...But he has quick hands and good bat speed. The key to this whole selection is whether he sticks at SS.

Where does Givens play? Aren't they likely to be at the same level at some point during their minor league careers?

Yes, perhaps as soon as next season (lo-A) due to Givens injury and subsequent surgery. It will be an interesting development to follow.

The think with Machado is that I hope the Orioles don't mess around with Boras and just get the guy signed and into the system.

You know if you take him he's going to be demanding $7-9 million, so give it to him and get him playing ball this year.

The longer the negotations draw out, the slower he'll go through your minor league ranks and won't be able to help your club.

It shouldn't have to take until mid-August to sign him if you know what you are in for.

This is why I take Colon, he wants to be an Oriole and he will be ready by 2012. Machado is a risk in he may not sign and we may screw him up.

If I were a rich baseball owner, I'd love to just once agree to Boras' first offer. You know, the crazy offer he puts on the table that he knows he won't get? Just to see the look on his face, and just to plant the doubt in his head that he went in way too low.

Oh wait, Hicks already did that...

• Upvote 1

This is why I take Colon, he wants to be an Oriole and he will be ready by 2012. Machado is a risk in he may not sign and we may screw him up.

Of course he wants to be an O, he wants to go 3rd not 10th. Just like Hobgood wanted to be an O, it got him drafted 5th instead of 20th.

At 3 you take the BPA and that looks to be Machado.

He'll sign. He may fall out of the top 10 if he wants to tangle with the talent in next years draft.

It will be interesting to see what type of timeline it takes for Machado to reach the bigs. I'm not sure that he is necessarily the caliber of bat that will be on the fast track to the bigs.

Machado is on the young-ish side for a high school senior -- doesn't turn 18 until July 6. He's almost a full year younger than Hobgood was when we drafted him, and about 14 months younger than Mychal Givens was when he was drafted last year.

I'd love it if we could get him signed quickly and get him some time in the GCL or the Appy League this season. With Boras as his agent, that's not too likely.

Machado is on the young-ish side for a high school senior -- doesn't turn 18 until July 6. He's almost a full year younger than Hobgood was when we drafted him, and about 14 months younger than Mychal Givens was when he was drafted last year.

I'd love it if we could get him signed quickly and get him some time in the GCL or the Appy League this season. With Boras as his agent, that's not too likely.

It's virtually impossible. Expect a long, drawn out process.

He is fairly advanced for a high school hitter, though, and I think he could step into full season ball nicely next year either way.

Am I alone in loving the way this guy runs the bases?

I think PBR Street Gang might have something to say about that ;)