Munson

2004 College Lacrosse Thread

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by theklaffer [/i]
[B]

I really didn't think Towson belonged in the quarters anyway, and I htink they ended up right where they belonged. They are a tournament-quality program, but they are not a top 8 team. I suppose they may break through once in a blue moon, but they just aren't on that level. Sorry to break it to you.

[/B][/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the 2nd ranked faceoff man in the nation, one of the top 1st line midfields, and an underated attack, where the top scorer is a freshman, and a goalie that keeps the team in the game...

yeah...not top 8 quality :rolleyes:

Guest theklaffer
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by imagine29028 [/i]
[B]:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the 2nd ranked faceoff man in the nation, one of the top 1st line midfields, and an underated attack, where the top scorer is a freshman, and a goalie that keeps the team in the game...

yeah...not top 8 quality :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

You can produce your arbitrary BS rankings of their players all you want, it doesn't cahnge the fact that they aren't as good as you'd like to think. Did they break the top 8 even once this season? Did you not admit yourself that their 'one of the top 1st line midfields' is all graduating? Give me a break.

Towson isn't on the same plain as Hopkins, Syracuse, Princeton, Maryland, and UVA, all of which are elite programs with consistent Final 4 appearances and (except for Maryland) titles. They aren't as good a program as Georgetown or UNC either (now that UNC is back on track). That's 7 right there. So there needs to be 1 other program that is consistently better than Towson.

Honestly, that program is Loyola, who's having a down cycle. But Towson couldn't even fill that void this year, getting replaced by schools like Navy, Rutgers, and Cornell.

UMass is another one that could have jumped in to replace Loyola and choked this season.

There are 5 elite programs in college lacrosse, and Carolina is the borderline 6th (3 titles, but no recent success). Georgetown has establihed itself as a legitimate contender every year. Loyola has traditionally been there every year too. After those 8, Navy, Towson, and maybe som of the Ivies are in the next tier.

So, no, they are not a top 8 program, despite your high opinion of their players.

[B]
Honestly, that program is Loyola, who's having a down cycle. But Towson couldn't even fill that void this year, getting replaced by schools like Navy, Rutgers, and Cornell.
[/b][/quote]
Even though I agree with you that Towson isn't a top 8 team, these really aren't three good schools to use. Towson beat Rutgers this year. This is the first year Navy has done anything in a good while, and Cornell hasn't done anything either.

[quote][b]
Georgetown has establihed itself as a legitimate contender every year. [/B][/QUOTE]
Georgetown may be better than Towson, but I wouldn't necessarily call them a legitimate contender every year. They haven't even been in the final four yet.

Guest theklaffer
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Munson [/i]
[B]Even though I agree with you that Towson isn't a top 8 team, these really aren't three good schools to use. Towson beat Rutgers this year. This is the first year Navy has done anything in a good while, and Cornell hasn't done anything either.

Georgetown may be better than Towson, but I wouldn't necessarily call them a legitimate contender every year. They haven't even been in the final four yet. [/B][/QUOTE]

My point about those schools was that they each made at least an appearance in the top 8 this year, something Towson failed to do. Rutgers was ranked as high as #5 or 6 at one point (after beating Syracuse), and the other two are in the quarterfinals. OK, so none of them are premier programs. I never said they were - they just filled the void left by Loyola better than Towson did.

As for Georgetown, you are correct that the words 'legitimate contender' probably should have been reserved until they make a couple Final Four appearances. Still, the fact is that they are of late a perennial top 8 team, and Towson is not, nor have they been in about 12 years. I therefore consider Georgetown's program to be superior to Towson's at this point (especially considering how recently they joined D-I and how quickly they've established themselves since they arrived).

Look, I'm sorry to be the guy who is constantly dissing Towson on this board. I really have nothing against them except that they hired the incompetant Tony Seaman. But I refuse to allow the inflated expectations of their fans go unchallenged.

Towson lacrosse is a second-tier program that plays a second-tier schedule and produces tournament-quality teams that are not good enough to contend for championships.

Oh, and BTW, there is NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING bad about being second-tier in lacrosse. It means that they are consistently one of the top 10-15 teams in the country, which is highly commendable. They just aren't good enough to be considered among the elite programs.

[B]You can produce your arbitrary BS rankings of their players all you want, it doesn't cahnge the fact that they aren't as good as you'd like to think. Did they break the top 8 even once this season? Did you not admit yourself that their 'one of the top 1st line midfields' is all graduating? Give me a break.

[/B][/QUOTE]

See them not breaking more than a #10 ranking means jack crap to me...you can't evaluate a team's quality by that. The only reason they never broke that top 10 is because of the losses to Loyola, UVA, and MD.

I agree Towson is not in the company of UVA, MD, Hopkins, Cuse, or Princeton.....I never made that arguement. But they had, and will have the next few years, the players, and the makeup to contend with any team in the country, and pull a few suprises along the way.

Georgetown simply outplayed them on sunday...I am not denying that...but to say that the Hoyas have a better, more skilled team than Towson is crazy. Besides having #1 faceoff man in the country, and an over-valued player in Hajj they don't have any spectacular players. They win, by out-hustling other teams, and by wanting to win more. And there should have been no reason what so ever, for them to play Georgetown in the first round....while Hobart got a higher ranking, and played Cornell.

Cornell, UNC, Rutgers, and UMass are all hit and miss...some years they look wonderful...some years they look like crap. I'll even throw Duke and Notre Dame in that category as well.

Hopkins/Syracuse and Navy/Princeton.

A Hopkins/Navy rematch in the final would be awesome. Both will have to earn their way in though, Princeton and Syracuse have made it quite a habit winning this time of year.

Guest theklaffer
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by mdpatsfan [/i]
[B]Hopkins/Syracuse and Navy/Princeton.

A Hopkins/Navy rematch in the final would be awesome. Both will have to earn their way in though, Princeton and Syracuse have made it quite a habit winning this time of year. [/B][/QUOTE]

I absolutely despise the fact that Syracuse and Princeton are both back in the Final Four. I sincerely hope they both lose big, because the thought of either of them having another shot at a title makes me sick to my stomach.

Go JAYS! Maybe this is the year of the return to pre-eminence.

Guest theklaffer
Serving notice about Hopkins' viability for next year: Expect no layoff!

Of the players listed on the starting attack, the first two midfields, the starting defense, the top two goalies and the defensive midfield, only three are seniors.

Great game today. It sucks that Navy lost though. Now that the college season is over, it looks like it's all Bayhawks until next year. Is anybody interested in getting a group together for a Bayhawks game? I'm looking forward to doing some tailgating. Here's a link to their schedule.

[url]http://www.majorleaguelacrosse.com/0,5911,1_437_0_10804,00.html[/url]

I actually watched the game today and it was great. I thought Navy blew the game at the end, but what a hard contested game. I hate lacrosse, but I have to admit its fun to watch. Maybe I just hate playing it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Munson [/i]
[B]Great game today. It sucks that Navy lost though. Now that the college season is over, it looks like it's all Bayhawks until next year. Is anybody interested in getting a group together for a Bayhawks game? I'm looking forward to doing some tailgating. Here's a link to their schedule.

[url]http://www.majorleaguelacrosse.com/0,5911,1_437_0_10804,00.html[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in getting a group together for a game. The Bayhawks should be fun to watch this year and they should be even better once they get Mike Powell.