Tony-OH

Say what you want, but I like the Sosa deal

Here's another article, I am not sure if it has been posted (I really don't feel like looking through 50 threads and 2,000 posts on the topic to see if it came up all ready :P ).

AP

Some quotes:

“Maybe I’m putting my foot in my mouth,” Orioles pitching coach Ray Miller said Saturday, “but if you give me eight runs a game, I’ll figure out the rest.”

“He’s going to be a great impact on the lineup,” Baltimore outfielder David Newhan said. “Plus, that personality, that energy he brings, it’s something we needed.”

“We’ll probably hit him fourth, though we haven’t talked about it yet,” hitting coach Terry Crowley said. “It’s a big addition. It will make us better; I’m just not sure how much better.”

Please, no one read that story. It is written by a knucklehead who claims the Orioles have "no pitching." The knucklehead's name is Mike Celizic. Who the heck is Mike Celizic and how did he get his opinions listed on msnbc?

Really, my 7 year old could write as lucid a baseball analysis as that story.

I just sent the following email to the Editor at MSNBC:

The article "Orioles have no clue, stupid to get Sosa" published on MSNBC on Jan 29, 2005 by Mike Celizic at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6883352/ was not only offensive to me as a reader and an O's fan, it was one of the worst examples of trash journalism I have ever seen published in any forum. If this is an example of the type of content MSNBC promotes, I certainly won't ever link over to msn.com again.

Mister Celizic's logic is horribly flawed and biased towards his hometown team throughout the article. His statements suggesting the Yankees pitching staff last year was significantly better than the "no named" Orioles staff is easily disproved simply by comparing the staff ERA's for the season. His use of such words as "dunderheads" and "knuckleheads" wouldn't be worthy of a quality high school journalist, much less a writer on the national stage. He fails to back up his assertions with any facts or even with statistical evidence or expert commentary from players, coaches or anyone else for that matter.

Possibly the worst part of this article is his inability to see the clear benefits that the Orioles and their fans will enjoy from Sosa's move to Baltimore - namely higher revenues from ticket sales as fans flock to see Sosa play and a lot more play for the team with national media as they follow Sosa (who still enjoys superstar status despite any percieved decline in his performance) in his new town. This presumes that Sosa doesn't actually improve his game at all and doesn't include his impact as a marketing icon for any new cable channel that Angelos might put in place or the PR bonanza the team will enjoy as Sosa closes in on 600 HRs.

I would love to have the opportunity to post a counter point to Mr. Celzic's article, and I guarantee it would be more lucid, have more facts backing it up and be less biased than what he authored.

Regards,

David Etheredge

I just sent the following email to the Editor at MSNBC:

The article "Orioles have no clue, stupid to get Sosa" published on MSNBC on Jan 29, 2005 by Mike Celizic at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6883352/ was not only offensive to me as a reader and an O's fan, it was one of the worst examples of trash journalism I have ever seen published in any forum. If this is an example of the type of content MSNBC promotes, I certainly won't ever link over to msn.com again.

Mister Celizic's logic is horribly flawed and biased towards his hometown team throughout the article. His statements suggesting the Yankees pitching staff last year was significantly better than the "no named" Orioles staff is easily disproved simply by comparing the staff ERA's for the season. His use of such words as "dunderheads" and "knuckleheads" wouldn't be worthy of a quality high school journalist, much less a writer on the national stage. He fails to back up his assertions with any facts or even with statistical evidence or expert commentary from players, coaches or anyone else for that matter.

Possibly the worst part of this article is his inability to see the clear benefits that the Orioles and their fans will enjoy from Sosa's move to Baltimore - namely higher revenues from ticket sales as fans flock to see Sosa play and a lot more play for the team with national media as they follow Sosa (who still enjoys superstar status despite any percieved decline in his performance) in his new town. This presumes that Sosa doesn't actually improve his game at all and doesn't include his impact as a marketing icon for any new cable channel that Angelos might put in place or the PR bonanza the team will enjoy as Sosa closes in on 600 HRs.

I would love to have the opportunity to post a counter point to Mr. Celzic's article, and I guarantee it would be more lucid, have more facts backing it up and be less biased than what he authored.

Regards,

David Etheredge

Awesome! :D

He will likely be here for at least 2 years. We will sign him to some type of extension. It wouldn't go over well with fans to only have him here for 1 year.

We may attract other FA's to come here, after

A) Sosa is here and reverts to his old form

B) We start winning because of that

So, when Sosa leaves, we now have other guys ready to take over.

This was a good move by the FO, don't spin it differently.

Do you think I was "spinning" it too negatively still?

I think it's just one more indication that this team has no clear direction. Heck, I'm as excited as anyone to see if Sosa CAN really be the power hitter we've been needing. BUT, it doesn't even put us close to catching up with Boston and NY and we're just wasting trade-bait with this move. Will it seel some seats? Yeah, maybe. I'd be more excited to hear B&F come out tomorrow and, instead of announcing this trade, announce what their long-term strategy to field a contender is. I'd rather hear that they took the 7M they're paying Sosa and actually invest it in the farm system and scouting and signing our draft picks. That's what would make me happy. This is neutral at best. This is just more cosmetic, reactive management that got us to 7 straight losing seasons to begin with.

I still think this is true.

This seems like an absolute panic move which is par for the course with this team that is more interested in selling tickets than building a winner. At this point we'll have Sosa, Lopez, Palmeiro, and Ponson all leaving the team once we find out if Bedard and the like are ready to contribute, brilliant. :rolleyes: I'll reserve ultimate judgment until we figure out how much money is going to be spent on Sosa but there had to be better options. Besides the fact that Sosa exposed himself to be a self-centered jerk last year (nothing in common with Tejada) the guy is on a downward spiral to Bolivian. Maybe the Cubs will be picking up millions on this deal but I have to believe there is a handshake somewhere where Sosa resigns for a couple more years in Baltimore. This team is making it very hard for me to follow right now.

Very prescient.

I still think it was a good trade. This trade will always be a good trade in my eyes no matter what happens, or what has happened, just as the D-Bat trade will always be a bad trade, even if he never pitches another inning in the majors.

I'm not saying there weren't better options that we should have/could have looked at. (Delgado, Sexson, Beltre, Dye) But the fact of the matter is trading a bench player for a guy that hit 35 HR's in his worst year ever was a good move. (IMO)

Well it's funny how the Orioles were the only ones seriously considering trading for Sosa if it was such a great deal. And Hairston's career is not over yet as well as one of the minor leaguers in the trade. Sosa contributed less than nothing to the Orioles though, pretty much as some of us thought he wouldn't. By your method of evaluation, trading for Glenn Davis was brilliant.

Well it's funny how the Orioles were the only ones seriously considering trading for Sosa if it was such a great deal. And Hairston's career is not over yet as well as one of the minor leaguers in the trade. Sosa contributed less than nothing to the Orioles though, pretty much as some of us thought he wouldn't. By your method of evaluation, trading for Glenn Davis was brilliant.

The trade got Hairston off the team, which is a primary reason why Roberts blossomed. That in and of itself was worth making the deal for. If we hadn't done it, Roberts would have been looking over his shoulder and the team could have played juggling 2Bs all season.

Instead, we told Roberts to sink or swim, and he crossed the Atlantic for us.

If we kept him, we would have received even less than Sosa because everyone would have known we had to dump one of the two.

The trade got Hairston off the team, which is a primary reason why Roberts blossomed. That in and of itself was worth making the deal for. If we hadn't done it, Roberts would have been looking over his shoulder and the team could have played juggling 2Bs all season.

If we kept him, we would have received even less than Sosa because everyone would have known we had to dump one of the two.

Is it possible to get less than Sosa? :o

I don't understand this line of thinking that says the trade was good because it opened up second base for Roberts. Would it have been a good deal to just waive Hairston to open up second for Hairston?

The only reason this trade was not a disaster is that Sosa was only signed for one year. If the organization did offer him an extension as rumored earlier this year, the Orioles are extremely luck that Sosa did not accept.

• Downvote 1

Is it possible to get less than Sosa? :o

I agree. Talk about rationalizing. Tell you what, homers, check this thread. It's not about hindsight, some of us were saying this was stupid from the get go. We would have done better just waiving Hairston and spending the 8.5M on a REAL player.

We could have traded Hairston for someone else, maybe someone who would actually help the franchise, or at least not hurt it, so that reason doesn't fly at all for me. And yeah, it would be almost impossible to get less than Sosa looking back on it.

• Upvote 1

We could have traded Hairston for someone else, maybe someone who would actually help the franchise....

THANK YOU! Go back and read the tape on this thread. That's exactly what I said at the time.

• Upvote 1

THANK YOU! Go back and read the tape on this thread. That's exactly what I said at the time.

I gonna lock this thread before it turns from a classic thread to bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking. The trade gave the Orioles a shot at something for giving up very little. It was a good trade, it just didn't work out because Sammy bombed.

Stop patting yourself on the back, you were only right in that Sammy ended up stinking up the joint. Other than that, you and the others were dead wrong.

Even now, if you think giving up Hairston or believing he had some sort of value you are sadly mistaken. He is what he is, and that's a part time utility guy. He wasn't going to be a key part of any type of major trade that was going to net us anything to improve the team.

B&F's failure to land a slugger was the main reason for this trade. Since they failed, they had to try something, and they did it without hurting the future. it didn't work out, but it didn't hurt us either, and if you take Roberts blossoming, then the trade helped.