Tony-OH

Say what you want, but I like the Sosa deal

Most fans will be very excited about this signing. It helps the O's compete with Washington for the average fan. Are you going to take your kids out to see Vinny Castilla or Sammy Sosa?

Exactly. Heck, it makes me feel almost like a kid again.

That's a good point. Although I believe Sammy can still be productive, he along with Tejada and Mora make the Orioles an exciting bunch to watch. That should translate to more seats sold and give the Oriole fan something to look forward to watching.

Exactly. Heck, it makes me feel almost like a kid again.

I was against dealing for Sosa, but I can't help but like this deal. I've got tingles down my spine.

I agree with Tony as well, so long as its the three players rumored.

The best part about this deal is Tom Boswell will have to eat his words from that silly column yesterday. The National's haven't had a better off season now, and we beat them out on the deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39921-2005Jan26.html

Tom Boswell has turned into such an Oriole hatter, I’m sure hill spin us beating out the Nationals.

As late as Friday afternoon, the Cubs also were talking to the Washington Nationals about a deal to send Sosa to the new team in the nation's capital. See http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8142226

I don't agree. Lots of players are productive into thie late 30's so who's to say Sammy won't be here to be a help? Say he has a good year next year, enjoys Baltimore, and thinks were on the edge of something. Say he resigns for something like Palmeiro did? We may not get the 60 homer Sammy, but I'll take the 35 homer Sammy.

But the key is, we are better this year and we didn't morgage the future to do it. This is a win-win situation if you ask me.

And that 35 HR Sammy only played in 126 games. The DH and close confines of Camden can only help increase this output (unless, of course, his age has something to say about that). I'm really liking this. Low risk, High reward.

I can't wait to see Tejada teach Sosa the twelve step handshake...

MurphDogg...where have you been? Good to hear from you.

Anyway...the first thing that popped into my head a few minutes ago as my wife and I lay in bed and I flipped to ESPNews to find the trade was nearly complete was this:

Name 2 players that have more fun playing baseball than Miguel Tejada and Sammy Sosa. Go ahead and try. There aren't any. We argue stats, X's and O's all we want. The bottom line is this team is going to be more fun to watch in 2005 than it has been in many years.

Welcome, Slammin' Sammy Sosa to Baltimore. Bring on the 2005 MLB season!!!

This is truly amazing to me. The team we supposedly support has traded away our 2B of the future with great upside, a pitcher with upside (and possibly 2 more prospects depending on the deal) for an old, selfish outfielder who can't field and who hit .254 last year. Jerry as our CF would have been a much better situation than this. At least he gets on base and can catch the damn ball.

:mad::mad::mad:

And that 35 HR Sammy only played in 126 games. The DH and close confines of Camden can only help increase this output (unless, of course, his age has something to say about that). I'm really liking this. Low risk, High reward.

I don't think the confines of OPACY will be as easy to hit HR's as Wrigley is.

That's a good point. Although I believe Sammy can still be productive, he along with Tejada and Mora make the Orioles an exciting bunch to watch. That should translate to more seats sold and give the Oriole fan something to look forward to watching.

That's the only thing a move like this would be about. And I for one am tired of half-measures and reactive moves just to sell seats for one season. How does this deal make us better long-term?

Shame on you, Tony, for falling for this typical Angelos fluff smoke and mirrors. :(

This is truly amazing to me. The team we supposedly support has traded away our 2B of the future with great upside

?????????? The extra second baseman on the team(?) is the 2nd baseman of the future?! It wasn't even going to be his job THIS YEAR.

?????????? The extra second baseman on the team(?) is the 2nd baseman of the future?! It wasn't even going to be his job THIS YEAR.

He was referring to Fontenot, who is A) Not that much younger than Roberts and may not be better and B) Is seen by many as less of a prospect than Nate Spears...

That's the only thing a move like this would be about. And I for one am tired of half-measures and reactive moves just to sell seats for one season. How does this deal make us better long-term?

Shame on you, Tony, for falling for this typical Angelos fluff smoke and mirrors. :(

Are you kidding me? This does make the team better and if the rumored players involved is all we gave up then this doesn't hurt our future either way. I can't see how anyone can have a bad opinion of this move. We are better this year. We are more exciting to watch, and potentially, this deal could have a huge upside. Can you say that about anything else this offseason?