Sign in to follow this  
ScottieBaseball

Orioles Hangout Top 10 Prospects - #10 - Zach Britton - LHP

Who's going to be 10 on the '08 Top Prospect List?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to be 10 on the '08 Top Prospect List?

• Val Majewski
    • Bob McCrory
    • Tyler Henson
    • Zach Britton
    • Brandon Snyder

McCrory could be #10 but I can't see anyway that he's ranked ahead of Henson or Britton. I'm not even sure where all the love for McCrory is coming from. Sure he throws hard but his statistics, particularly at AA after being promoted are less than dominant. 23 hits in 23 IP and 16 walks. That's at age 25 in AA. Right now, the odds on McCrory reaching the majors are greater than Henson or Britton, but the upside of both of those prospects, far outweight the cup of coffee McCrory might get, IMO.

Personally, I would have had them Henson, Britton, McCrory but with the different articles we've been seeing lately, I almost want to say McCrory, Henson, Britton.

I think I'm going to stick with Henson at 10.

Any idea when the first release is coming out? I always enjoy seeing a new ranking each day during this time of year...keeps the offseason interesting.

They should start coming one a day here shortly.. You know, good help is hard to find now a days. :D

They should start coming one a day here shortly.. You know, good help is hard to find now a days. :D

Hey...I resemble that remark! :D

I was trying to build the suspense, but I'll release #10 as soon as I get home and one per day after.

HINT: It's NOT Kurt Birkins. ;)

McCrory could be #10 but I can't see anyway that he's ranked ahead of Henson or Britton. I'm not even sure where all the love for McCrory is coming from. Sure he throws hard but his statistics, particularly at AA after being promoted are less than dominant. 23 hits in 23 IP and 16 walks. That's at age 25 in AA. Right now, the odds on McCrory reaching the majors are greater than Henson or Britton, but the upside of both of those prospects, far outweight the cup of coffee McCrory might get, IMO. I don't think Britton is quite this high yet. Snyder might be a bit higher. Therefore I go with Henson at #10.

I see the McCrory love, but generally agree with your first sentence. But I like Britton at 10 simply because LH starters are hard to come by and I actually think he is a safer bet to reach the majors and have success than Henson, health notwithstanding.

Glad to hear that the OH staff is still high on Britton. I'm a bit surprised he's ranked this high, but he certainly had a solid season at age 19. FWIW:

Beato 2006: 57 IP, 47 H, 23 ER, 23 BB, 52 K's, 3.63 ERA

Britton 2007: 63.2 IP, 64 H, 26 ER, 22 BB, 45 K's, 3.68 ERA

They were both playing in the NY-Penn League at age 19.

I think Britton was an excellent selection by Jordan. I imagine there is probably still some projection in his fb given his slight build. Nice call by the OH team.

It's nice to see he was making progress with his control. I'd like to know more about his secondary stuff, but he sounds like a player who should be primed for a big year at DelMarva.

Wieters, Rowell, Arrieta, Liz, Olson, Reimold, Spoone and Erbe figure to be guaranteed spots in the top 10.

So, that is 8, with Britton being 9.

That means 4 of Beato, Bascom, McCrory, Hoey and Synder will be out of the top 10.

3 of those guys were in the top 10 last year.

Pretty impressive....Shows how solid our draft was and how guys like Spoone really developed.

Would like for Britton to start working deeper into games as Spoone did this year, but hopefully that comes with age and maturation. Looks to be a promising kid. I have to say that Joe Jordan and staff are doing a pretty good job in the draft.

Wieters, Rowell, Arrieta, Liz, Olson, Reimold, Spoone and Erbe figure to be guaranteed spots in the top 10.

So, that is 8, with Britton being 9.

That means 4 of Beato, Bascom, McCrory, Hoey and Synder will be out of the top 10.

3 of those guys were in the top 10 last year.

Pretty impressive....Shows how solid our draft was and how guys like Spoone really developed.

Where's Hernandez???

Glad to hear that the OH staff is still high on Britton. I'm a bit surprised he's ranked this high, but he certainly had a solid season at age 19. FWIW:

Beato 2006: 57 IP, 47 H, 23 ER, 23 BB, 52 K's, 3.63 ERA

Britton 2007: 63.2 IP, 64 H, 26 ER, 22 BB, 45 K's, 3.68 ERA

They were both playing in the NY-Penn League at age 19.

His age and projectionability is what moved moved him into the top ten. All things considered, we thought he had a solid season for his age in the NY-Penn league. The improvement in his command was the next step in his maturation and we're hoping for more strikeouts and longer outings next year at Delmarva.

There are pitchers with better chances of pitching in the majors behind him on our list, but he has a much higher ceiling. Next year should be a big year for him since it will be his first full season. Remember, Spoone was putting up an 8-somehting ERA at Bluefield at 19-years of age so you have to sometimes wait a few years for these projectionable guys to either break out or fizzle out.

His age and projectionability is what moved moved him into the top ten. All things considered, we thought he had a solid season for his age in the NY-Penn league. The improvement in his command was the next step in his maturation and we're hoping for more strikeouts and longer outings next year at Delmarva.

There are pitchers with better chances of pitching in the majors behind him on our list, but he has a much higher ceiling. Next year should be a big year for him since it will be his first full season. Remember, Spoone was putting up an 8-somehting ERA at Bluefield at 19-years of age so you have to sometimes wait a few years for these projectionable guys to either break out or fizzle out.

I'm giving OH some kudos for ranking Britton as high as they did last year (12th).

2006 Team: Bluefield (R+)

Projected Role: Too Early

Notes - Young and raw are two things that describe this left-hander, but you can also add in the fact his fastball has been known to creep into the mid-90s. Didn't impress in his first look through Bluefield but mostly because he needs to refine his secondary pitches. Pitches comfortably in the 88-91 range right now but the feeling is there's more velocity in that arm. He's a project pick but one that has a huge upside if things fall in place. Think of him as the pitching version of Keiron Pope.

To me he's already proven a much more solid selection than Pope.

Where's Hernandez???

Give me another solid year from Hernandez, and then he'll move into the top ten. Based off of pure numbers, I would definitely put him in front of Erbe, BUTTTT........ it's all about projectability, and Erbe definitely has a much higher ceiling than Hernandez.

Anywho...

1a)Weiters

1b)Rowell

3)Reimold

4)Olson

5)Liz

6)Hoey

7)Snyder

8)Hernandez (I'm REALLY, REALLY big on him)

9)McCrory

10)Britton (apparently:))

Arrieta would probably make my list if Britton hadn't been named ten.

I think Erbe (#12) slid back a lot this year. Yes, he was pitching way above his age, but he never really looked comfortable to me. Spoone would be my #11. What a glut of pitching talent. Absolutely insane. Britton would be around #14 in my list.

Give me another solid year from Hernandez, and then he'll move into the top ten. Based off of pure numbers, I would definitely put him in front of Erbe, BUTTTT........ it's all about projectability, and Erbe definitely has a much higher ceiling than Hernandez.

Anywho...

1a)Weiters

1b)Rowell

3)Reimold

4)Olson

5)Liz

6)Hoey

7)Snyder

8)Hernandez (I'm REALLY, REALLY big on him)

9)McCrory

10)Britton (apparently:))

Arrieta would probably make my list if Britton hadn't been named ten.

I think Erbe (#12) slid back a lot this year. Yes, he was pitching way above his age, but he never really looked comfortable to me. Spoone would be my #11. What a glut of pitching talent. Absolutely insane. Britton would be around #14 in my list.

No Beato on that list?

I agree with your statement regarding Hernandez. If he proves last year's discovery of a change-up was truly the epiphany it seemed to be, he'll rocket up the charts AND through the O's minor league system in my opinion.

Personally, I'd like to see it happen sooner than later because I was there for the 18 strikeout performance last year and the subsequent 6 strikeout, 1 run, 7 inning job that followed. Both outings were impressive, but most impressive was David himself. Nice guy, well spoken, and very intelligent, all of which make him easy to root for.