Peace21

Orioles sign Vlad

I'm just guessing here, haven't heard it from anyone, bu I'm guessing that the Orioles were more interested in Vlad then we thought they were the whole time.

Today rumors of the Rangers trying to trade Michael Young came out, so I'm guessing the O's knew they had to make a move before the Rangers came in and took him, so they made a deal he couldn't refuse. Now we have Vlad!

Here is a good tweet people here will love.

matt_perison Matt Perison

orioles sign duch, yankees sign freddy garcia. orioles sign vlad, yankees sign ronnie belliard. at least our offseason is better....

If it's $8MM guaranteed, I'm surprised and slightly dismayed. If it's $8MM after a bunch of incentives, I'm surprised and pleased. So, one thumb halfway up for now...

Not the money I was hoping for, but it's possible (from what we've heard) that Angelos may have splurged soem dough to get someone he's been craving for awhile.

Man may have a slower bat than he used to, but he sure is strong.

Even with a slower bat, its going to a ton of fun watching Vlad take his hacks. I will be glued to the TV with everyone of his at bat's

The Orioles have signed DH Vladimir Guerrero to a one year contract worth a reported $8 million (possibly after incentives) pending a physical.

The game of cat and mouse is over. We’ve been hearing Vlad to the Orioles for weeks now and it finally came to fruition. I was fine going into the season with Luke Scott at DH and a Felix Pie/Nolan Reimold platoon in left field but theres no question that this signing makes us better. Guerrero will be our full time DH, moving Scott to left and Pie to the bench as the fourth outfielder. Reimold will either start the year at AAA Norfolk or on the Orioles bench getting at bats in the outfield, first base, and DH. The depth created here is a big plus. If theres an injury (and there usually is at some point) then we’ll be ready to adapt to the situation. Vlad had a solid bounce back season in 2010 after battling injuries in 2009. He hit .300/.345/.496 with 27 doubles, a triple, 29 homeruns, and 115 RBI for the Rangers on their way to the world series. Theres no doubt hes slow, getting old, and in the decline phase of his career but theres plenty of reason to believe Vlad is still capable of putting up a good season. Some reason for concern is that he performed much worse after the all-star break than before hand (1.018 OPS before, .748 after) but he had a respectable September. He was awful in the playoffs too, putting up a Cesar Izturis like .513 OPS. If he puts up another great first half and Pie and Reimold are performing the way they’re capable of we could always trade Vlad before the deadline depending on how the season is going. As much as I was indifferent about signing him, I can’t help but be excited to watch him play in an O’s uniform. The season can’t come soon enough.

http://theoriolereport.com/2011/02/04/os-get-vlad/

• Upvote 1

Seems Buster Olney and co are all saying it's 8. Hope they are wrong.

Why? We got the player, that's what is important.

You don't win anything for saving money.

As huge Reimold fan, I'm crushed by this news.

Vlad is clearly on the decline and he certainly does not want to play here.

He better be gone by the All-Star break