Sign in to follow this  
KSDonDada01

ESPN Radio discusses Pujols to O's in Free Agency

The Mets aren't going near a contract like that under their present ownership. That franchise is a mess, and I doubt that it gets squared away in time to make a run at Pujols.

Ok, my point was I doubt he's a Cardinal next year. Cubs or Angels then.

Just curious, have the RS signed Gonzalez to an extension yet? Whats the odds they take a chance and wait it out on AGon and chance losing out on both to go after Pujols? I personally can see ujols winding up in 1 of 3 places, Cubs, Angels, or Mets. I know Albert is a classy player and won't come out and say it, but I think his ego may not allow him to go back to St. Louis. Well, unless the money is what he wants, but I don't see St. Louis getting a hometown discount at this point that is.

I'm not sure the Red Sox can do anything but fully commit to AGon at this point. They've traded away a huge batch of young talent for him, they've gotten him to promise to negotiate a long term contract in good faith - if they try to play games with him and chase Pujols with AGon set up as their backup plan, they run the risk of losing out on both players.

I think Pujols is a game changer for any club that signs him, but he's clearly an amazing fit for an O's team who's desperately been looking for a long term solution at 1b for years. And unlike many of the other clubs the O's will be bidding against, the O's can actually afford him.

Angelos can justify spending 30 mil a year on Pujols assuming the O's can get back to 3 million attendance annually and leverage his presence into higher ticket prices and increased ad revenue on MASN.

If the O's average $75 per visitor to OPACY in ticket (not an unreasonable number - the Yanks averaged $125 per visitor in 2009), merchandise & food sales and hit the 3 million mark, that's 225 million annually in revenue.

The big wild card is MASN revenue, but I wouldn't be suprised at all if the O's could weigh in at over 300 million annually in revenue from all sources combined assuming a return to the attendance numbers from the early days of Camden Yard.

Take the current payroll of 90 - 95 million, subtract Lee and Vlad and toss in 30 mil for Pujols and we're in the 120 million annual range even taking into consideration raises for young players and other additions. The O's already boasted that kind of payroll back in the nineties and didn't collapse and they didn't have part ownership in a regional TV network.

So while we are at it, let's also sign Sabathia for 6 / 150, bump the payroll to 145 a year and really give people a reason to come to see the O's.

Cashman was recently quoted as saying the O's were a "sleeping giant". I believe he's referring to the fact that we have the fan base and revenue base required to spend right there with the Red Sox if need be, we simply need to put a team on the field that is competitive. Pujols would be a huge step in the right direction in that regard, and the O's have the means to afford him.

• Upvote 1

I think it is great to dream but it seems to me that the numbers and the years are not going to work any better in Baltimore than they would in St. Louis. I just cannot see spending 30 mil a year for ten yrs for him.

I do not know who is going to either.

Do you think AM is a bigger road block for a potential deal or ownership?

-Don

Easily MacPhail.

He said he wouldn't recommend signing a player like Pujols but it was ultimately up to ownership.

Peter Angelos would spend on Pujols before MacPhail ever would.

Man I HATE the Belle analogy. HATE it. I should make a new rant thread about it. The guy was awesome for us before the injury. AWESOME! You can't predict injury. You can't let one deal influence every signing for 12 years after that. And for God's sake, you cannot rewrite history and make Belle out to be some underperformer. He did everything we could ask for before he got hurt!

There's no question that Belle was...Belle...before the injury cut his career short. There is ample reason to question the validity of that deal for that team at that time...and no question about how much psychological damage it did to PGA. IIRC, baseball contracts can only be insured for three years. And we all know they're guaranteed. If I was an owner of a mid-market team like the Orioles, I'd think long and hard before giving anybody a 10-year, big-money, guaranteed deal. Long and hard.

Easily MacPhail.

He said he wouldn't recommend signing a player like Pujols but it was ultimately up to ownership.

I still think if the owner really wants a player, he gets who he wants, despite AM's frugal rep.

-Don

I still think if the owner really wants a player, he gets who he wants, despite AM's frugal rep.

-Don

This. If PA decides he wants Pujols, then the O's will find a way to make him a max offer.

I think Pujols would come here if we give him the best offer. However, I can't see him being worth what it will take to sign him. There will be heated competition for him once he hits the open market. I believe that competition will push his price past what he is worth. Hell, the 200 million that he rejected is probably more then he is worth imo. Without steroids, the entire dynamic of what a player is worth has shifted. That shift has made signing 30+ year old free agents to huge contracts a very dubious proposition. I'd also pass on Sabathia. Signing older pitchers with a ton of innings under their belt is even more dubious then signing Pujols. Stay the course. Sign young free agents that are in shape and play defense. I'd pass on aging sluggers...

Pujols will likely take some sort of modest discount, or some sort of magic in the sturcture of the contract to stay in St. Louis, where he is a God.

If Pujols is going to go anywhere else he will want insane top-dollar type money in a contract that completely suits him.

Therefore I don't think the Orioles stand a chance.

The Cubs and the Angels might.

Pujols will likely take some sort of modest discount, or some sort of magic in the sturcture of the contract to stay in St. Louis, where he is a God.

If Pujols is going to go anywhere else he will want insane top-dollar type money in a contract that completely suits him.

Therefore I don't think the Orioles stand a chance.

The Cubs and the Angels might.

Moreno has suddenly turned into Peter Angelos and closed his wallet, so no way do the Angels sign him.

Cubs or Yankees.

Easily MacPhail.

The Orioles have never, ever, spent more than $72 million for a player under Angelos. To think they're going to spend anywhere from $250-$300 million for one player is delusional.

I'm not sure the Red Sox can do anything but fully commit to AGon at this point. They've traded away a huge batch of young talent for him, they've gotten him to promise to negotiate a long term contract in good faith - if they try to play games with him and chase Pujols with AGon set up as their backup plan, they run the risk of losing out on both players.

I think Pujols is a game changer for any club that signs him, but he's clearly an amazing fit for an O's team who's desperately been looking for a long term solution at 1b for years. And unlike many of the other clubs the O's will be bidding against, the O's can actually afford him.

You make a compelling argument, but I question how much of a long term solution he is. He will be 32 before next season and had back problems all of last year. That is never a good thing for an athlete.

This is going to be an interesting situation, given that we are talking about, at worst, the best player of our generation. I just can't see anyone giving him a 10-year deal. Like Gordo suggested, as the Orioles, I would probably go 7/210, but that is probably it.

If I had to guess right now, I would say that it would be between the Cards, Angels and Cubs. But even though they have All-Stars at first right now, I am not going to put it past the Red Sox or Yankees to get involved somehow. Even though there is no room right now, when the best player of the generation is available and you have the resources to acquire him, you have to at least consider making room.

Moreno has suddenly turned into Peter Angelos and closed his wallet, so no way do the Angels sign him.

Cubs or Yankees.

The Angels spent money this offseason, just maybe not intelligently. Vernon Wells, please pick up the red courtesy phone.

That was probably a panic move because of missing out in free agency this year. I bet, especially if they have another disappointing season, the checkbook will be wide open this upcoming offseason.

The Orioles have never, ever, spent more than $72 million for a player under Angelos. To think they're going to spend anywhere from $250-$300 million for one player is delusional.

Hmm, I did not know 72 million was our current PA ceiling. Interesting.

Yeah, Pujols is a slim or none shot.

-Don