ChaosLex

Iowa wrestler cites conscience/faith in defaulting state match (rather than face girl)

I've heard a lot of talk that he more wanted to avoid the humilation if he lost and if he won no one would care since he beat a girl.

Reading his story, I doubt that is the case. He woulnd't give up a chance at the championship over potential humiliation. If his beliefs are that strong, good for him. Not many kids his age would pick faith over sports.

I'm all for equality, but I think I'd feel pretty horrible if I wrestled a girl and she came out bruised and bleeding. It happens. That being said, like Jamesl referred to, I'd also feel pretty bad if I wrestled a girl and I came out bruised and bleeding ;)

2my30.jpg

Steve Mocco Gets Battered and Bruised, Wins Spot on U.S. Olympic Wrestling Team

Edited by SammyBirdland

I respect his decision since it's based on his religious beliefs, but at the same time, I'm not sure it's right to give up a chance at a state championship over something that's pretty trivial if you ask me. My son has wrestled girls a few times over and I know he never looked forward to the match. It's a no win situation since if you beat her, she's just a girl but if you lose, you lost to a girl.

I'm not thrilled with girls wrestling boys after the age of 12, but I told my son if you come upon one you wrestler her just like you would a guy. Both times he's pinned the girl in the first period. You just have to take care of business and move on.

I will say there was a girl at a tournament earlier this year who was let's just say "gifted" up top (this was a high school tournament). I do know my son and the senior at the same weight played rocks, paper scissors for the "privilege" to wrestle her. Apparently Catholic school wrestlers don't have the same religious concerns. ;)

BTW, she ended up forfeiting due to injury which is another reason why I have concerns about girls wrestling against boys who have reached or are nearing puberty.

My son's first year in wrestling he had to wrestle a girl. It was terribly awkward for all the reasons mentioned. He came to me and asked, "Is there anything I can do to get out of this? I mean, my hands...where...how do I...without...oh, man!" I said, "You can forfeit or go out there and get it done and over with." He went out on the mat, shook her hand, and danced around to avoid her for about 10 seconds. Finally my wife yelled, "Take her down and pin her NOW!" He shot into a double-leg takedown, rolled her into a cradle, and the match was over 10 seconds later. He hung his head, shook her hand, had his hand raised, and ran off the mat straight for me. "That was awful. I'm so embarrassed."

It's a tough situation for me. I also have a five-year-old daughter who I want to be able to do everything she wants to do. My personal preference is that she not wrestle and I don't necessarily agree with girls wrestling with boys. That may make me chauvinistic, but those are my honest feelings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/highschool/01/17/hs.woody0122/

This girl went to Arundel High School. Took 2nd in the state in her Junior or Senior year.

Nicole Woody is very known in the Maryland wrestling community and she certainly is among that .01% who can compete with boys in wrestling at a high level. Saying that, I have no problem with girls wrestling if they are the best a school has to offer. I'd hate to be the one that had to tell a girl who wanted wrestle to and could beat some boys that she couldn't.

Would I let my daughter do it, probably not, but that's probably easy for me to say since my only daughter is 20-years old and never asked.

Edited by Tony-OH

Remember when a story like this wouldn't be instant national news? For him, regardless of the reasoning, hes got to deal with the comments for some time. She gets to be criticized by people who have no idea what they are talking about (obviously I don't mean Tony or anyone here who actually knows beans about wrestling) because they are reading a story online/on TV.

As for whether or not girls should be wrestling boys..well hell, if a girl can hit a curveball and wants to play baseball, why the heck not? If she can pin a boy in her division, who can stop her? Shut up and try to put her on the mat.

A girl in my schools' conference back in High School played soccer and baseball. She was damned good, and she deserved to play for whatever team she wanted. *although honestly she would have gotten more competition playing our women's soccer team, who always were top 5-10 in the State, while we stunk it up* She was consistently mocked and parents from her school and others tried to get her off the teams. A year after I graduated I heard she made the Men's BBall team but eventually transfered after so much negativity. She was also very attractive.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I am sure its awkward as hell if you are wrestling a girl, and probably much more awkward than trying to strike out a girl in baseball. But end of the day, throw the ball, try to pin her, do what you would normally do. If shes good enough to beat you she will, if not, idiots will say you just beat a girl, but you still have more people to wrestle afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Nicole Woody is very known in the Maryland wrestling community and she certainly is among that .01% who can compete with boys in wrestling at a high level. Saying that, I have no problem with girls wrestling if they are the best a school has to offer. I'd hate to be the one that had to tell a girl who wanted wrestle and could beat some boys that she couldn't.

Would I let my daughter do it, probably not, but that's probably easy for me to say since my only daughter is 20-years old and never asked.

I would let my daughter do it with the understanding that there's no crying in baseball, wrestling, or any other sport. She came home last night from basketball practice where she had jammed her finger. I told her to suck it up, that happens all the time. At first she was angry that I wouldn't tape it or anything, but she got over it quick. When it comes to sports my daughter gets treated the same as my sons do. She's quite the little athlete too.

I wouldn't encourage her to wrestle, but if that's what she wanted to do I'd support her 100%. If my son faced a female wrestler I'd tell him to treat her just like anyone else. I think that is more respectful than treating her different.

Remember when a story like this wouldn't be instant national news? For him, regardless of the reasoning, hes got to deal with the comments for some time. She gets to be criticized by people who have no idea what they are talking about (obviously I don't mean Tony or anyone here who actually knows beans about wrestling) because they are reading a story online/on TV.

As for whether or not girls should be wrestling boys..well hell, if a girl can hit a curveball and wants to play baseball, why the heck not? If she can pin a boy in her division, who can stop her? Shut up and try to put her on the mat.

A girl in my schools' conference back in High School played soccer and baseball. She was damned good, and she deserved to play for whatever team she wanted. *although honestly she would have gotten more competition playing our women's soccer team, who always were top 5-10 in the State, while we stunk it up* She was consistently mocked and parents from her school and others tried to get her off the teams. A year after I graduated I heard she made the Men's BBall team but eventually transfered after so much negativity. She was also very attractive.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I am sure its awkward as hell if you are wrestling a girl, and probably much more awkward than trying to strike out a girl in baseball. But end of the day, throw the ball, try to pin her, do what you would normally do. If shes good enough to beat you she will, if not, idiots will say you just beat a girl, but you still have more people to wrestle afterwards.

Yup. Pretty much this.

I read stories like this and wonder not only if I'm living in the same century as these people, but even on the same planet.

Don't want to wrestle a girl? Not OK if it's a "damned if you win, damned if you lose" situation. Perfectly OK if your reasons are "religious".

Wanna slaughter a goat in the back yard? Not OK if you're hungry and just happen to have a goat. Perfectly OK if your religion wants you to off a goat a couple of times a year.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I read stories like this and wonder not only if I'm living in the same century as these people, but even on the same planet.

Don't want to wrestle a girl? Not OK if it's a "damned if you win, damned if you lose" situation. Perfectly OK if your reasons are "religious".

Wanna slaughter a goat in the back yard? Not OK if you're hungry and just happen to have a goat. Perfectly OK if your religion wants you to off a goat a couple of times a year.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

His religion gives him a system of values. In this century, there are still several billion religious people. Personally, I don't believe in mocking another man's religion.

• Upvote 2

Pardon me for going all 'Al Bundy' on this thread, but I was a Baltimore County champion wrestler and had to wrestle two matches against girls in my high school career. And as most have guessed it was a weird situation both times.

I was nervous as hell before both matches because I didn't want to lose and face the humiliation from my teammates. It was also very difficult to wrestle with my normal mentality of kill, kill, kill when your opponent has a ponytail. Luckily for me, neither of them were very good and I pinned each in the first period.

I have to say though it was embarrassing to see many of my teammates having the time of their life at her and my expense on the sideline. It was also awkward to squeeze the life out of one of them and listen to the sounds she was making in obvious pain. I couldn't imagine being her father and watching that match.

Even though I don't think girls should be allowed to wrestle at the high school level (sorry that's just my honest opinion) I'd be damned to let it cost me a championship by forfeiting. Most people don't realize how hard you have to train to compete at a high level in that sport. Six minutes is an eternity, ask anyone whose ever done it. I am a man of faith myself, but could never give up a goal of mine because of my opponent. I don't care if Ghandi is wearing a different color singlet.

Pardon me for going all 'Al Bundy' on this thread, but I was a Baltimore County champion wrestler and had to wrestle two matches against girls in my high school career. And as most have guessed it was a weird situation both times.

I was nervous as hell before both matches because I didn't want to lose and face the humiliation from my teammates. It was also very difficult to wrestle with my normal mentality of kill, kill, kill when your opponent has a ponytail. Luckily for me, neither of them were very good and I pinned each in the first period.

I have to say though it was embarrassing to see many of my teammates having the time of their life at her and my expense on the sideline. It was also awkward to squeeze the life out of one of them and listen to the sounds she was making in obvious pain. I couldn't imagine being her father and watching that match.

Even though I don't think girls should be allowed to wrestle at the high school level (sorry that's just my honest opinion) I'd be damned to let it cost me a championship by forfeiting. Most people don't realize how hard you have to train to compete at a high level in that sport. Six minutes is an eternity, ask anyone whose ever done it. I am a man of faith myself, but could never give up a goal of mine because of my opponent. I don't care if Ghandi is wearing a different color singlet.

The bolded sentence is just screaming for a rewrite. Seriously, the first time I read it I thought you'd actually killed somebody. :eek: