ChaosLex

Iowa wrestler cites conscience/faith in defaulting state match (rather than face girl)

I would've loved to wrestle a girl in high school.

Now, my wife and I call it roleplaying.

This was a better attempt at humor. The first post you made in the thread was questionable.

I think there are two distinct issues of respect here. The first being whether you think the decision itself respects the girl. That is controversial and up for debate and due to be criticized. He obviously thinks he is being respectful, while others think he is being disrespectful by not treating her equally. Personally, I'm on the fence on this one, but I probably lean towards the side of saying that it's disrespectful by not treating her as an equal.

The second respect issue is how he went about making the decision and explaining it. I think it's very hard to argue that he was anything but respectful in doing so. He made his decision to withdraw, he gave his reason, and he accepted all of the negative consequences. He didn't preach, he wasn't self-righteous, and he didn't say that his view was the only one or even the right one. People are going to disagree and controversial decisions are going to be made, but it always helps when said decisions are made respectfully. You can't fault the kid here.

FWIW, this is coming from a distinctly nonreligious person who disagrees with the kid's rationale.

I only fault the kid for not treating her like an equal. I think he should have wrestled her and gotten over it. Like I said, I'm not cool with extremes in human behavior no matter what the source. There are certainly a bazillion more acts that are worse, but in this case I think he should have just sucked it up for her sake.

There was a guy named Eli Herring that played at BYU a few years ago and he opted not to play on Sundays for religious reasons. He was a highly projected offensive lineman who, even though he told all the NFL teams he wouldn't play, was still drafted in the 6th round and offered a $1.5mm contract. I think it was fine what he did, just because it didn't hurt anyone but himself. I also think it was stupid as hell, but I'm not religious.

People across the world will use all kinds of excuses to do things that fall out of my view of societal norm. Religion is a big one of these, but so are political views, adopted causes, etc. When someone does something that falls out of my moral zone of "live and let live and don't harm anyone", I think it's wrong. Just so I don't come off sounding like a smug a-hole, I don't think this kid did a really bad thing, but I do think he should have wrestled.

One other point here. How would everyone feel if the kid was Muslim? Some of them aren't allowed to touch a woman outside of their family. Would he still get a pass? What if it were two boys and one of them was gay? Would it be ok not to wrestle because you think gay people are wrong? Just curious.

Wow..just wow. If I could take 50 rep points for this gibberish I would. Did you just compare what this boy said to radical Muslim violent beliefs?

You want to be an atheist, fine. But your outright hostility towards any kind of religious beliefs just shows your intolerance and honestly, your lack of humanity.

I honestly had to read that garbage twice just to make sure you actually wrote that drivel.

BTW, I didn't read one time where the kid was looking for sympathy. Honestly, I don't even agree with the kid but the one thing I will do is RESPECT his decision. Afterall, the only person he hurt was himself since he lost out on a chance for State championship.

I certainly respect him a lot more than I respect you.

Well, you respect my quarterly payment well enough, despite my lack of humanity. So neg rep away. Take me down to zero. Maybe rep is only for actual humans...clearly my lack of an imaginary sky god disqualifies me from that status in your world.

There is one reverend I can get behind, though...the Reverend Horton Heat!

Edited by Mad Mark
  • Upvote 1

What if it were two boys and one of them was gay? Would it be ok not to wrestle because you think gay people are wrong? Just curious.

This thought came to my mind after reading some of the discussion here. I'd be interested to know the answer to that one.

Well, you respect my quarterly payment well enough, despite my lack of humanity. So neg rep away. Take me down to zero. Maybe rep is only for actual humans...clearly my lack of an imaginary sky god disqualifies me from that status in your world.

There is one reverend I can get behind, though...the Reverend Horton Heat!

Not any more. I don't want a penny of your money.

Edited by Tony-OH

Personally I think he should've wrestled her and if he had won, absolutely no shame/humiliation/etc. in doing so.

Gotta learn that in real life he may be competing with females for a job position and it's a no-holds-barred, dog-eat-dog world.