RenegadeOsFan

Guerrero Less Than Enthusiastic Being An Oriole?? Schmuck Thinks So

Schmuck isn't really a "stir the pot" guy IMO. He tries to come across as humorous' date=' and usually is unsuccessful. He'll occasionally say something controversial, but doesn't really go out on a limb much. If you're looking for The Sun's Orioles equivalent to Preston, he is now a baseball reporter for Fox Sports. Now that guy could draw the ire of many a [b']Baltimoron[/b].

I'm sure this wasn't on purpose, but still. :rofl:

Hmm. I guess a writer must have written something potentially non-positive about the Orioles.

Mike Preston is a writer for the Baltimore Sun who covers the Ravens. He likes to stir the pot quite a bit in his articles and creates his own theories regarding inside info surrounding the Ravens. Schmuck isn't nearly as bad as Preston but compared to the other Sun Orioles writers he best represents Preston's negative style.

You don't actually read either one, do you? :scratchchinhmm:

Schmuck isn't really a "stir the pot" guy IMO. He tries to come across as humorous' date=' and usually is unsuccessful. He'll occasionally say something controversial, but doesn't really go out on a limb much. If you're looking for The Sun's Orioles equivalent to Preston, he is now a baseball reporter for Fox Sports. Now that guy could draw the ire of many a Baltimoron.[/quote']

Was Ken Rosenthal that bad when he was here?

Hmm. I guess a writer must have written something potentially non-positive about the Orioles.

You don't actually read either one, do you? :scratchchinhmm:

I'm not going to get into an argument with you so we'll leave it at that.

Was Ken Rosenthal that bad when he was here?

Depends on what you mean by bad. If you mean Rosenthal got a lot of readers worked up for no good reason, then yes. Although as I recall he didn't really spout off some of the outlandish ramblings that Preston occasionally does. But they both seemed to serve the same purpose, which is to rile up the readers, and thus sell more papers or bring more clicks to a certain webpage.

One thing Rosenthal did that Preston hasn't (that I know of) is to make an enemy of the owner of the team he covers.

Depends on what you mean by bad. If you mean Rosenthal got a lot of readers worked up for no good reason' date=' then yes. Although as I recall he didn't really spout off some of the outlandish ramblings that Preston occasionally does. But they both seemed to serve the same purpose, which is to rile up the readers, and thus sell more papers or bring more clicks to a certain webpage.

One thing Rosenthal did that Preston hasn't (that I know of) is to make an enemy of the owner of the team he covers.[/quote']

Rosenthal does have guts I'll give him that.

Happy to be an Oriole???? ALL these guys are ballplayers, a job to them that pays them handsomely. Among their duties as ballplayers is to be positive about the team, the city, the fans, do community work of some sort. They may grow to love the city, the people and their community work, but if traded or free agency comes about they will put on the same face for their new employers.

We all like to think they love to be an Oriole, but in reality they would just as much love to be a Yankee or even a Red Sox. It is a job and they better not get too attached to a place, because the FO would deal any of them in a heartbeat in a given situation.

So, it doesn't matter what Scmuck's Happymeter(everyone's meter is different) reads, Vlad will go out and try to meet some personal goals and by doing so will likely help the O's. I wish him luck and a rapid spring training so reporters can have something real to talk about.

• Upvote 1

I read an article years ago profiling him and it said he was extremely shy and barely even spoke with his teamates, still lived with his mom too at the time. It said he had social anxiety and only time he felt comfortable was when batting so no surprise he seemed akward in the interview and not saying much.

Edited by tradermike

It's not like this is the guy's first free agent contract. It's not like it was a multiyear big money contract. It's not like the guy is dating Cameron Diaz and known for being a media hog. It's not like the Orioles are being picked to be a world series contender. It's not like guys like Kevin Millwood and Aubrey Huff broke out cardboard and were breakdancing at the warehouse when they signed their deals. It's not like the presser was 72 hours from the news breaking instead of two weeks. It's not like...a story, really.

Its probably both..Glad not being excited and being uncomfortable in the press conference.

Exactly. THen add to that his weakness with English and introverted personality and you have someone who is just not equipped to plaster a fake smile on his face and "say all the right things", the Crash Davis cliches that are expected of a ballplayer about how great it is to be [wherever you are] and how your only goal is winning a pennant, etc.

I'm sure that if Vlad had been asked to rank in order the teams he'd prefer to play for, Baltimore would be in the bottom 5-10. But he's a pro, will get to know and like his teammates, will give 100 percent, and if the team plays well, he probably will be very happy he's an Oriole. I don't excpect any lack of effort or enthusiasm from Vlad.

Maybe he was constipated?

In all seriousness, I don't give a hoot whether he's happy or not. The other Orioles are glad he's here. If Vlad plays with a chip on his shoulder, that can only be good for us. If he truly wants out of here, then he'll play good enough to get traded. Either way, his happiness to be here is not on my priority list of important concerns.

• Upvote 1

Last year he played for the AL champion on a team with the AL MVP. Now he starts the season with a team likely to finish last in their division.

Why would he be excited to be an Oriole???

His and the O's best case scenario is that he has a good first half, a contender loses a DH to injury and the O's are able to trade him for some decent prospects.

If he is with the O's after the trading deadline it will not be a good situation for Vlad or the O's.