OFFNY

Teixeira: Bury Me in Pinstripes

Why the rolling of the eyes?

Trea is exactly right.

Now, maybe Tex will want to DH and stay in NY...No one can know that for sure.

But players don't usually go for that.

If the Yanks aren't happy with Tex and Pujols is out there, I have zero doubt that NY goes after him.

At that point, NY can decide if they want to keep or trade Tex...and if they want to keep him, then he can decide if he wants to be traded.

Remember, NY has a lot of DH options with the poor contracts they have on the books for aging players, so either way, changes will have to be made.

BTW, what do you guys expect Tex to say?

The part about being "buried in pinstripes" was a bit over the top, but you're right. He's not going to start dropping hints about waiving his NTC just because people are drawing conclusions about Pujols before he even hits the market. First, that wouldn't play well in NY at all. Second, it would basically be telling his employer to go right ahead and hire his replacement.

And the Yankees do have plenty of future DHs on their roster already, so unless MLB moves to allow teams to use more than 1 DH at a time, I'd actually be an interested 3rd party in seeing how they would work that mess out if they sign Pujols.

Pujols, and the Yankees aren't going to pay 275-300 million for a DH.

Tex may want to be a Yankee, but if Pujols is an upgrade as he is now, they won't hesitate to move Tex IMO.

Did you miss the NO TRADE CLAUSE part of Tex's "bury me in pinstripes" statement? The can't move Tex even if they wanted to without him agreeing to it. And I'd say he's made it pretty obvious he won't accept a trade.

Besides, even the Yankees probably can't afford Pujols because of the ARod and Tex contracts.

“We’re the underdogs this year,” Teixeira said. “I love it. No one is picking us right now. Everyone in here should be looking forward to winning a championship. When you put on the pinstripes that is exactly what your goal should be every year. I think everyone understands that just because the public may not be picking us it doesn’t mean we don’t believe it in here.”

Maybe it's something completely different. Something we haven't even considered yet.

Maybe Tex realizes he's about to be busted by Chris Hanson's multi-year investigation into his offseason internet activities.

And by "bury me in these pinstripes" he really means jail pinstripes.

ChrisHanson.png

Did you miss the NO TRADE CLAUSE part of Tex's "bury me in pinstripes" statement? The can't move Tex even if they wanted to without him agreeing to it. And I'd say he's made it pretty obvious he won't accept a trade.

Besides, even the Yankees probably can't afford Pujols because of the ARod and Tex contracts.

So, if Tex has a so so year and the fans and media are all over him AND they go after Pujols and want to DH Tex, you don't think it is possible he could change his mind and want to be traded?

So, if Tex has a so so year and the fans and media are all over him AND they go after Pujols and want to DH Tex, you don't think it is possible he could change his mind and want to be traded?

On paper, maybe, but in reality they're going to need the DH spot for A-Rod.

Maybe it's something completely different. Something we haven't even considered yet.

Maybe Tex realizes he's about to be busted by Chris Hanson's multi-year investigation into his offseason internet activities.

And by "bury me in these pinstripes" he really means jail pinstripes.

ChrisHanson.png

Kind of a long walk for that one...

We'd definitely find out once and for all how bad he always wanted to be a Yankee.

I know you wrote that, but I don't think you believe it.

The Yankee$ can afford a $300MM payroll, should they choose to go there. I'm just not entierly sure the current generation of $teingrabbers wants to go there. (If there was ever a better argument for higher inheritance taxes than Hank $teingrabber, I haven't seen it.)

Despite all the b****ing he does obout "our money", expect Hamfisted Hank to pony up in the end. If Pujols doesn't re-up with the Cardinals, he's a Yankee in 2012...and they'll puzzle out the ramifications as they go. Book it.

If he wants to play 1B.

But technically, they can't trade him without his permission. So he could DH until they give that job to A-Rod or maybe A-Rod just stays at 3B and continues to decline there defensively. If/when A-Rod does move to DH, Teixiera could just sit on the bench and collect $22.5 million per year for however much of his contract is still left. Even for the Yankees, $22.5 million for a bench player is obscene.

On paper, maybe, but in reality they're going to need the DH spot for A-Rod.

I am not sure they need AROD to DH in 2012 but maybe in 2013 or 2014.

Either way, if the Yanks choose to go after Pujols, I would say the chances of Tex being dealt are way high.