ScottieBaseball

Orioles Hangout Top 10 Prospects: #9 - Pedro Beato - RHP

Who's #9 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who's #9 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?

• David Hernandez
    • Bob McCrory
    • Pedro Beato
    • Tyler Henson
    • Radhames Liz

It's that time of year, folks! Through talks with various scouts in and outside the Orioles organization, minor league operations executives, minor league coaches and managers, and the players themselves the Orioles Hangout staff has come up with the top 30 prospects in the organization.

Over the next two weeks we'll be releasing our Top 10 Orioles Organizational Prospects List, starting with number 10, Zach Britton. Chime in with who you think is going to be #9 on the list in our poll.

I am guessing this means Synder misses out on the top 10.

I would be very surprised if that were the case. Not to mention that Tony implied in an earlier post that Arrieta's ranking in this list is hurt by his lack of professional experience. To me that means he (Arrieta) is not in the Top 10. I'm still confident Snyder will be in the 7-8 range here until someone like Scott or Tony says otherwise.

I think it's Hernandez. Liz, I believe will be ranked higher, while McCrory age hurts him and Beato I believe will be ranked lower and I think Hensen will be ranked 11.

I think it's Hernandez. Liz, I believe will be ranked higher, while McCrory age hurts him and Beato I believe will be ranked lower and I think Hensen will be ranked 11.

Exactly...I think that this means Hernandez will be ranked ahead of Arrieta. I just can't see McCrory being rated this high because of his age and decent production. I've got him more in the 15-20 range.

I believe you guys might be misreading the age factor on McCrory, discounting that he had two surgeries that sidelined him rather than being slow to advance because of a lack of skill somehow. He pitches hard (saw him hit 99 at the Rising Stars game last Friday, saw him hit 97-98 regularly in Bowie) and pitches smart (that "age" factor being a bonus in that regard), and every time I've seen him pitch he's seemed intimidatingly confident. I'm never good at specific rankings, but I do believe he easily qualifies for somewhere in the top 10, perhaps even the top 5.

• Upvote 1

I would be very surprised if that were the case. Not to mention that Tony implied in an earlier post that Arrieta's ranking in this list is hurt by his lack of professional experience. To me that means he (Arrieta) is not in the Top 10. I'm still confident Snyder will be in the 7-8 range here until someone like Scott or Tony says otherwise.

This may be another case (like Loewen 2 years ago) where OH's rankings might have been different if they had waited until the fall league results were in. Both Snyder and Arrieta are proving to me they belong in the Top 10, but that wasn't clear when the regular minor league season ended.

I'm going with McCrory at no. 9.

I want to go with Hernandez but I think I'm going to go with the safer pick in Beato. Liz is in the top 3 (IMO), I can't see McCrory being above Hernandez, Britton and Henson (value of a position player/starting pitcher compared to a setup man) and there's enough talent at the top that I doubt there's room for more than one of these guys to jump into the top 10.

This is what Tony said:

both Weiter and Arrieta have enough good scouting reports to be included on our top prospect lists. We have grudgingly included them which is something we've never done before.

Now, i guess "top prospect" list could put him outside of the top 10 but I don't think so.

I love the thoughts all of you guys put into these. And I'lls say that some of you are right on the money with some things, and some of you (and some people are in both categories) are way off on some things too.

I love the thoughts all of you guys put into these. And I'lls say that some of you are right on the money with some things, and some of you (and some people are in both categories) are way off on some things too.

I concur. I'm amazed at how familiar you guys are with our farm system. It's also great to get your thoughts, but unless you agree with us you're dead-wrong. :D

Seriously...great discussion! I hope it continues all the way up to #1.

I'll go with Henson again. McCrory, I don't think is in the top ten. Hernandez & Beato, as starters with upside, should both be ahead of him, IMO, and there's only so much room in the top ten.

• Upvote 1

I'll go with Henson again. McCrory, I don't think is in the top ten. Hernandez & Beato, as starters with upside, should both be ahead of him, IMO, and there's only so much room in the top ten.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Hernandez should be in the Top 10 and I think Henson will be ranked 11th.