ScottieBaseball

Orioles Hangout Top 10 Prospects: #9 - Pedro Beato - RHP

Who's #9 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who's #9 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?

• David Hernandez
    • Bob McCrory
    • Pedro Beato
    • Tyler Henson
    • Radhames Liz

Just throwing this out there as he doesn't look as good to me when you compare him against some of the higher ceilling (and younger) pitchers in this system. Beato, Hernandez, Spoone, Arrieta, Liz all seem to have much higher ceilings in my opinion due to their ages and reported "stuff". Plus, it seems as if the OH crew tends to reward this much more than actual minor league results. Yes, Olson has a proven track record in the minor leagues and he has a good make-up. But, the fact is he did not look good in his major league appearences this year (I know its a small sample size) and as he is getting older (24 going into next season), his ceiling is rapidly becoming much lower. Is his celing now a 4th or 5th starter? I think this system is much better than we give it credit for (at least when it comes to pitching). And to have Olson in the Top 10 would be an eye opener to me. I am ready for my lashings now.....

It is a fair question, and in part it depends on how much you are weighing a player's ceiling vs. how much you are weighing the likelihood that they will be at least a serviceable major league player. If you look at Olson's track record, (1) he has succeeded at every level, and (2) it has taken him a month or two to adjust every time he has been moved up a level. I have very little doubt that he is going to be good enough to hold down a spot in our rotation, and in that case, he has to be in the top 10, even if he'll never have the talent of a Bedard or a Loewen.