Moose Milligan

The 2011 Jim Palmer Quotables Thread

A lot of pitchers can be when hit with degrading questions like that. Or sometimes just because. Like that classic line from Gibson to McCarver, during a mound visit, something like "get back behind the plate, the only thing you know about pitching is you can't hit it."

That reminds me of the story that Bob Uecker told about the time he went out to talk to Bob Gibson and Gibson asked him why he was there.

Uecker said he was on his way to centerfield to talk to Curt Flood.

• Upvote 2

That reminds me of the story that Bob Uecker told about the time he went out to talk to Bob Gibson and Gibson asked him why he was there.

Uecker said he was on his way to centerfield to talk to Curt Flood.

LOL! Never heard that one before.

Anyone else find it funny that on Tuesday Palmer starts the broadcast by saying, essentially:

Doesn't matter about the offense, it's all about the pitching.

and then on Wednesday he starts the broadcast by saying, essentially:

Doesn't matter how well you pitch, you gotta score (4) runs.

"... the grand slam that Ross hit, and you know I'm allergic to those, and that was the difference in the ballgame."

Sorry, I missed the rest of the quote since I was laughing. Palmer almost made himself laugh when he found a way to work it in.

The prophet Palmer, just before the granny, made this comment about the previous pitch that the batter swung through:

"That was a grand slam slider."

And, of course, the "allergic" quote is about how Palmer never threw a grandslam in his career (once Cakes loaded the bases, he kept walking batters until until Weaver would pull him for a reliever).

This one is a little naughty,,,,

During one of the spring training games, Palmer was talking about Derek Lee and his injuries last year, he mentioned he had a wrist problem and an enlarged d*ck. Obviosly he meant to say disc and after he said it he quickly corrected himself.

This is a Gary Thorne quote. In yesterday's game when Jeremy Guthrie pinch ran at first, he said, "Jeremy was ready to pinch run yesterday if the situation presented itself." I guess he forgot that Jeremy was the starting pitcher and can't pinch run!

This one is a little naughty...he mentioned he had a wrist problem and an enlarged d*ck.

So tempting to make a masturbatory joke here.

Palmer today: "My all star game in 1977 when I threw 3 home runs."

Edited by Cider Jim