CharmCityCrab

Orioles "By Far the Lowest Offer" for Teixeria (Of 5 Teams)

Well, this is new to me. All I'd seen before was the endless speculation/fabrication merry-go-round on here. Maybe someday we'll know what the actual offer was.

No, you'll always have to chose who's telling the truth, our FO, or Tex / Boris.

While the feature that allows you to put a poster on "ignore" is nice, I'd like to be able to put whole topics on "ignore." If I never saw another thread on this subject, it would be too soon. Mind you, I'm not criticizing the OP, because I'm sure plenty of posters remain very interested in this topic even though it's 2+ years in the rear view mirror.

I'm not blaming the OP either. I'm blaming the reporter (I never heard of...) for taking the lazy, lowest common denominator way out.

"The Yanks are in town. I'll go interview Tex and dredge all this up again!"

:rolleyestf:

Well, this is new to me. All I'd seen before was the endless speculation/fabrication merry-go-round on here. Maybe someday we'll know what the actual offer was.

7/140-150 as an opening offer is good enough for me to know that it wasn't a lowball offer. I am more curious as to whether the Orioles received a counter-proposal or were rejected outright. If he actually wanted to come here, that offer would not have insulted him enough to walk away from negotiations.

• Upvote 1

While the feature that allows you to put a poster on "ignore" is nice, I'd like to be able to put whole topics on "ignore." If I never saw another thread on this subject, it would be too soon. Mind you, I'm not criticizing the OP, because I'm sure plenty of posters remain very interested in this topic even though it's 2+ years in the rear view mirror.

It's by far the biggest blunder of MacPhail's tenure in Baltimore. The Orioles had a chance to land Teixiera, don't and now need him more than ever and he's not there to be had while their rivals are enjoying his services.

In the history of failed FA transactions in the past 13 years of losing - none was worse than the failed pursuit of Tex IMO.

It's by far the biggest blunder of MacPhail's tenure in Baltimore. The Orioles had a chance to land Teixiera, don't and now need him more than ever and he's not there to be had while their rivals are enjoying his services.

In the history of failed FA transactions in the past 13 years of losing - none was worse than the failed pursuit of Tex IMO.

I disagree with you and have no interest in restating the reasons I've given 100 times before, or hearing your 100 counterarguments, all of which I've heard before. I'd rather focus on 2011 and where we go from here.

He signed with the Yankees for 8 years, 22.5 million per year. The Orioles opening offer was for 7 years, 20-21.5 million per year. That isn't low-balling. The Orioles might have been willing to step their offer up to 7/157.5 to equal the AAV but were unwilling to commit to the 8th year.

I love how you want to twist and cajole the numbers to try to make it look like we were "close".

Bottom line is we offered $145 million MAX, and he signed for $180 million.

Hate to break it to you, but that is NOT close. Unless you think $35 million is just spare change.

Oh and BTW, this is the real world and the "AAV" means squat. I doubt that was brought up in negotiations.

I love how you want to twist and cajole the numbers to try to make it look like we were "close".

Bottom line is we offered $145 million MAX, and he signed for $180 million.

Hate to break it to you, but that is NOT close. Unless you think $35 million is just spare change.

Oh and BTW, this is the real world and the "AAV" means squat. I doubt that was brought up in negotiations.

AAV is more important than the overall value of the deal.

Why bring this stupid argument up yet again. There can be no resolution. The AM haters will continue too say he low balled T-bag to cover his cheap butt, and the T-bag haters will say he was a two faced liar that never intended to play in B'more, and never the twain shall meet.

Why bring this stupid argument up yet again. There can be no resolution. The AM haters will continue too say he low balled T-bag to cover his cheap butt, and the T-bag haters will say he was a two faced liar that never intended to play in B'more, and never the twain shall meet.

It's a new quote to me. Never heard something like this from Teixeira before.

It's a new quote to me. Never heard something like this from Teixeira before.

Do you somehow feel it is more valid coming from Tex? For me, after hearing the constant boo's at Camden Yards I'd think he would have made this comment (assuming it's true) at that time.

Baltimore kid hated in Baltimore for choosing Yankees over Orioles. Doesn't like it. Says Orioles were never really interested.

Come on people, you can argue that we mishandled the negotiation, but there is no way that we didn't want him. Andy said during the negotiations themselves he was willing to raise the offer if Tex would reengage.

I am 99% sure this is just a way for Tex to try and get back in better graces with Orioles fans. I hope none of you fall for it.

I don't understand why Teixiera would care about the Orioles' fan's opinion of him. I also don't think most O's fans are naive. I suspect by now sensible fans know him for what he is - a guy who took the money. Nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with letting him know that we're happy to not have to look at that cheesy expression every day of baseball season. And to root for it as well? Nauseating.