VeveJones007

O's to take Archie Bradley? Nope, Dylan Bundy!

On my phone, so I'm not sure how to link. Jon Heyman reported on Twitter that there is a rumor that the O's will take HS RHP Archie Bradley #4. He wonders if the O's would really pass on Hueltzen if the first 3 are Cole, Rendon, Bauer.

On my phone, so I'm not sure how to link. Jon Heyman reported on Twitter that there is a rumor that the O's will take HS RHP Archie Bradley #4. He wonders if the O's would really pass on Hueltzen if the first 3 are Cole, Rendon, Bauer.

With Hultzen being from the area, I don't think they pass. Having a geographic advantage is something you have to consider.

I'm no amateur draft expert, so someone fill me in: Would picking Bradley be the equivalent of the Hobgood pick?

I don't think it's quite that bad, but I'd be surprised if there were many draft boards that have Bradley rated above Bundy, Hultzen, and/or Starling.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's quite that bad, but I'd be surprised if there were many draft boards that have Bradley rated above Bundy, Hultzen, and/or Starling.

Yeah, not QUITE as bad, but I will say the part that bothers me about it is that I keep hearing the "S" word associated with this change in pick. (Signability) Pretty sure we all remember the last time that popped up for us (Hobgood). Your first round pick is NOT an area you should be trying to save nickles and dimes. If you want to do that, don't sign Vlad.

Bradley has been rated the 2nd or 3rd best HS pitcher in this draft, not sure if he's a Hobgood pick because he has a football scholarship to the University of Oklahoma and has some pretty aggressive (just below Bundy) bonus demands. He is generally viewed as a 5-10 pick.

Bradley has been rated the 2nd or 3rd best HS pitcher in this draft, not sure if he's a Hobgood pick because he has a football scholarship to the University of Oklahoma and has some pretty aggressive (just below Bundy) bonus demands. He is generally viewed as a 5-10 pick.

Well you have to also add that there are so many highly rated college picks that just because he's the 2nd best HS pick doesn't necessarily mean he's top 10. I have him right around that area, but I would rate most of the top college guys ahead of him easily. Ok fastball, I think will lose some velo when he's on a pro schedule, should hang around low 90's though, great curveball (but then again I remember another HS arm with a similar 1-2 pitch punch that hasn't worked out so well). He's not a 2 year and ready guy either.

Thanks for the info! I just noticed in Roch's blog entry this morning that he mentioned that the O's really like his 98 MPH fastball and devastating curveball. Sorry, I'd link it up but I'm on my phone and I figure all of you know how to find it. ;)

Sports Guy, I think you already know the answer to that... Unfortunately.

Edited by The Rick

I've heard great things about him, but don't remember exactly where.

I can't imagine they take him if Bundy's still on the board. If Bundy, Cole and Rendon are all gone, I guess I could see it. I'm not sure what I'd think about the move. He's a helium guy who's making a strong late-season push to be picked very high. I'd imagine his upside is better than Hultzen and Bauer, but not as high as Bundy's.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• B. IMO, these rankings have been revolving around potential, mostly.  And if people want to weigh the grades towards potential, that's fine but it usually doesn't take into account that the potential might not pan out.  Adley is a great prospect and if you're going to bet on someone, you should bet on him but there's still a chance he could not be the all-world catcher that we're hoping for.  And the B is because of Adley, not because I'm enthralled with what we currently have. Severino and Sisco are decent (not great) hitting catchers.  After his red hot start to 2020, Severino came back down to earth pretty quickly, his OPS+ didn't crack 100.  I love Sisco's plate discipline, his separation between his batting average and on base percentage is pretty absurd but I'm not sure if hell ever hit above .250.  If he did, his on base percentage could end up over .400.  His OPS+ this year was 105. Both of these guys have average defense, at best.   I'm not sure if SG's claim of having the best catching situation in the sport is accurate as I'm not up to date on what other franchise situations look like.  But when you have a top 5 prospect at catcher, you can probably be in the conversation, so I'll go along and agree with him.  But again, if you're going to give out grades for untapped potential, you also need to take into account that these guys might not work out.
    • I feel like it is really tough to evaluate the future of a bullpen just because of the unknowns. Who really knows what flawed starter will be thrown to the bullpen and be a stud....I don’t think anyone saw Zach Britton coming. I guess the good news is that when you have the depth the Os are growing, it gives a decent indication that there can be impact arms in the pen.
    • I understand the OP grade of an A, but I would imagine that grade takes into account what our organization was as much as what it currently is. If you compare it to our history, I would agree with the A grade. But comparing to other organizations, I would think a B is probably more realistic. I say this having done zero research to support this comment. Either way, I am happy with the state of the pitching, and think next year will be a big one to see what we actually have.
    • Depth drove that one.  We have the best catching prospect, but not much depth.  Knock on wood, Adley gets hurt/doesn't perform, our grade would drop tremendously.
    • This is a pretty simplistic way of looking at Brocail's body of work - albeit unusual from our best poster. I do not have the time to go into more detail, but I will put out a few thoughts that may have led to a change in our pitching coach - in the absence of looking at a detailed pitcher by pitcher analysis from last year to this year. - I believe our defense was supposed to be better in 2020 than 2019 - something that could have impacted pitcher results. - the removal of Dylan Bundy (2019 ERA 4.79, ERA+ 98) and the addition of Alex Cobb (2020 ERA 4.30, ERA+ 106) - speaking of Mr. Bundy, his improvement in results in 2020 with another organization based on a change in pitch mix (as well as opponents) is not a good reflection on our pitching coach - especially if it were determined that the pitch mix change was something that should have been implemented last year based on available data.  Not sure of the results of other pitchers who left the organization. - also not sure of the improvement of someone like Tanner Scott  from 2019 (ERA 4.78, ERA+99) to 2020 (ERA 1.31, ERA+351!) - what role did Brocail have in the improvement or perhaps in Scott's mediocre numbers last year. My guess is that our GM has made a numbers based decision on Brocail - just as it was pointed out here how bad Flores was in 2020.  
    • So is Brocail done with the O's all together, or could he be reassigned?
  • Popular Contributors