Sign in to follow this  
joew

1st rd (4) - Dylan Bundy - RHP, Owasso HS

From Steve Melewski:

"There was a big number out there, but today we got new information on that. He looked me in the eye and said 'Joe, I want to be drafted by the Orioles and pitch in a major league rotation with my brother for the Orioles."

Jordan said Bundy had "one of the best deliveries of any pitcher in the draft."

He called his workout regimen and long-toss regimen "not an issue" and said "he has a couple of programs we don't do, mostly off the field stuff."

Jordan said he first saw Bundy play third base as a high school freshman when he was scouting his brother Bobby. Now one day, two brothers could be in the same rotation pitching in Baltimore.

Is this why they took Bundy instead of Bradley?:

From Britt

Don't care, frankly.

You never know what's legit and what's not these days. I'm happy with the pick.

It was too much to pass up. Joe likes high schoolers, pitchers, and kids from Oklahoma. Dylan is the trifecta. :D

I wanted a college arm but if Bundy is advanced and can move quickly this should be a great pick. Tell you waht, Jordan is certainly not afraid to take gambles...

"he has a couple of programs we don't do, mostly off the field stuff."

Probably the boxing:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tP75ZTK5EcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2nd inning- There is a video of you as a 14 year old of you boxing to prepare for baseball. How does boxing help you as a baseball player. By the way, that is one of the biggest “dang, this kid is a warrior” moments I have ever had watching a high school prospect.

Ha ha, Thanks, Bobby (older brother) was actually suppose to do the video. We were doing a video because several colleges and individuals were asking us about the workout and it’s difficult to explain. During warm-up Bobby slipped the bag and hit Dad in the chin. Without going into the anger that followed I was told to do the routine.

When you think of athletes in other sports Boxers, Swimmers, and Sprinters, have great shoulders. I do a workout involving all three, but the boxing we found out had an added benefit. It’s not the throwing of the punch but, the rebound off the bag that fires the small muscles in the back and cuff area of the shoulder that is hard to achieve with other exercises. Secondly it is one of the best cardio exercises we do and lastly it’s a great confidence builder

http://www.pinetarpress.com/?p=5369

Love the Jordan quotes. Especially that he wanted to be here and that he'll move at an accelerated pace.

From Steve Melewski:

Man, good thing we drafted his brother.. sounds like that really boosted our chances of snagging him.

It was too much to pass up. Joe likes high schoolers, pitchers, and kids from Oklahoma. Dylan is the trifecta. :D

I wanted a college arm but if Bundy is advanced and can move quickly this should be a great pick. Tell you waht, Jordan is certainly not afraid to take gambles...

I preferred the college arm as well but if you can get a HSer who can arguably move as quickly as the college arm, its tough to fault that pick.

The Yahoo Sport link quoted above in CCBird's post is pretty interesting. It talks about Bundy's desire to be drafted by a team which allows pitchers to long toss and how he told both Pittsburgh and KC not to draft him because they don't allow it.

That article and others on the net show what an advanced student of the game Bundy is. There is even YouTube video of him doing boxing exercises at age 14 to strengthen his rotator cuff.

So, do the O's advocate the long toss program for their minor league pitchers? Will Bundy be able to continue to train like he does now or will the 'know it all' O's farm system change his technique just enough that he loses velocity? I love the pick. I just hope the O's don't screw up his development.

Well, he is young and a HS arm, do they want to have him shut things down and then start things back up in August just to make a few appearances?

Its possible.

Well you are actually allowed to sign a guy right away and have him pitch. Does the prior relationship with the family open the door to the O's and Bundy agreeing on the dollars very fast? Personally I think it would be great if the signing deadline was moved to 15 days after the draft.

Well you are actually allowed to sign a guy right away and have him pitch. Does the prior relationship with the family open the door to the O's and Bundy agreeing on the dollars very fast? Personally I think it would be great if the signing deadline was moved to 15 days after the draft.

JJ already said he will be a tough sign and it will take time.

Bundy gets signed on the deadline day IMO.

I preferred the college arm as well but if you can get a HSer who can arguably move as quickly as the college arm, its tough to fault that pick.

I agree. As long as he's advanced and can move fairly quickly he's a good pick. I'd love to see him sign quickly and go to Aberdeen for about eight starts but I doubt that happens. If he does that he could start next year at Delmarva and move to Frederick before the year is out. He could be in Bowie by 2013.

So, here is my theory on how it all went down.

The Orioles floated they wanted Archie hoping that Arizona would take him at #3. I imagine they knew the DBacks wanted him. And since the #7 pick for the DBacks isn't guaranteed next year, if they don't sign him then they might consider taking him at #3 to protect that pick. Now, it didn't quite turn out that way, however I imagine this was done to pressure the Dbacks into forcing their hand. That being said, the Dbacks don't like to waste picks, so I am surprised they took him at #7 given that he is a signability risk.