Tony-OH

6th Round - Nick Delmonico - 3B - Farragut HS

Should the Orioles pay it, when looking at what else they have done thus far?

Business decision. From a baseball standpoint I don't think I'd pay $2MM for him, but if my owner was willing to open the checkbook w/o limiting potential later moves I'd do it. There really are not many players falling at all, so I probably ink him if I can.

Business decision. From a baseball standpoint I don't think I'd pay $2MM for him, but if my owner was willing to open the checkbook w/o limiting potential later moves I'd do it. There really are not many players falling at all, so I probably ink him if I can.

I don't seem to recall the O's going much past 1 for overslot guys. You think he'll sign for +/- that amount?

I don't seem to recall the O's going much past 1 for overslot guys. You think he'll sign for +/- that amount?

I don't know. My understanding was that mid-1st round money was what he was looking for.

I like Nicky a lot. Not sure if he's worth what he's asking, but I'd prefer the flier here vs. a meh college arm destined for loogydom.

I question why Jordan/AM would be willing to throw close to 2 MM at Delmonico but not 3 MM at Norris or some other guys I have ranked higher, but maybe they think they can convince him to come down some. We'll see.

Risk/reward. Good pop. May stick at 3rd. I agree with Stotle, he is raw behind the plate and I don't see it ever working out. Would just slow his development.

I like Nicky a lot. Not sure if he's worth what he's asking, but I'd prefer the flier here vs. a meh college arm destined for loogydom.

I question why Jordan/AM would be willing to throw close to 2 MM at Delmonico but not 3 MM at Norris or some other guys I have ranked higher, but maybe they think they can convince him to come down some. We'll see.

Risk/reward. Good pop. May stick at 3rd. I agree with Stotle, he is raw behind the plate and I don't see it ever working out. Would just slow his development.

Not even a matter of raw. He throws rainbows to second base.

What's his alternative to signing? What college program has he committed to? I didn't see that in the links/videos I checked from this thread (OK, I admit I gave up and got lazy after 3 or 4 so maybe I missed one).

What's his alternative to signing? What college program has he committed to? I didn't see that in the links/videos I checked from this thread (OK, I admit I gave up and got lazy after 3 or 4 so maybe I missed one).

He's committed to Georgia.

I read a comment about back problems in the HardballTalk (nbcsports) recap... do you know know if that's anything of significance?

EDIT: not Hardball Times; I'm falling asleep already.

Should the Orioles pay it, when looking at what else they have done thus far?

They drafted him knowing that it's meaningless if they cannot sign him. My money's on J.J. getting things done somehow.

Not even a matter of raw. He throws rainbows to second base.

Well, if they stick him at 3B it's a non issue. Otherwise I hope his rainbows come with a leprechaun to trip up base runners.

Here's a local news article. Delmonico says the O's called him the day of the draft to ask what it would take to sign him, so it sounds like they weren't scared off. His dad used to be Tennessee's head baseball coach, BTW (as was Mark Connor before him).

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jun/07/baltimore-orioles-draft-farraguts-nicky-delmonico/

• Upvote 1

Here's a local news article. Delmonico says the O's called him the day of the draft to ask what it would take to sign him, so it sounds like they weren't scared off. His dad used to be Tennessee's head baseball coach, BTW (as was Mark Connor before him).

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jun/07/baltimore-orioles-draft-farraguts-nicky-delmonico/

Good find. That adds some optimism to us signing him.