Jump to content
Tony-OH

6th Round - Nick Delmonico - 3B - Farragut HS

Recommended Posts

This is going to be a tough sign, no doubt. It's going to come down to whether the Orioles want to meet his price so I'll bet they watch him closely this summer and if they determine he's worth his demands then he'll be an Oriole. Unless he comes off his price, and I doubt he does, this will come down to the wire if it gets done at all.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is he doesn't sign unless he comes down from his demands or Bundy is inked for <7 MM. Should be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My guess is he doesn't sign unless he comes down from his demands or Bundy is inked for <7 MM. Should be interesting.

That seems about right for Bundy though. Taillon got 6.5M last year as the 2nd pick. They're pretty comparable. I just don't think he's going to walk away from more than that, especially with the new CBA coming up. With AM's involvement with the commissioner's office, I think he's going to have a pretty good idea of what to expect for the Amateur Draft from here on out. Not really someone you can bluff. My point is that the O's should be able to pull off getting them both in. If you need to sell off a RP at the deadline to make it work, then do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That seems about right for Bundy though. Taillon got 6.5M last year as the 2nd pick. They're pretty comparable. I just don't think he's going to walk away from more than that, especially with the new CBA coming up. With AM's involvement with the commissioner's office, I think he's going to have a pretty good idea of what to expect for the Amateur Draft from here on out. Not really someone you can bluff. My point is that the O's should be able to pull off getting them both in. If you need to sell off a RP at the deadline to make it work, then do it.

Somewhere around 7 sounds right. It's going to go down to the last minute, and it depends on who caves first, but I expect him to sign and I expect it to be for somewhere between 6 to 8 MM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Somewhere around 7 sounds right. It's going to go down to the last minute, and it depends on who caves first, but I expect him to sign and I expect it to be for somewhere between 6 to 8 MM.

I just don't see any reason for it to go down to the last minute. BAL has no leverage -- their draft is entirely hinged on signing Bundy. Further, the Bundy family has a chance to put both kids in the same professional system. This makes way too much sense for it not to happen. Finally, Bundy is the top prep arm and can be expected to set the market. So, I see no reason why BAL and Bundy can't work out a deal earlier than the deadline (most likely favorable to Bundy), even if MLB waits until August 14 or 15 to announce it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just don't see any reason for it to go down to the last minute. BAL has no leverage -- their draft is entirely hinged on signing Bundy. Further, the Bundy family has a chance to put both kids in the same professional system. This makes way too much sense for it not to happen. Finally, Bundy is the top prep arm and can be expected to set the market. So, I see no reason why BAL and Bundy can't work out a deal earlier than the deadline (most likely favorable to Bundy), even if MLB waits until August 14 or 15 to announce it.

There will be pressure from MLB for BAL to set the precedent, but if they set the precedent with a monster deal favorable to Bundy, MLB might not approve it early. I'm just of the assumption that deals of this magnitude are going to go down to the last minute until the deadline rules are changed.

And, from speaking with Denver Bundy (Dylan's pop and BBI advisor), they are determined to sign a big, big deal. The sentimental aspect is interesting, but they are not going to back down one inch just because Bobby's in the organization. This is a negotiation years in the making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There will be pressure from MLB for BAL to set the precedent, but if they set the precedent with a monster deal favorable to Bundy, MLB might not approve it early. I'm just of the assumption that deals of this magnitude are going to go down to the last minute until the deadline rules are changed.

And, from speaking with Denver Bundy (Dylan's pop and BBI advisor), they are determined to sign a big, big deal. The sentimental aspect is interesting, but they are not going to back down one inch just because Bobby's in the organization. This is a negotiation years in the making.

I don't think Bundy is signing slot, but if he gets a record setting offer (which he likely will) he'll be silly to turn it down. They can posture, but he isn't getting Strasburg money and Baltimore would be crazy to give a high schooler a ML deal (even he could there in three years). I agree it won't be approved until last minute, but I don't see ANY reason for the negotiations to actually stretch into August 15. If it does, it's a poorly run negotiation on both sides.

Even $7 million is more than most top college pitchers get in the draft. BAL needs to get the deal done, but it should be enough to break the record for $ to a HS arm. Sentimentality aside, it's flat out stupid to risk the health and financial future of your son past a reasonable amount. If they turn down a $7 million offer, that is exactly what they will be doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't think Bundy is signing slot, but if he gets a record setting offer (which he likely will) he'll be silly to turn it down. They can posture, but he isn't getting Strasburg money and Baltimore would be crazy to give a high schooler a ML deal (even he could there in three years). I agree it won't be approved until last minute, but I don't see ANY reason for the negotiations to actually stretch into August 15. If it does, it's a poorly run negotiation on both sides.

Even $7 million is more than most top college pitchers get in the draft. BAL needs to get the deal done, but it should be enough to break the record for $ to a HS arm.

No, he's not turning it down. He's signing. They are just going to wring every dollar out of it that they can. The earlier he signs, the more favorable the deal will be for the Bundy family. It might not go to Aug. 15th, but I don't believe it'll be quick.

I'd love to be wrong. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No, he's not turning it down. He's signing. They are just going to wring every dollar out of it that they can. The earlier he signs, the more favorable the deal will be for the Bundy family. It might not go to Aug. 15th, but I don't believe it'll be quick.

I'd love to be wrong. We'll see.

I'm not saying you are wrong -- I'm just saying there is no reason for this to be a will he/won't he situation on August 15. I'd expect the family to get every dollar they can, but I've spoken with enough unreasonable families to know that when these deals blow up nine times out of ten it's because the family lacks perspective and sensibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not saying you are wrong -- I'm just saying there is no reason for this to be a will he/won't he situation on August 15. I'd expect the family to get every dollar they can, but I've spoken with enough unreasonable families to know that when these deals blow up nine times out of ten it's because the family lacks perspective and sensibility.

I see what you're getting at now, and I agree. And one thing the Bundy family definitely does NOT lack is perspective and sensibility. I don't think this is a will he/won't he situation. Just think that, unfortunately, it's going to take a minute.

Maybe both sides can get together, look down the road and say "we all know where this is going, let's just meet there now and get it over with." That would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not saying you are wrong -- I'm just saying there is no reason for this to be a will he/won't he situation on August 15. I'd expect the family to get every dollar they can, but I've spoken with enough unreasonable families to know that when these deals blow up nine times out of ten it's because the family lacks perspective and sensibility.

At the end of the day does it really matter? Unless he is signing in the next couple of weeks, he isn't going to pitch at all. Maybe he really shouldn't even pitch other than go down to the facilities to work with the coaches. He did have a lot of innings.

Guess the only reasons it matters are:

- just to get it over with

- understand what you have left to play around with for the other draftees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
At the end of the day does it really matter? Unless he is signing in the next couple of weeks, he isn't going to pitch at all. Maybe he really shouldn't even pitch other than go down to the facilities to work with the coaches. He did have a lot of innings.

Guess the only reasons it matters are:

- just to get it over with

- understand what you have left to play around with for the other draftees

No, I don't think it matters at all. The tough signs BAL has, outside of Delmonico, should all be under seven figures. If Baltimore wants them, they should be able to get them either way.

Just dealing with high leverage negotiations on a day-to-day basis, this seems pretty cut and dry as far as the end game for each side, and the reasonable requests from both sides. The only reason there should be any issues with negotiations is if someone decides to get unreasonable. The negotiating window would appear to be very small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not saying you are wrong -- I'm just saying there is no reason for this to be a will he/won't he situation on August 15. I'd expect the family to get every dollar they can, but I've spoken with enough unreasonable families to know that when these deals blow up nine times out of ten it's because the family lacks perspective and sensibility.

Exactly. Bundy's options would likely appear to be the following:

1. Sign a record-breaking deal now...likely in the $7 million range.

2. Go to school and play for a couple of years.

With the former strategy, he gets a big chunk of change now. So much, in fact, that he's not likely to severly improve upon that number, particularly with respect to time value of money, even if he performs for a couple of years. This risks the unknown associated with future ceilings on draft picks and the obvious injury issue. It also potentially pushes back his eventual Free Agency. If he's that good for the next two years that he'd actually improve his value, wouldn't you want that time as an excelling player to push your eventual free agent period? I suppose that particular part of the deal could be further mitigated with a ML deal now. Maybe that's ultimately the thing they push for?

Either way, he'll sign. There's too much risk in not doing so, and not enough upside to hold out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I see what you're getting at now, and I agree. And one thing the Bundy family definitely does NOT lack is perspective and sensibility. I don't think this is a will he/won't he situation. Just think that, unfortunately, it's going to take a minute.

Maybe both sides can get together, look down the road and say "we all know where this is going, let's just meet there now and get it over with." That would be nice.

I wouldn't imagine they do lack perspective. Which is why I have to believe they know what a reasonable "best case" scenario actually looks like. I think it's probably an ML deal -- which would require BAL to get comfortable with moving Bundy quickly. Maybe that is a sticking point. But there isn't a good argument for expecting him to get 80% more than Taillon got. Maybe he gets it, but if he does it will be because BAL feels backed into a corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...