phattybeers

Rule 5 Draft

That's too bad. I was really hoping we could get this guy.

What time does the draft actually start today?[/QUOTE]

I think it starts at 10 am. Perfect, because my school district has a 2 hour delay and I won't have students coming in until at least 10:45. :D Does anyone know where I can find coverage of the draft to follow as it's going on?

That's too bad. I was really hoping we could get this guy.

What time does the draft actually start today?[/QUOTE]

I think it starts at 10 am. Perfect, because my school district has a 2 hour delay and I won't have students coming in until at least 10:45. :D Does anyone know where I can find coverage of the draft to follow as it's going on?

I don't know if you have XM radio, but I think I remember their MLB channel covering it last year. Unfortunately, I don't have mine at work...so, I'llr ely on people here posting updates. Have any picks been made yet?

And the Cardinals select Barton after the Orioles. Figures...

By the way, here are Bierd's stats. Not that we really have to look, it's clear that anyone with the name Randor Bierd will be a successful ML player. It just sounds like a good baseball name, ya know?

I would have preferred Barton, but Bierd looks like a reasonable pick. Looks like he started to "get it" last year. I give him a 50/50 shot of sticking as a middle/setup guy.

Looks like a nice bullpen pick.

6'4", 190 lbs. Born on my birthday but 12 yrs younger (that makes him 23). Spent last year in low A for 15 games then AA for 27 games in relief.

AA stats only

3-2, 3.35 era 42.1 IP with only 31 hits allowed. 52/10 k/bb. 1.97 BB/9, 10.25 k/9 .188 avg against. 0.90 whip

Looks decent for the pen. Start him in mop up situations and progress from there.

Not that we really have to look, it's clear that anyone with the name Randor Bierd will be a successful ML player. It just sounds like a good baseball name, ya know?

Hayden Penn is so screwed.

• Upvote 1

I like what I've read about this guy and his stats last year were straight up nasty. His peripherals in 2006 were actually good too, they don't match his ERA that year. He had a definite bump in the road in 2005, but hopefully he is back on track. We could do a lot worse for a middle reliever.

From my post in the Rule V thread:

Looks like a nice bullpen pick.

6'4", 190 lbs. Born on my birthday but 12 yrs younger (that makes him 23). Spent last year in low A for 15 games then AA for 27 games in relief.

AA stats only

3-2, 3.35 era 42.1 IP with only 31 hits allowed. 52/10 k/bb. 1.97 BB/9, 10.25 k/9 .188 avg against. 0.90 whip

Looks decent for the pen. Start him in mop up situations and progress from there.

I think teams get scared off by position players somewhat due to them usually getting sporadic at bats at best most of the time. There seems to be more mop up type situations where relief pitchers can get into actual game situations and it seems that working on the side with a major league pitching coach and the things you can do there might be a little more beneficial to pitchers than working with the major league batting coach.

Good BB/K and K/9 rates throughout, it seems. Has anyone seen any write-ups describing what he throws, quality of pitches, etc.?