phattybeers

Rule 5 Draft

I like his numbers, and he always has had good command.

But most imporantly, RANDOR BIERD! Now that is a name I can get behind.

I think middle relief is a great place for Rule 5 talent. Good choice.

I must have missed the deal...Did we trade him?

Deals fall apart all the time...Unless they had deals in place before the rule 5, to assume we are going to get these guys is foolish.

Actually I think you traded BRob about 3 months ago.

The AAA pitcher we took looks interesting as well. No where near as interesting as Bierd, but he seems to have improved after moving from starting to the bullpen. Could be good depth and maybe a bullpen candidate for 2009.

The O's take INF Jonathan Martinez in the AA phase:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/Jonathan-Martinez.shtml

He is strictly minor league filler. Plays multiple positions, hits like Mother Theresa (now, not in her prime). ;)

EDIT: Wrong player, see post 138.

• Upvote 1

The AAA pitcher we took looks interesting as well. No where near as interesting as Bierd, but he seems to have improved after moving from starting to the bullpen. Could be good depth and maybe a bullpen candidate for 2009.

The O's take INF Jonathan Martinez in the AA phase:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/Jonathan-Martinez.shtml

He is strictly minor league filler. Plays multiple positions, hits like Mother Theresa (now, not in her prime). ;)

Probably every bit the player LH is.

For whatever reason, the "baseball minds" controlling the O's for the last 10+ years have taken us down a dark and dismal road because of their decision making. An now, with AM - and his supposed brilliant baseball mind - makes a move eerily similiar to previous leadership....ie, passing over Barton and selecting Bierd. I would have jumped on Barton, warts and all....but then, that's just my opinion.

For whatever reason, the "baseball minds" controlling the O's for the last 10+ years have taken us down a dark and dismal road because of their decision making. An now, with AM - and his supposed brilliant baseball mind - makes a move eerily similiar to previous leadership....ie, passing over Barton and selecting Bierd. I would have jumped on Barton, warts and all....but then, that's just my opinion.
Huh?

Bierd looks to be a lot better and much, much more likely to be a solid MLB player than Barton, IMO. You certainly can't say passing Barton for Bierd was a terrible move. If Barton was such a sure thing, 9 other players wouldn't have been taken before him.

Huh?

Bierd looks to be a lot better and much, much more likely to be a solid MLB player than Barton, IMO. You certainly can't say passing Barton for Bierd was a terrible move. If Barton was such a sure thing, 9 other players wouldn't have been taken before him.

Plus, you have to consider which player you can keep on the roster all year. Say the worst happens and the player you take is abysmal, just not ready for the big leagues, but you see signs that he can improve and be a contributor down the line. Which guy is easier to hide on the roster? A reliever, or an outfielder (when other outfielders on your roster include such luminaries as Jay Payton and Tike Redman)? Take the reliever, who can be used in mop up duty, can work on the side with Kranitz, etc. It's easier for pitchers to get back into it after being out of it for a while. Hitters need to catch up to game speed, etc.

Huh?

Like I said, it's just my opinion. But Barton could have cheaply filled an immediate hole in CF, or could have been a solid 4th OF'er. He is very intelligent....he has a degree in aerospace engineering....and he definitely has the tools. As for why the other teams passed...probably the same reason that the O's did....the knee problem.

And it's not that Bierd doesn't look promising, it's that the O's FO are making the same mistake...out of desperation?.... that they made with some other MiL pitchers....expecting them to make the jump from AA to the majors and be successful.

Like I said, it's just my opinion. But Barton could have cheaply filled an immediate hole in CF, or could have been a solid 4th OF'er. He is very intelligent....he has a degree in aerospace engineering....and he definitely has the tools. As for why the other teams passed...probably the same reason that the O's did....the knee problem.

And it's not that Bierd doesn't look promising, it's that the O's FO are making the same mistake...out of desperation?.... that they made with some other MiL pitchers....expecting them to make the jump from AA to the majors and be successful.

I think its more the Question of his character by some scouts..I agree though i would have taken him and given him a shot.

Wonder if we already filled the spot Murton kemp Nick I love that outfield