Sign in to follow this  
Sports Guy

Biggest individual disappointment of the season?

Biggest disappointment this year?  

176 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Biggest disappointment this year?

• Matusz
    • Wieters' lack of power
    • Nick's lack of power
    • BRob's concussions
    • Tillman
    • DLee
    • Vlad
    • BP outside of JJ and Koji
    • LF production from Pie and Reimold
    • other..please name

Matusz. At least Wieters has played and been worth 2.4 WAR.

Yeah, Brian's been injured. But it's not like he took a line drive to the face or tore something in his shoulder (though a more serious, as-yet undisclosed injury wouldn't be shocking). His conditioning has come under heavy fire. He looks absolutely lost on the mound.

Wieters arrived with expectations that reached the upper-atmosphere, and he's merely proven to be a comfortably above-average MLer. Matusz's expectations were simply lofty, but his 2011 performance makes it seem as though he has no business donning a professional uniform.

IMO, Wieters' production hurts on an emotional, semi-irrational level more than Matusz's. But given that Brian was supposed to anchor the starting staff for years, and now it's fair to question whether he'll ever be...a regular (let alone average, let alone good, let alone ace-like) ML starter...he's definitely the bigger disappointment.

I voted Matusz but let's look at Wieter's stats again against other catcher's in the majors with at least 200 AB's:

AB's: 2nd

Runs: 4th-best for him

Hits: 7th

2B: tied for 8th

HR's: tied for 14th

RBI's tied for 13th

BB's: 13th

K's: 11th

AVG: 16th

OBP: 22

SLG: 19th

OPS: 21st

This is just against other catchers in the majors. How do we know Wieter's calls a good game?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/c/sort/OPS/order/true/minpa/200

I voted Matusz but let's look at Wieter's stats again against other catcher's in the majors with at least 200 AB's:

RBI's tied for 13th

This is just against other catchers in the majors. How do we know Wieter's calls a good game?

Lol tied for 14th amongst all catchers in HRs and 21st in OPS. I couldn't even believe that. Yea he's awesome. What a freaking disappointing bust.

I didn't read the whole thread but my biggest disappointment is with Buck Showalter. His hiring of Conner as pitching coach was a colossal debacle and may have sabotaged the season. He has shown to be no better than Trembley or any other manager we have had in the past decade.

There are so many disappointments this season, I don't know how anyone can say this was an easy choice, other than trying to act like their opinion is the only correct one.

For me, I am VERY disappointed in Roberts not being on the field, but Andino has played well enough. Plus, the whole Roberts thing frankly pisses me off. I really am starting to feel like he is milking this thing. I know concussions are bad, but how is his worse than the football players getting their heads slammed to the ground play after play? I think its time to admit one of two things, either BRob is seriously ill and the concussion just brought it to the forefront, or else he is milking it and collecting his paycheck!

Then it came down to Matusz vs Wieters. For Brian, first he was injured, then we heard about him not being ready for the season. After coming back from injury he has needed time to get back into pitching shape, and its just not coming yet. I am disappointed, but the injury saved him from getting my vote.

My vote goes to Matt Wieters. YES, he's a great catcher. No arguments there. YES, he a decent hitter FOR a catcher. No arguments there either. But, like others have said, he was supposed to be our middle of the order powerhouse. He was supposed to be the offensive force to build this team around. In essence, he was supposed to be OUR Albert Pujols. Instead, he's a "good player for a catcher." Well, going from "The switch hitting Jesus" to "A good player for a catcher" is the VERY definition of the word disappointment. He's still young. He's still got time to improve. He still could become that force. But the poll question specifically calls out "Wieters' lack of power" and 11 homers and 40 rbi's through 3/4 of the season sure as hell is a lack of power if I ever saw it.

:agree:

The question was biggest disappointment this year.

There were lots of signs and a lot of at bats before this year that said Matt was not going to hit for power. His lack of power is a disappointment that was apparent in previous years and I didn't expect a lot different this year. He has really stepped up his defense this year which has been one of the few positives for this year. He is a disappointment, but there is no way he is a bust and most of the disappointment was apparent before this year.

Matusz everyone had extremely high hopes for this year based on the way he finished last year. Has to be the winner. His lack of performance has been really shocking.

BRob's concussion is a great disappointment, was unexpected, has to be right up there close to Matusz. It is an injury and injuries happen.

Vlad, I expected little from Vlad this year but he has sunk below even what I expected.

Lee, I had hopes for but he was not 100% in ST and to start the year. A disappointment but nothing compared to Matusz.

Tillman, I was luke warm about before this year and his progress or lack of it is disappointing but not unexpected.

BP - a disappointment but not really shocking

LF - Pie I had few hopes for but he has sunk below those low expectations. Reimold, I felt that last year was largly due to injury and had strong hopes for a rebound to 2009 performance levels. His chances have been limited so far this year but those hopes for a strong rebound are rapidly disappearing. He has clearly disappointed so far this year but he still has a little chance to redeem himself.

Matusz wins by a large margin. Roberts second by a fair amount but still far infront of the rest of the pack(a very large pack).

Lol tied for 14th amongst all catchers in HRs and 21st in OPS. I couldn't even believe that. Yea he's awesome. What a freaking disappointing bust.

Hyperbole to incite a reaction is fun!

(Though I agree that Wieters has been very dissappointing at this point, and would be 2nd on my list. A distant 2nd, but 2nd none-the-less.)

How do we know Wieter's calls a good game?

One of the most over-exaggerated pieces of nonsense ever imo. Show me a catcher with a good/decent arm, who doesn't allow pass balls and who can frame a pitch, and I'll show you a good catcher.

Wow, I'm surprised the Matusz vote was THIS high. I agreed... Dang. Well, when you pin all your hopes on growing the arms, and they keep rotting on the vine... tends to get a little disappointing. Seems like we're sowing our "arm seeds" in salted earth.

Yea, I love how Fox was directly blamed for some poor outings and yet Wieters is applauded for calling a good game..even though the Orioles are the worst staff in the AL.

RBI's tied for 13th

Seriously, how can anybody sit there with a straight face and defend this, particularly the one's in bold? We didn't make Wieters the highest paid draft pick in Orioles history and place our entire rebuilding effort on his shoulders for him to put numbers like this up. That is disgusting. Seriously, how can anybody be alright with this?

Seriously, how can anybody sit there with a straight face and defend this, particularly the one's in bold? We didn't make Wieters the highest paid draft pick in Orioles history and place our entire rebuilding effort on his shoulders for him to put numbers like this up. That is disgusting. Seriously, how can anybody be alright with this?

The only ones with any real importance are the last three..........which actually boils down to the last one. That is pretty horrible.

All of the above. Matusz has been injured and terrible and about as far from what we'd hoped as possible. Wieters has continued to be the next Ron Hassey when we wanted and needed him to be at least Lance Parrish. Lee and Vlad were disasters. Roberts was both disappointing and infuriating. The young pitchers have shown only glimmers of hope that an O's fan could recognize. The pen was and continues to be ridiculous. The lack of depth in the system is crushing. Nick failed to bounce back from a down 2010. Neither Pie nor Reimold nor Scott did anything this year to suggest they're part of any future O's team. Reynolds' defense was far worse than expected.

Once again it's like 28 crushing disappointments offset only slightly by a handful of moderately positive developments.

All of the above. Matusz has been injured and terrible and about as far from what we'd hoped as possible. Wieters has continued to be the next Ron Hassey when we wanted and needed him to be at least Lance Parrish. Lee and Vlad were disasters. Roberts was both disappointing and infuriating. The young pitchers have shown only glimmers of hope that an O's fan could recognize. The pen was and continues to be ridiculous. The lack of depth in the system is crushing. Nick failed to bounce back from a down 2010. Neither Pie nor Reimold nor Scott did anything this year to suggest they're part of any future O's team. Reynolds' defense was far worse than expected.

Once again it's like 28 crushing disappointments offset only slightly by a handful of moderately positive developments.

No reason to insult Ron Hassey.