Skeletor

Connolly: Male body found near Mike Flanagan's home (Update: WBAL has confirmed it's Mike Flanagan)

Life is all about perspective....The next time I want to rant about an error or a swing and miss....I hope I can reflect on this moment.... It is just a game gentleman.....Godspeed Flanny.

• Upvote 1

Flanny will be missed, no doubt. The post-game interview with Palmer is one of the most emotional/professional things i've ever seen. I've never seen someone so destroyed remain on tv. It's a testament to Flanny that a good friend would tough it out and say what he could. Truly one of the more startling moments i've witnessed in a while.

RIP 46

I find it hard to believe that Flanny would do this because the Orioles have been playing horrible baseball for decades. There had to be something going on.

It's easy to write it off, but think about it. I'm 28, and I have basically no memory of seeing him pitch. Since I know I was watching and attending games as late as 1991, I'm sure I did but I simply do not remember. Just to make the numbers easy, how many people under-30 are there who either have none or only the barest of memories of his active career? We only know him for what he did after his career, most notably in the front office as the most-visible member of two management pairings that were generally unsuccessful.

And that doesn't include those older people who do remember him pitching, but still might express their disapproval for the period he was in charge.

I think if you break that down, it's a lot of people; many of whom wouldn't post here or call in to the radio but may see him around the part or around the city.

Especially with the way things ended with him spending a significant period without an obvious position in the organization while nominally in the chain of command somewhere, I could easily see how someone could feel that way even before adding in anything else that can only be speculated on (and poorly) at this time.

I read this board often, but very rarely post. I am very saddened to hear of Mike Flanagan's death. I was that strange guy from Mississippi who picked a team that was so far from my home for my favorite. Palmer, Flanagan, Scotty Macgregor, I remember those good years when the team was great. R.I.P. Flanny, you are truly missed.

• Upvote 1

I've always thought Flanny was a great color guy. He brought the dry humor and was very informative. It was my taste and I loved it. It's hard for me to believe there were two better color men than Flanny and Palmer. I swear there were times where I would continue to watch games only because they were in the booth.

I agree. I thought he did a great job and he seemed like a great guy.

This is obviously extremely disheartening news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Flanny made me wish sometimes that I was a lefty so I could emulate his wind up. Easily one of the best arms and people this organization has had. Thoughts and prayers with him and his.

• Upvote 1

Numb. I just feel numb. Seems surreal.

Please please I hope he didnt do this because of the his feelings about the Orioles.

What a f...ing disaster for us. What a tragedy.

Flanny made me wish sometimes that I was a lefty so I could emulate his wind up. Easily one of the best arms and people this organization has had. Thoughts and prayers with him and his.

I am a lefty and I threw 3/4 in little league so I could throw a slider like Flanny. Sigh...

I had fallen asleep during the game and just woke up about a half hour ago. I was about to go back to bed when I saw the scroll on MASN and couldn't believe it. I got online and felt like like I'd been hit by a train.

Wow. Flanagan was one of the few Orioles I had actually met, at an O's fanfest when I was little. I never really knew what he meant to the O's until I got older.

Sad sad day. RIP Flanny. I miss you already.

I got home from work and finally sat down about 11:20. Turned on the computer and MASN to see if maybe we went to extra innings. I saw the very end of the MASN broadcast... Amber Demper and Tom with their final thoughts.

Came straight here and read all 48 pages (now). Just devastating news. Thread reads like a timeline, like you all saw in real time. What can be said? Probably the saddest night in Orioles history. A body is found, apparently it's Flanagan, might be suicide, might be because of his perception of the fan's perception of him. Words fail me. Shakespearean tragedy. Romeo and Juliet. If you could just go back and tell him what he meant to all of us...

I never said much bad about Flanny. Even when he was lame duck GM, just the very rare running for coffee joke. I'm not saying that to say I'm better than anyone, just that I always loved Flanny. He and Palmer were the (and Brooks back in the day) were the best color men we ever had. Brooks because he was Brooks. Palmer because he was so smart, and remembered "that August 12th 1973 game against Milwaukee" and because he was such a zen pitcher.

But I always identified with Flanny. That dry humor is my favorite! He cracked me up MANY times every night. Moreso tho because there was as much substance behind it as Palmer. For all his great playing career, the pitching coach stints, the GM portion, I'm going to miss his wit and wisdom on the broadcasts more than anything.

What I have realized tonight... I've said some terrible things on here about Dempsey in the past. While based on my best perception of the facts, it doesn't mean I have any great insight on a man I have never met. I only saw the last 2 minute segment on the broadcast, but when Amber asked him for his final thoughts... and he soldiered thru as best he could, choking back tears,

Rick, I'm sorry for the things I've said. You are truly part of the Orioles family. From WAY back in the day, to this very sad day, and on into the future.

• Upvote 2

BTW, I'm not supposed to wear any logo shirts at my new job. No logos, no wild colors. Black or dark navy. If any writing it better be Army, or Letterkenny, or something like that. "We're just contractors... we try harder..."

I'm wearing my orange tee with the big cartoon bird on the front tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Such a sad, sad night...I think even my fingers are weeping as I type. No words can describe how I am really feeling tonight. RIP Flanny.

Just speechless...watching his broadcasts, one would never know what he was feeling inside. I know with depression, you have your good days and your bad. And there are periods where I'm sure one's depression makes everything so debilitating, and the brain keeps sending streams of negativity without ever allowing a positive thought to break through.

We'll never know what triggered Flanagan's depression in this instance, but I find it so hard to believe and comprehend how these thoughts were so powerful to drive him to this outcome, if what is being reported is true. Incredibly sad, may he RIP, and my prayers to his family who must be absolutely devastated. It's tragic.