Skeletor

Connolly: Male body found near Mike Flanagan's home (Update: WBAL has confirmed it's Mike Flanagan)

Just awful. I'm not even going to try to write something meaningful here. He was just one of the good guys from when I was a kid. I'll always remember him pitching with that big leg brace in '83 or '84? Had that wonderful, dry sense of humor on TV.

When I was writing for the Hangout his wife emailed me once. Said Mike wouldn't mind talking to me. I didn't know if the email was for real, and who the heck was I, just some guy writing for a web page, and I didn't follow up. I really wish I had.

I desperately hope he didn't make such a choice because of fan perceptions of his GM years. That makes me feel awful, and I have to think there was something more going on.

I'll wear my Os tie to work today in his honor. Wish I could do so much more.

• Upvote 1

Depression is horrible.

The feelings of dread, the internalization of failure, the distancing from your own best personality and from those you love...

It's soul crushing and wretched.

• Upvote 2

Oh my God! I was out with family last night and didn't find out until I read the paper this morning. I kept reading and re-reading because it just couldn't be true. I had to be missing something.

I'm heartbroken for his family and friends. My thoughts and prayers go out to them. Just so awful. Horrible, horrible news.

When Memorial Stadium closed down in 1991, after the game, all the players went to the positions at which they had played for the Orioles. There were two dozen pitchers on the mound when former Orioles catcher Rick Dempsey got behind the plate and put down a sign. Dempsey was terrific defensively, and one of the game's best throwers, but he wasn't a particularly good game-caller. "All 25 pitchers shook him off,'' said Flanagan.

This is astonishingly hilarious.

There are just countless stories like this.

Kurkijian was just on Mike and Mike. Very broken up about this. Said Flanny was his favorite player ever.
Just to expand on this.

Timmy K talked about how Baltimore is different than most towns. He(paraphrasing here) talked about how the fans embrace their own and make them part of the community.

He is right..I have always said that.

You want a reason why a player would come here? That's it. they may not want to come to a losing organization but the way the players are treated in this town is second to none.

I think this thread is an example of that.

So hard to digest.

I can't recall writing anything negative about Mike since he left the front office. But I have written some absolutely scathing posts about Peter Angelos....as recently as yesterday. I think it's pretty easy on a message board to forget that the person on the receiving end of that criticism is very much a real person.

I'll celebrate Mike's legacy and all the great memories he made for my childhood. He was family and a very meaningful part of my favorite era of sports in Baltimore.

What I will take from his passing, is a greater understanding that the people we criticize here for so many difficult years of losing, care extremely deeply about it. They all feel the weight of it....even more than we do. The passion for the Orioles and the caring about our legacy and our future is enormous in the Oriole family. But there is nothing more important in life than living every minute that we are afforded, and cherishing it with the people we love.

We can criticize what people do and don't do with transactions and on-field performance, but we should lose sight that these people care very deeply, and are very much human.

I feel a little sick.

• Upvote 2

I hope we get to hear from guys like Boddicker, Jim Beattie and many other former teammates.

Remember, Joe Jordan was brought in by Flanny, so I have to think this is very difficult for him as well.

Just to expand on this.

Timmy K talked about how Baltimore is different than most towns. He(paraphrasing here) talked about how the fans embrace their own and make them part of the community.

He is right..I have always said that.

You want a reason why a player would come here? That's it. they may not want to come to a losing organization but the way the players are treated in this town is second to none.

I think this thread is an example of that.

This is so true. Despite our organizational failures we're the greatest baseball town in America. I firmly believe that.