Skeletor

Connolly: Male body found near Mike Flanagan's home (Update: WBAL has confirmed it's Mike Flanagan)

Kurkijian was just on Mike and Mike. Very broken up about this. Said Flanny was his favorite player ever.
Just to expand on this.

Timmy K talked about how Baltimore is different than most towns. He(paraphrasing here) talked about how the fans embrace their own and make them part of the community.

He is right..I have always said that.

You want a reason why a player would come here? That's it. they may not want to come to a losing organization but the way the players are treated in this town is second to none.

I think this thread is an example of that.

So hard to digest.

I can't recall writing anything negative about Mike since he left the front office. But I have written some absolutely scathing posts about Peter Angelos....as recently as yesterday. I think it's pretty easy on a message board to forget that the person on the receiving end of that criticism is very much a real person.

I'll celebrate Mike's legacy and all the great memories he made for my childhood. He was family and a very meaningful part of my favorite era of sports in Baltimore.

What I will take from his passing, is a greater understanding that the people we criticize here for so many difficult years of losing, care extremely deeply about it. They all feel the weight of it....even more than we do. The passion for the Orioles and the caring about our legacy and our future is enormous in the Oriole family. But there is nothing more important in life than living every minute that we are afforded, and cherishing it with the people we love.

We can criticize what people do and don't do with transactions and on-field performance, but we should lose sight that these people care very deeply, and are very much human.

I feel a little sick.

• Upvote 2

I hope we get to hear from guys like Boddicker, Jim Beattie and many other former teammates.

Remember, Joe Jordan was brought in by Flanny, so I have to think this is very difficult for him as well.

Just to expand on this.

Timmy K talked about how Baltimore is different than most towns. He(paraphrasing here) talked about how the fans embrace their own and make them part of the community.

He is right..I have always said that.

You want a reason why a player would come here? That's it. they may not want to come to a losing organization but the way the players are treated in this town is second to none.

I think this thread is an example of that.

This is so true. Despite our organizational failures we're the greatest baseball town in America. I firmly believe that.

We were lucky.

We were lucky. I was able to see him pitch during 1982 until he retired. It was sad to see him get traded for Jose Mesa and Oswaldo Peraza in 1987. He was my favorite pitcher during that era. RIP, Mike.

I'm wearing my Orioles stuff to the Ravens game tonite.

I bet the Ravens have a moment of silence for him. The Ravens are all class. That said, Angelos' statement was genuine and heartfelt as well. Say what you want about Peter, but Flanny truly seemed to be a close friend to him and I'm sure he is very saddened by this.

"I could never play in New York," Flanagan replied. "The first time I came into a game there, I got into the bullpen car and they told me to lock the doors."

Pretty funny.

I bet the Ravens have a moment of silence for him. The Ravens are all class. That said, Angelos' statement was genuine and heartfelt as well. Say what you want about Peter, but Flanny truly seemed to be a close friend to him and I'm sure he is very saddened by this.

Peter is a lot of things, but an awful human being he is not. His philanthropy is well documented.

Put a black patch on the O's jersey for the rest of this season and all of 2012 and retire his number. I would commend Angelos for those actions.

Peter is a lot of things, but an awful human being he is not. His philanthropy is well documented.

Put a black patch on the O's jersey for the rest of this season and all of 2012 and retire his number. I would commend Angelos for those actions.

I am as big a Angelos critic as anyone (from a baseball management perspective) but there is no doubt in my mind that this loss has and will affect him deeply. Angelos is loyal (to a fault sometimes) and I have always felt that Flanagan was special to him. There is also no doubt that Angelos will honor him well.

This whole thing is just terrible. I hate that it appears Flanny clearly didn't understand how much we thought of him. Just doesn't make any sense.

I hope we get to hear from guys like Boddicker, Jim Beattie and many other former teammates.

Remember, Joe Jordan was brought in by Flanny, so I have to think this is very difficult for him as well.

Singy and McGregor were on the radio this morning driving in. I was crying the whole way into work. Singy was really broken up. Watching Palmer and Dempsey last night was just heartbreaking! McGregor was talking about how when they played, they all bought townhomes in Cockeysville and they weren't just teammates, they were friends, neighbors. They stayed here all year and were members of the Community. Hell, Singy still lives here. He said he passes Flanny's house on his way home. Scotty said when they get together now, their kids tell stories of all the crazy stuff that happened growing up. Imagine that...not only is your father a Major Leaguer, but all of the other fathers on the block are his teammates! That's just awesome.

I don't want to derail what has become a beautiful tribute thread, and I don't want to read too much into his likely very complicated mental state, but I really can't wait for the day that this organization has a direction that brings us together, rather than tears us apart. Flanny saddens me tremendously, but so does our relationship with Brooks, our lack of vocal support for kids like Hobgood and even Rowell, and watching guys like Mussina leave.

We need to be a family again; in it together; dedicated and driven to overcome the AL East.

I don't want to derail what has become a beautiful tribute thread, and I don't want to read too much into his likely very complicated mental state, but I really can't wait for the day that this organization has a direction that brings us together, rather than tears us apart. Flanny saddens me tremendously, but so does our relationship with Brooks, our lack of vocal support for kids like Hobgood and even Rowell, and watching guys like Mussina leave.

We need to be a family again; in it together; dedicated and driven to overcome the AL East.

If anything today proves we are a a family.