Skeletor

Connolly: Male body found near Mike Flanagan's home (Update: WBAL has confirmed it's Mike Flanagan)

Still broken up about this. Like Scott said earlier, you could identify with him. Never seemed arrogant or greedy for the spotlight. Simply bled orange and black and tried to lighten the mood along the way.

To me Palmer said it best. "Flanny was one of us."

I feel there is a lot more that has not been said. Flanny was not a hermit. He was among people that care about him every day. There is something more here.

I don't believe that his perception of what the community thought of him drove him to do this. If he expressed that kind of thought once it would have been dispelled by so many people close to him. One man can only control so much.

Whatever happened, there is a lot more to it.

We love you Flanny. You have been part of us for a long, long time. We will miss you. RIP Mike.

• Upvote 1

We love you Flanny. You have been part of us for a long, long time. We will miss you. RIP Mike.

Remember when Flanny interviewed for the Boston GM position? I knew he was from New Hampshire and obviously he didn't spend his entire career with us, but it just seemed...wrong. Not on his part of course; you can't blame a guy looking for an opportunity for taking an interview. But the idea of it seemed absurd, like the rumors a few years ago about Cal working for the Nationals.

Flanny was that much of an Oriole.

I feel there is a lot more that has not been said. Flanny was not a hermit. He was among people that care about him every day. There is something more here.

I don't believe that his perception of what the community thought of him drove him to do this. If he expressed that kind of thought once it would have been dispelled by so many people close to him. One man can only control so much.

Whatever happened, there is a lot more to it.

Seconded.

No suicide note. Glad WBAL ASSUMES he committed suicide because of the struggles of the Orioles. What irresponsible journalism.

That is stunning and incredibly irresponsible. I am not saying that that feeling did not exist, but to make such assumptions that this is why he would do what he apparently did is shameful. That is something that I would expect (no offense to anyone here) on a message board, not in what is supposed to be a respected publication.

No suicide note. Glad WBAL ASSUMES he committed suicide because of the struggles of the Orioles. What irresponsible journalism.

It was a quote from Gerry Sandusky, they never stated it as fact. There are other things at play in his death, I'm sure, but I would doubt Sandusky would speculate so widely without having had some time to be around Flanny and know what he was thinking. I have no doubt Flanny thought this way; a lot of people did not consider him to be a great GM and a lot of the moves he and JD made were terrible. Doesn't mean he wasn't a great guy, a great pitcher, a true blooded Oriole, he just wasnt the right guy for the GM position. If he was so broken up about his tenure as GM to commit suicide, there's something else wrong that he should have sought help for much earlier, because that is an irrational decision to make.

It was a quote from Gerry Sandusky, they never stated it as fact. There are other things at play in his death, I'm sure, but I would doubt Sandusky would speculate so widely without having had some time to be around Flanny and know what he was thinking. I have no doubt Flanny thought this way; a lot of people did not consider him to be a great GM and a lot of the moves he and JD made were terrible. Doesn't mean he wasn't a great guy, a great pitcher, a true blooded Oriole, he just wasnt the right guy for the GM position. If he was so broken up about his tenure as GM to commit suicide, there's something else wrong that he should have sought help for much earlier, because that is an irrational decision to make.
There is no doubt he felt that way but to make it seem like it was the reason for committing suicide is irresponsible without having legit proof.

Kurkjian alluded to the same things Sandusky did. That said, there is zero chance this was the sole reason for him doing what he did IMO.

It was a quote from Gerry Sandusky, they never stated it as fact. There are other things at play in his death, I'm sure, but I would doubt Sandusky would speculate so widely without having had some time to be around Flanny and know what he was thinking.

You are right, it was just the way that the quote was presented in the story that bothered me a little. Either way, it is a tragic story for the Orioles family and more importantly, Mike's family and friends. I just still feel kind of numb and saddened by the whole thing. It hit me like a ton of bricks last night, and I feel the same way this morning as I did last night. I never met Flanny, but he seemed like a guy that we could all relate to and seemed very genuine. There are not a lot of guys like him around anymore and he will be missed.

I made the mistake of reading the comments on some of the stories that are out there and while many are respectful, there are still the people that try to be comedians when now is clearly not the time. It is disgusting and disgraceful.

Kurkjian alluded to the same things Sandusky did. That said, there is zero chance this was the sole reason for him doing what he did IMO.

Gotta agree.

Chances are we will never know . . . . . . . .

Some great excerpts from that Kurkijan's article, a GREAT read, so please read it:

Asked where that control came from, Flanagan said that when he was a teenager his 72-year-old grandfather would catch him in the backyard of their home in Manchester, N.H. "If I threw too far inside or too far outside, he couldn't reach it," he said. "And if he missed it, he would have to chase it. So, I had to learn how to hit the target."
Flanagan always had a story. The Orioles made it to the World Series in 1979. "I got on base in that series," he said. "Jimmy Frey [the Orioles first-base coach] told me when I got to first, 'OK, keep your left foot on the bag, and get as big a lead as you can with your right foot.'" The Orioles were a little late running out on the field for one of those World Series games. "People think we were having some team meeting before the game,'' Flanagan said. "But we were really all in the clubhouse waiting for [famed TV judge Joseph] Wapner to deliver his verdict."
In 1980, as another Orioles pitcher, Steve Stone, was on his way to winning the Cy Young, Flanagan determined the different stages of Cy: He was the reigning Cy Young. "[Jim] Palmer is Cy Old," he said. "Stone is Cy Present and Storm [Davis] is Cy Future. When you get hurt, you become Cy-bex. When you're done, you become Cy-onara."

Flanagan was great with names. He called Jose Canseco (back when he could mash) "Jose Don't Make A Mistake-o." He called Ruben Sierra, back when he could mash, "Ruben Scare-ya." He called former teammate Don Stanhouse, who was bizarre, "Stan The Man Unusual."

He had other memorable quips. On Opening Day 1986, the Oriole Bird fell off the top of the dugout during the game, and had to be helped off the field. As Flanagan left the clubhouse after the game, he said, "I told him to take two worms and call me in the morning."

That same year, teammate Mike Boddicker threw a really good game one night in Toronto, and his fastball was clocked at 87 mph. "That's 82 Canadian," Flanagan said, and kept on walking.

There never has been a right guy for O's GM. Flanny is among some good company along with Gillick, Wren, AM and Duque, all men who failed to get through the thick skull of a certain owner.

More from Kurkijan:

I covered a game in 1991 in which Orioles DH/first baseman Sam Horn struck out six times consecutively, the first non-pitcher in AL history to do that. After the game, I went to Flanagan. "Three strikeouts is a hat trick," he said, "four is a sombrero, five is a golden sombrero and from now on, six will be known as a Horn. Seven will be a Horn-A-Plenty."
I will remember Flanagan playing basketball. Few people shot a basketball better than he did. In July 1987, I casually asked him what he did during the All-Star break. After much prodding from me, he told me that he shot some free throws with his nephew, and made 105 in a row. So, I wrote that in The Baltimore Sun the next day. The team was on the road, and Flanagan approached me the next day. "My wife told me that you put that in the paper today," Flanagan said. "I wanted to clarify something. I didn't miss the 106th free throw, my nephew got tired of feeding me, so he quit."
But my favorite Flanagan story came in Toronto in 1987. He was driving to Exhibition Stadium with former teammate Mike Boddicker in a Blue Jays rental car, one with the Blue Jays' insignia splattered all over it. New players to the team drove these rentals until their own cars arrived. Flanagan spotted me as I was walking to the ballpark, lugging my computer and oversized bag of books. He gave me a ride.

"This was Phil Niekro's car," Flanagan said of the ancient pitcher who had just been released.

"How do you know it was his car?" I asked.

"I found his teeth in the glove compartment," he said.

No one made me laugh like Mike Flanagan. Tonight, he made me cry.

• Upvote 1

On Opening Day 1986, the Oriole Bird fell off the top of the dugout during the game, and had to be helped off the field. As Flanagan left the clubhouse after the game, he said, "I told him to take two worms and call me in the morning."

Man, that is priceless. His humor is what I will miss the most.