Skeletor

Connolly: Male body found near Mike Flanagan's home (Update: WBAL has confirmed it's Mike Flanagan)

Some great excerpts from that Kurkijan's article, a GREAT read, so please read it:

These stories/quotes are outstanding. Thanks for sharing. Tim k is terrific.

and retire his number

Disagree. You don't retire someone's number because of their manner of death. Flanny had a wonderful career and achieved a tremendous amount, but he wasn't a HoFer and his # shouldn't be retired.

I'm sure that his number won't be retired, but I have a feeling that the number-46 jersey (after Guthrie is finished wearing it) will go on the same pile with Senior's and Elrod's unis.

It took me a while to get through these 52 pages this morning. I'm pretty emotional at the thought of what has happened. I've been fighting tears (moderately successful) while sitting at my desk. I can't even manage to watch the MASN broadcast, at least yet.

My heart goes out to his family and those that knew him best.

As others mentioned, the reaction from many others makes me proud to be an Oriole fan.

RIP #46

I'm sure that his number won't be retired, but I have a feeling that the number-46 jersey (after Guthrie is finished wearing it) will go on the same pile with Senior's and Elrod's unis.

Which I think it did, by and large, after he retired from the O's in 1992. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kerry Lightenberg the first Oriole to wear #46 since Flanagan in 2003?

I can't even manage to watch the MASN broadcast, at least yet.

I have not watched it yet either. I watched the beginning of the game and went to the gym. When I got out of the shower, I had a text from my dad telling me the news. When I flipped on the TV, I caught the last few minutes of the post game show, and it was pretty heartbreaking stuff. I have the rest on my DVR and I will watch it when I get home from work, but I know it is going to be tough to see and I am probably going to need a few tissues.

Which I think it did, by and large, after he retired from the O's in 1992. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kerry Lightenberg the first Oriole to wear #46 since Flanagan in 2003?

There were a few others before Lightenberg:

Wrapping up the forty-sixes, you'll find pitcher Don Ferrarese (1955-1956); veteran reliever Ernie Johnson (1959); outfielder Butch Davis (1989); relievers Jay Aldrich (1990) and Dorn Taylor (1990); second-generation Orioles pitcher John P. O'Donoghue (1993); reliever Jimmy Myers (1996); and former Braves closer Kerry Ligtenberg (2003), who pitched well as an eighth-inning guy in Baltimore.

http://www.oriolesnumbers.com/forties.html

Self inflicted gunshot wound to the face, making identification difficult

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/

Wow.

Sounds like Sandusky is sticking to his claims that this was over the perceived opinion of Flanagan's role in the O's struggles. I wonder if there was a specific incident that triggered this or if it was just a general feeling Flanagan had. I can't imagine how he'd feel that way with most of the Orioles fanbase blaming Angelos for the Orioles woes.

Maybe my favorite Flanny story, taken from the Kurkijan article, from the several stories written thus far:

When Memorial Stadium closed down in 1991, after the game, all the players went to the positions at which they had played for the Orioles. There were two dozen pitchers on the mound when former Orioles catcher Rick Dempsey got behind the plate and put down a sign. Dempsey was terrific defensively, and one of the game's best throwers, but he wasn't a particularly good game-caller. "All 25 pitchers shook him off,'' said Flanagan.

I loved Flanny and I'm sad that he's gone. I'll miss his gentle disposition and dry sense of humor.

• Upvote 1

Wow.

Sounds like Sandusky is sticking to his claims that this was over the perceived opinion of Flanagan's role in the O's struggles. I wonder if there was a specific incident that triggered this or if it was just a general feeling Flanagan had. I can't imagine how he'd feel that way with most of the Orioles fanbase blaming Angelos for the Orioles woes.

Holden Kushner states unequivically otherwise