Skeletor

Connolly: Male body found near Mike Flanagan's home (Update: WBAL has confirmed it's Mike Flanagan)

Not fully on topic but I had not heard this before:

I don't recall anyone criticizing those picks. Was it a source of contention with ownership or the league? I hate to think that maybe the best move he made as GM was the last straw in his losing the position.

I believe that Bigbird alluded to something along these lines that PA was not a fan of the Wieters and Arrieta selections and the cozying up with Boras leading up to those selections.

Not to be rude, but does it seem kind of odd that he would have financial issues?

I am not sure Flanny made the type of money you think he did. From his playing days, he wasn't in an era where all the players made millions per year. Not to mention, all type of people can have financial trouble, sometimes it doesn't matter the income level. It can happen to anyone.

RIP Flanny. Very tough time for the Orioles community.

Not to be rude, but does it seem kind of odd that he would have financial issues?

I really don't mean to speculate and I obviously know nothing about the situation but it's possible for people with high paying jobs to find themselves in financial trouble. Gambling, bad investments, could be anything. Or maybe it's not a financial thing at all.

A lot of people have lost money due to stocks going down, property dropping, etc...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/08/25/flanagan.suicide.ap/index.html

The Maryland medical examiner says Flanagan died Wednesday of a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head.

The 59-year-old pitcher's body was found about 250 feet behind his home. An investigation showed he was home alone and that Flanagan was upset about financial issues. He left no note.

Police say Flanagan's wife last spoke to her husband about 1 a.m. Wednesday. She told police he sounded upset and promised he would talk to her later.

Edited by weams

Fell asleep early last night and woke up to hear this news and my only thoughts are for his family, friends and other people who were a part of his life. I pray they find a way to deal with the pain that they are going through. Having had someone close to me commit suicide, I can tell you that its very different than just losing someone in other ways. Its a long hard process to get over and my prayers are with those people today.

Everything else is secondary folks. A man is dead. He was someones husband, a father and friend. Its a tragedy beyond comprehension for them. Its a sad sad day

Everything else is secondary folks. A man is dead. He was someones husband, a father and friend. Its a tragedy beyond comprehension for them. Its a sad sad day

Well said. I only wish he could have found the help he desperately needed before making this final decision. Again, thoughts and prayers to his wife, daughters and friends.

The dumb reporter on WTOP just said Flanagans death was ruled a Homicide. I got all excited and then they had to correct the reporter a minute later and stated he meant suicide. How can a reporter make a gaffe like that?

The dumb reporter on WTOP just said Flanagans death was ruled a Homicide. I got all excited and then they had to correct him a minute later and say he meant to say Suicide. How can a reporter make a gaffe like that?

Reporters all across America (and the world) were saying that Obama was killed when they meant Osama bin Laden.