Skeletor

Connolly: Male body found near Mike Flanagan's home (Update: WBAL has confirmed it's Mike Flanagan)

Not sure where to put this, but as was expected the Nationals MASN broadcast is doing nothing but talking about Flanny and they are going to hold a moment of silence at the start of the game.

I am very glad the Yankees had the class to do this but I am a bit surprised that the Twins did not do so as well, given that they were the team we were playing.

Not sure where to put this, but as was expected the Nationals MASN broadcast is doing nothing but talking about Flanny and they are going to hold a moment of silence at the start of the game.

I am very glad the Yankees had the class to do this but I am a bit surprised that the Twins did not do so as well, given that they were the team we were playing.

I thought someone tweeted that the Twins did do a moment of silence before the game?

I thought someone tweeted that the Twins did do a moment of silence before the game?

I would be glad to hear that. I watched the game from the pre-game on and did not hear anything, and I was watching both broadcasts.

I would be glad to hear that. I watched the game from the pre-game on and did not hear anything, and I was watching both broadcasts.

I just found it in the Game Thread today, page 2. Weams posted the following:

cdwill77casey willett

#Twins held moment of silence for #Orioles Flanny. Complete class. Man it hurts today

• Upvote 1

I just found it in the Game Thread today, page 2. Weams posted the following:

Awesome, thanks for updating me. Not sure how I missed it watching two broadcasts...

• Upvote 1

Here's an excellent article from Ryan Wagner of the MLB Fan Cave:

When you allow a sports figure to become a part of the history of your team, and you allow him to contribute a chapter to its story, he becomes a part of your memory. He becomes as integral a part of your recollection as the people you see and speak to everyday. And while you gain so much from accepting him as part of your team – the memories, the accomplishments, the unbelievable highs and the disheartening lows that you share in – you're also welcoming in the sadness and mourning that will inevitably arrive when he isn't part of the team any longer. But we accept that sadness as part of the deal. We accept it as payment for the years we spent living vicariously through him and the other men who take the mound or step to the plate. But every once in a while, we lose someone who we've grown particularly close to. Someone who achieves a familiarity that we could not have foreseen, but that we are thankful to have experienced.

This is still tough to deal with. We'll never know why Flanny did what he did. It was a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Not meant in any way to be critical, but hopefully if anyone ever feels like ending it all, hopefully Flanny's life and death will be a reminder NOT TO. Life can be harsh and it can be tough. But there is always help.

This is still tough to deal with. We'll never know why Flanny did what he did. It was a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Not meant in any way to be critical, but hopefully if anyone ever feels like ending it all, hopefully Flanny's life and death will be a reminder NOT TO. Life can be harsh and it can be tough. But there is always help.
Not in any way to be critical, but you have no understanding of depression.
  • Upvote 2

Not in any way to be critical, but you have no understanding of depression.

No offense taken. But, I think you missed my point.

BTW, We don't know that depression was the issue. It is assumed but not known. Depression is not always the factor responsible in these situations. To say it is, is an elementary way of looking at it.

Edited by EddieMurrayfan

This is the problem with people who don't understand mental illness. [Not you, to be clear, BT.] They think in abstract terms about "cause" and "effect" in a way that may fit their own simplistic view of the world, but which has no real grounding in reality.

It is entirely possible that Flanagan had displayed signs of depression since leaving the front office, though that is no kind of evidence that his departure caused his depression - lasting depression is rarely the result of an event, and far more often both pre- and post-dates the "markers" that folks cite after-the-fact. It's also possible that Flanagan was having trouble adjusting to the change in environment - many people who struggle with depression self-medicate through high-stress, high-performance activities, and struggle to adapt when that activity is removed. It's also possible that Flanagan's depression caused him to accentuate the negative he felt about his departure and played into the kind of spiraling self-esteem that goes hand-in-hand with major depressive episodes. But this is less likely the post-GM situation affecting Flanagan as much as it is the way major depressive order radically alters our ability to maintain balance, see clearly, and find value in the things that have always given us pleasure. One of the major symptoms of depressive disorder is anhedonia - the inability to feel pleasure in the things that have traditionally given pleasure. In this case, it sounds like Flanagan's psychological issues may have created a rift between he and one of the things he had always depended on for buoyancy, the Orioles. And all of that is well-and-good. But it is a far cry for Sandusky's report, which is sensationalistic and implicitly points a finger at the Baltimore public. Flanagan was a smart, smart man - he was well-aware that a life in the spotlight comes with its downside.

But assigning causal relationships is more about tidy narratives - which benefit the narrator or the audience, but offer little insight into the real mechanism of depression. I thought last night, and continue to think, that Sandusky was (i) irresponsible in his report; and (ii) clearly underqualified to be discussing the issue. I may be proven wrong, but so far everything I read supports this take.

Very well said Jim. I agree that Sandusky was irresponsible and under-qualified to report what he reported. He's not a psychiatrist and has no idea what Flanagan was thinking. Just because he had multiple sources presumably saying things like, "Well I did notice that Flanny seemed a little depressed after losing the GM job" or "I think he felt like he failed Baltimore", doesn't mean that was a reason.

People always try and revise history when things like this happen. They blow up little things into bigger things, trying to pinpoint a reason. There's nothing wrong with that, we're human and we tend to want answers for the unexplainable. That being said, WBAL should have retracted what they said.

No offense taken. But, I think you missed my point.

We don't know that depression was the issue. It is assumed but not known. Depression is not always the factor responsible in these situations. To say it is, is an elementary way of looking at it.

No, not always. But mental illness or substance abuse contributes to 90%.

Risk factors: depression and other mental disorders, or a substance-abuse disorder (often in combination with other mental disorders). More than 90 percent of people who die by suicide have these risk factors.

http://http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/suicide-in-the-us-statistics-and-prevention/index.shtml#factors