Skeletor

Connolly: Male body found near Mike Flanagan's home (Update: WBAL has confirmed it's Mike Flanagan)

I loved this:

I've been extremely disappointed with some of the reports issued by local sportscasters in the wake of Flanagan's death. Speculation can be a dangerous thing. In a time like this, good taste should prevail. Those closest to Mike know the reasons behind this tragedy. They are the only ones who ever really need to know

BTW, how impressive has ATH been throughout all of this?

I don't know about anyone else but my level of respect for her has gone way up.

I loved this:

BTW, how impressive has ATH been throughout all of this?

I don't know about anyone else but my level of respect for her has gone way up.

Mine has already been pretty high, but yes, she has been extremely impressive.

Mine has already been pretty high, but yes, she has been extremely impressive.
I respected her too but honestly, I didn't realize how impressive she was.

The way she has handled herself during this situation has been really eye opening to me. She isn't going to be around here for too much longer if she is consistently that good. ESPN will be snatching her up, like they did Sage Steele.(who I am not convinced is better ATH).

Very good video of Rosenthal discussing the reports of what caused it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/MLB?vid=4b64ee7e-b172-4415-9a69-adca99968d73

Rosenthal hit the nail on the head with that. Very well said, although our very own Lucky Jim basically said as much a little bit earlier this evening.

Through my own experience living with major depression, what I will say is that very often the thing that will drive someone to want to kill themselves is very complex. Your self-esteem and outlook become so low that almost anything can be a contributing factor, from failures at your job to financial troubles to nightmares to anxiety to trauma from your childhood. It's not an either/or situation. When you are really depressed to the point of being suicidal, EVERYTHING can seem hopelessly poisoned, right at the root. When you are at the point where you feel ready to kill yourself, the darkness surrounding you will seem to encompass everything, home, family, work, absolutely everything. Thus, it is possible that Sandusky was right and that the police were also right, and that there were several other factors involved that led him down this dark path. No one will ever know the full reasons, even if he had written them all down in a note. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if HE didn't know, or could not have explained, all the reasons why he did what he did. At the moment you are ready to kill yourself, you are not usually capable of thinking clearly. Anyway, that's my experience. As so many have said, we can't really know what the issue was here.

• Upvote 3

Through my own experience living with major depression, what I will say is that very often the thing that will drive someone to want to kill themselves is very complex. Your self-esteem and outlook become so low that almost anything can be a contributing factor, from failures at your job to financial troubles to nightmares to anxiety to trauma from your childhood. It's not an either/or situation. When you are really depressed to the point of being suicidal, EVERYTHING can seem hopelessly poisoned, right at the root. When you are at the point where you feel ready to kill yourself, the darkness surrounding you will seem to encompass everything, home, family, work, absolutely everything. Thus, it is possible that Sandusky was right and that the police were also right, and that there were several other factors involved that led him down this dark path. No one will ever know the full reasons, even if he had written them all down in a note. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if HE didn't know, or could not have explained, all the reasons why he did what he did. At the moment you are ready to kill yourself, you are not usually capable of thinking clearly. Anyway, that's my experience. As so many have said, we can't really know what the issue was here.

Thanks for sharing, that took some guts. Only gonna share this to give people who have not been through it some perspective. At 42y.o I have also dealt with major depression off and on since my mid 20's. At one point I did attempt unsuccessfully to end my life. It is only through sheer chance that I am around today to type this. What I can tell you is that at the time that I tried, it (suicide) seemed to be the only answer, it consumed me. Looking at it now, having been treated and having a completely different perspective on life, it seems like it was really really really a stupid thing to consider much less do. That's the rub though, you have to understand that only a person who is suffering from depression/mental health issues gets to the point that suicide becomes an attractive option (besides rare cases). Unless you have been through it you have no idea the torture, sadness, pain, desolation and despair that comes before that final solution. Rationality and ideas like selfishness and the ability to consider others are not concepts that exist at this point in your mind, they have been consumed by the carnage that the disease leaves in its wake.

I am not some babbling idiot. I am a graduate level educated individual who is a successful professional. I guess my only reason for sharing my experience is that I have heard some people use words like "made a choice" "decision" "selfish" when talking about this. Really the only appropriate word is tragic, tragic he did not get the help he needed at a time when it would have saved his life and tragic that we all have lost a person who made the world a better place when he was here.

• Upvote 4

Flanny seemed to have hidden his discontent well, except to Scott McGregor (said he was worried back in 07' when Flanny got replaced by MacPhail) and his wife, who had someone search for him back in June according to a Sun article. Its still hard to believe a day later.

Thanks for sharing - much appreciated.

Thanks for sharing, that took some guts. Only gonna share this to give people who have not been through it some perspective. At 42y.o I have also dealt with major depression off and on since my mid 20's. At one point I did attempt unsuccessfully to end my life. It is only through sheer chance that I am around today to type this. What I can tell you is that at the time that I tried, it (suicide) seemed to be the only answer, it consumed me. Looking at it now, having been treated and having a completely different perspective on life, it seems like it was really really really a stupid thing to consider much less do. That's the rub though, you have to understand that only a person who is suffering from depression/mental health issues gets to the point that suicide becomes an attractive option (besides rare cases). Unless you have been through it you have no idea the torture, sadness, pain, desolation and despair that comes before that final solution. Rationality and ideas like selfishness and the ability to consider others are not concepts that exist at this point in your mind, they have been consumed by the carnage that the disease leaves in its wake.

I am not some babbling idiot. I am a graduate level educated individual who is a successful professional. I guess my only reason for sharing my experience is that I have heard some people use words like "made a choice" "decision" "selfish" when talking about this. Really the only appropriate word is tragic, tragic he did not get the help he needed at a time when it would have saved his life and tragic that we all have lost a person who made the world a better place when he was here.

Thanks for your sharing also.

While posters on other sites have said he took the "easy way out" and was "selfish" it really shows a lack of any understanding. It may seem this way to those left behind, but as you stated, not for the individual who gets to the point of taking his own life. When a person gets to the point of abandoning that God-given desire/instinct to fight and strive to stay alive and is willing to end it all - its an entirely different situation. All normal rational thinking is gone at that point.

Thankfully you are still here. Once again, thanks for your input.

Thanks for your sharing also.

While posters on other sites have said he took the "easy way out" and was "selfish" it really shows a lack of any understanding. It may seem this way to those left behind, but as you stated, not for the individual who gets to the point of taking his own life. When a person gets to the point of abandoning that God-given desire/instinct to fight and strive to stay alive and is willing to end it all - its an entirely different situation. All normal rational thinking is gone at that point.

Thankfully you are still here. Once again, thanks for your input.

Yes, thank you and thanks everyone else for sharing your thoughts.

Flanny seemed to have hidden his discontent well, except to Scott McGregor (said he was worried back in 07' when Flanny got replaced by MacPhail) and his wife, who had someone search for him back in June according to a Sun article. Its still hard to believe a day later.

If we are trying to understand what Mike was going through there are two things that might show clues. 1) the police report from June. (Police said that Alex Flanagan had also called 911 in June, asking officers to check on her husband. From the SUN) and 2) the toxicology report from the autopsy.

Its sounds like there may have been a lot going on in Mike's life that does not relate to baseball. Finances? Relationships? To think that his death is related to his job may not be the case at all. From what we have heard so far, in the broadcast booth and at the Park may have been where he was most comfortable.