Skeletor

Connolly: Male body found near Mike Flanagan's home (Update: WBAL has confirmed it's Mike Flanagan)

Flanagan is probably in heaven's bullpen right now joking around with Cuellar, Dobson, McNally, and Elrod before he starts warming for his start tonight against the Second Level Devils.

He'll have his shortstop behind him, too--he and Belanger overlapped seven years.

I'll never forget that night. Sitting here, reading this thread and wondering if Palmer knew what happened yet. And then, when they came back on the air for the 9th inning you could just tell that they had just gotten the news. It was heartbreaking.

But most of all I'll remember Palmer talking about Flanny right after the game. Dempsey too. But the ever dignified Jim Palmer breaking down while trying to pay tribute to his longtime friend/teammate/colleague on live TV, minutes after he found out the man took his own life, was the worst. When my own brother suddenly passed away I was the one who spoke at his wake. And it was really hard to capture someone's life and talk about who they are and what they meant to you. I had three days to prepare for what I wanted to say, Palmer only had minutes. It was gutwrenching to watch.

In a weird way it made me so proud to be an Orioles fan. And it made me realize how close these guys really are.

RIP Flanny, you are truly missed.

• Upvote 1

I'll remember that night, too. I was laying in bed with my wife, and I remember seeing Palmer, Dempsey and gang talk about him. Just a tear factory that night. I will never forget it.

RIP Flanny. I hope we can get back to our winning ways for you.

I think of Flanny often, not just during baseball season, but all year long. Just trying to make sense of it all. How could a guy who was so loved and with so much success feel like a failure? Then I read a recent Sun interview with his wife. It really made me think. Life can be really fragile. Some people handle the ups and downs better than others. Some are happy-go-lucky. Others spend their entire lives worrying. If I suddenly lost my job (like many in these economic times) and couldn't replace the income, how would I handle it? After reading the article my wife pointed out to me that I am a lot like Flanny. I always down play my success and fear I'm never going to be good enough to start new things (a business, job change, whatever...) Thinking of Flanny reminds me that I am successful and only the fear in my mind is holding me back. Life is too short to spend it in fear and worry.

One of the most disappointing aspects to all of this is the timing of his death. I often wonder if he would had a role in a Duquette front office. I mean both being from New England and all. I know Mike was welcomed by Buck. I think he would have been appreciated and a good resource by Dan as well. Could have been a turning point. Damn shame.

I apologize if anyone has pointed this out already, but two interesting coincidences on both 8/24/11 and 8/24/12. As most know, last year Guthrie #46 - Flanny's old # - pitched a gem the day Flanny died. Today, on the first anniversary the Birds are playing the Blue Jays, the only other team Flanny played for.

I apologize if anyone has pointed this out already, but two interesting coincidences on both 8/24/11 and 8/24/12. As most know, last year Guthrie #46 - Flanny's old # - pitched a gem the day Flanny died. Today, on the first anniversary the Birds are playing the Blue Jays, the only other team Flanny played for.

Interesting that the final score tonight was 4-6.

Are there any plans for a Flanny statue next to Eddie, Brooks, etc?

I wouldn't think so. The one's being placed in the outfield are the Orioles who have been inducted to the Hall of Fame as Orioles (both Robinson's, Weaver, Palmer, Murray, and Cal). It's only been advertised as such, and I haven't heard of any other plans to add anyone else. Not to argue in any way Flanny wasn't/isn't deserving of such an honor, just saying what those statues are representing. Perhaps there might be some permanent honor to Flanny, be it at the stadium or organizationally, that could be revealed at some point down the road.