UpstateNYfan

Girardi is hot!

C'mon Joe, put yourself in Buck's shoes. Oh wait, you DID have that opportunity but you didn't want to be the manager of the Orioles.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I make a gajillion dollars to play baseball. I have to work an extra day out of the year. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I'm a Yankee...I'm entitled dammit!!!

Really hoping for a small asteroid to take out the Yankees clubhouse. Crossing fingers, all!

I would hate to damage OPACY, why not wait until they're playing Boston and kill two birds (no not birds because Orioles are birds), kill two teams with one 'roid?

I would hate to damage OPACY, why not wait until they're playing Boston and kill two birds (no not birds because Orioles are birds), kill two teams with one 'roid?

.... I see what you did there

Good call!

Sitting at the game tonight, I couldn't help but marvel at the sense of entitlement most of the Yankee fans had. When you read quotes like these from Giradi and Granderson, it all make sense. When the Yankees' manager and players expect other teams to bend over backwards for them, then its no wonder that their fans feel the same way. It's ridiculous.

I also love that the ESPN article on the postponement points to attendance as the reason for the decision to play on September 8th. With the amount of Yankee fans in town today, I really doubt that the O's are going to draw significantly more for a ONE game home stand on September 8th than they would have for an afternoon game today. Acting like this was purely an attendance move is just false. The Yankees and ESPN also fail to mention that we would be coming home from NY for one game on 9/8 before leaving for Toronto, so its not like the O's really make out in this scenario in terms of ease of travel. It is just a bunch of whining from guys who always expect to get their way.

Yeah, the sense of entitlement by Boston and New York, the franchises themselves and their fans is what makes me alsolutely despise them. It's not that they spends tons and tons more money than everyone else but that they want to play by their own set of rules as well. If you don't bow to them it's nothing but *****ing and moaning.

I kind of the understand his point from a pure common sense point of view...Just schedule it for today since you know Saturday and Sunday are likely out.

But that doesn't mean logistically it was going to work due the Orioles road trip and stuff like that.

Plus, who cares? F the Yankees.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• While Lamar did play better than RG3, keep in mind the league context.  He had a 121 Rating+ (basically OPS+ for passer rating, adjusted for that season's averages. Over 100 is good, less is bad.)  Lamar's 2019 was 128.  So Lamar is still better, but that was RG3 as a rookie.  Who knows how he would have done if he didn't get hurt/if he was drafted by an org not owned by Dan Snyder.   That said, I don't think it's reasonable to use RG3's injury problems as a reason not to sign Lamar long term.  I think that they were specific to RG3 and the team he played for. (I think the Football Team horribly mismanaged him.)   In general running QBs havent had high injury risk, any more than regular QBs.  Look at Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Russell Wilson, Newton, Culpeper, VIck.  All have been fairly durable, certainly no bigger an injury risk than any other QB.  There is some risk that some injuries are going to be more damaging to Lamar's career because of his reliance on his athleticism, but given that many running QBs have stayed productive into their 30s I think this risk is relatively low. I don't think Vick is a great comp because he didn't really figure out how to be a passer until after he came back from his jail sentence.  Vick's best Rating+ pre-jail/suspension is 104, which is worse than Lamar's 2020.  And that's taking 6 Vick seasons compared to 3 Lamar seasons. I think Deshaun Watson checks off more boxes as a good comp, because of the recency of his contract, his performance, his playoff (lack of) success, and his playing style. If we're being realistic, Lamar has no real comparables.  There isn't a QB in NFL history that generates as much true dual-threat value as Lamar.  I think this actually is a problem when trying to figure out how much to pay him.  He's got the intangibles, sure (at least when it comes to regular season play) but with no real comps, it's kind of impossible to project his development/future performance. We know that the Ravens don't really throw the ball much, but in 2019 they were pretty damn efficient at it, and in 2020 they were middle-of-the-pack.  But when you can run the ball for 6-10 yards a carry, it kind of eliminates the need to throw the ball.  Imagine how good you'd have to be throwing the ball to make it a better proposition than running in most game situations.  And we also don't know how much his running ability affects his passing game.  And there's no way to know that until he can't run anymore.  Which isn't happening for 4-5 years barring injury. Even if it's risky, I think you really have no choice but to pay him, especially if you can get a contract with an out after his age-28 or 29 season.  It's easy to point to our mistake with thinking Flacco was worth an extension, but that's no reason to deny Lamar his extension, especially given that he's already shown the ability to singlehandedly carry us into the playoffs, even if he has struggled once there.  Flacco never carried this team in the regular season the way Lamar does.  In fact it was our multiple HOFers on the other side of the ball that carried Flacco into the postseason so he could be the hero for a couple games.  Credit to him for stepping up in January, but someone has to get us there, and we don't have anyone else who can do that.  The chance that we find someone in the draft that can do that is not that great.  Certainly lower than the chance that Jackson is going to take us to the SB.  I guess we could talk swapping him for someone like Deshaun Watson, but I just don't know how plausible that really is.
    • Lol, you gotta wait until spring training for those gems.
    • Well, now we know why Jim Hunter became redundant.
    • Brob was one of those let go.  I will miss him!  But he  remains as an "ambassador" as does Demper.  
    • I must have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone mention B-rob. Is he gone? I thought I heard him on some broadcasts last summer.
    • Mike Vick, six years into his career (going into the dogfighting arrest) had a 71/52 TD/INT ratio, for a 75.7 QB rating. RG3, three years in, had a 40/23 TD/INT ratio, for a 90.6 QB rating. He then got hurt and was never the same again. Lamar, three years in, has a 68/18 TD/INT ratio, for a 102.6 QB rating. Lamar is head and shoulders above both of those players.
  • Popular Contributors