Witchy_Chick

Hangout Weight Loss

Name - SB

Goal - get down to 165 lbs.

Starting Wieght - 189 lbs (started 4 weeks ago)

Current Weight - 177

Plan - Simply start to limit intake, stop the all day munchies! Lifting some weights to turn that blubber to muscle.

Here I go!

Starting weight: 186-187?

Goal: 170

Method: Jogging almost daily, and I could stand to cut back on the fast food!

Only problem with my method is I have back issues from time to time which can be worsened by jogging (stress on the spine). If my back starts acting up I have to stop running until it gets better. I've jogged the past two evenings after work though this morning my lower back is a little sore so I might have to take a day off today. :mad:

Here I go!

Only problem with my method is I have back issues from time to time which can be worsened by jogging (stress on the spine). If my back starts acting up I have to stop running until it gets better. I've jogged the past two evenings after work though this morning my lower back is a little sore so I might have to take a day off today. :mad:

You can burn almost as many calories walking if you just add hand motions or someother activity while doing it. Might look weird, but would be a lot less stressful on the back.

Once my dog grows to full size I'll have to teach her to pull me along on walks so I can resist. I bet that'd be a good workout :D

Name - SB

Goal - get down to 165 lbs.

Starting Wieght - 189 lbs (started 4 weeks ago)

Current Weight - 177

Plan - Simply start to limit intake, stop the all day munchies! Lifting some weights to turn that blubber to muscle.

Name - ScottieBaseball

Goal - Change eating habits, re-establish exercise habits, live healthier

Starting Weight - 227 (started 08-28-06, approx. 2-1/2 weeks ago)

Current Weight - 214

Plan - Dr. Ian Smith's "Fat Smash Diet". I've also started lifting again, albeit very lightly. The diet hasn't re-introduced enough protein to justify a return to 'building', but instead I'm focused more on form, posture, and re-strengthening long unused muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. as well as flexibility.

Simplified...the diet breaks down into 3 phases.

Phase I, "Detoxification", 9 days, is comprised almost entirely of beans, yogurt, brown rice, fruits, and veggies and is intended to rid the body of preservatives, processed carbs, sodium, etc. It also forced me to find creative means of adding flavor and character to meals without fat, butter, cheese, pasta, etc. It consists of 5-6 small meals per day and encourages to eat when your hungry. There's no counting of calories, portions, carbs, etc and I saw that as a bonus. I can't lie...I found out the 2nd day of this diet that there really is such a thing as carbohydrate addiction. I was nervous, grouchy, short-fused, and DYING for a piece of bread and butter. It's funny looking back now because it's not like bread and butter is a favorite of mine! The withdrawal only lasted a little more than a day, but it was still difficult to go without meat for that long. I'm as carnivorous as the come! My wife and I survived, though, both with significant losses in weight and inches.

We're a little more than a week and a half into Phase II, "Reconstruction" and, after Phase I, it almost feels like there's no diet!!! We've reintroduced reasonable portions of chicken, tuna, and LEAN beef to our diets and we've done a great job of sticking to the plan. In addition to meat, we also got have re-introduced about a slice and a half of cheese per day, a cup and a half of Rice Crispies or Cheerios in the morning, 2 pats of butter per day, low fat mayo, and a few other odds and ends. My first day on Phase II everyone in my office went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch. I ordered the Chopped Salad without bacon and it was phenomenal!!! Instead of lusting after the gooey, cheesy, greasy concoctions my co-workers were ordering, I found myself horrified at the thought of all that fat, sodium, and bad carbs. It really has changed my outlook on food and I didn't think it was possible.

I have to confess...I did cheat last Sunday for the Ravens game. I was going to get buffalo wings from Bill Bateman's, but I found a low calorie, low-fat recipe for buffalo chicken on the Food Network's website. Everything was in-bounds except for the 1/3 of a cup of all-purpose flour I used for the breading and the 3 beers I enjoyed during the game. I hadn't had a drop of alcohol at that point in over 2 weeks. Again...instead of taking my "wings" and beer for granted, I REALLY, REALLY appreciated and enjoyed them. PM me if you want the chicken recipe...it was to die for.

As far as exercise goes, I used to workout almost religiously before 2 shoulder surgeries, marriage, kids, and complacency kicked in. So I'm fortunate enough to have an olympic bar/bench, squat rack, pulley, 300 lbs. of plates, dumbells from 10 lbs. through 65 lbs., and an elliptical machine. I'm hitting the elliptical machine for 35 minutes every evening followed by 30 minutes hitting the weights. Right now I'm mixing up exercises, but I'm doing a total-body workout. 3 sets for my chest, 3 sets for my back, 2 sets for shoulders, 2 sets for triceps, 2 sets for biceps, and some crunches. After I lose another 10 pounds or so, I plan on splitting my lifting again into a 4-day program...Day 1 Back/Biceps, Day 2 Chest/Triceps, Day 3 Shoulders/Abs, Day 4 Power/Squats/Deadlifts/Etc.

If you're considering a diet/change in lifestyle, do it, and do it now. My wife and I have been at it going on a month and it was rough starting out but we're both reaping the benefits now. We both have more energy despite all the exercise, our clothes are fitting way better, and we just feel better about ourselves. I'm starting to get at work the, "Hey, Scott, when you get a chance- HOLY CRAP! Did you lose weight?!?!", from co-workers and it's a huge motivator. If you're already taken the plunge, keep up the good work!

Once my dog grows to full size I'll have to teach her to pull me along on walks so I can resist. I bet that'd be a good workout :D

Well that all depends if you have a Chihuahua or a St. Bernard. :D

Well that all depends if you have a Chihuahua or a St. Bernard. :D

She's a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog so I don't think she'll have any trouble :D

Scottie - glad you brought up the eliptical because I wanted to talk about it. Does anyone else find them extremely boring?! There's a TV in the same room as mine but I just get so bored using that thing, I'd much rather jog (even though the eliptical is better for you). I wish I could get in the habit of enjoying that thing.

Here I go!

bg, you can save yourself alot of back pain by working your core stablizing muscles thoroughly. The mistake most people make is that they work their core movement system, the muscles that move your core, before the stabilization system which keeps it stabilized. As a result their core doesn't stablize their spine properly when they move and they get alot of extra and uneven pressure on the spine which is what causes the pain.

If you spend a bit of time 3-5 days a week doing about 4 core stabilization exercises for 1-3 sets of 10-20 reps, holding each rep 6-20 seconds, you should see a big improvement in your back pain. It will really help your body stabilize itself.

Some core stabilization exercises that are good:

Marching Floor Bridge

Floor Bridge

Ball Bridge

Floor Prone Cobra

Quadruped Arm/Leg Raise

Prone Iso-Ab

Prone Iso-Ab with Hip Extension

Pron Iso-Ab with Hip Abduction

Side-Lying Iso-Ab

Two-Leg Reverse Hyper

Give those a try for a few weeks and it should really help.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the advice! I'll look those exercises up and figure out some sort of routine when I get home. I already have one of those exercise balls but I've never really gotten into any sort of routine with it. That's one thing I need to work on - setting a schedule and routine. Before I'd start doing it whenever I got the urge, and it's impossible to maintain any sort of regularity in it if that's how I go about it. I'll try something for a few weeks and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

I appreciate the advice! I'll look those exercises up and figure out some sort of routine when I get home. I already have one of those exercise balls but I've never really gotten into any sort of routine with it. That's one thing I need to work on - setting a schedule and routine. Before I'd start doing it whenever I got the urge, and it's impossible to maintain any sort of regularity in it if that's how I go about it. I'll try something for a few weeks and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

No probs dude! Just hammer it out once a day, it'll take you like 15 minutes tops. Pick 4 of those exercises each day and do a circuit, mixing things up on a daily basis.

If you google around you should be able to find descriptions of each of those exercises but if you're not sure how to do any of them let me know and I'll write a detailed description.

Not the ideal way to lose weight, but I had food poisoning yesterday and dropped 4 pounds overnight! Freaking projectile vomitting will do that I guess. LOL. Does that mean I can have a hamburger today ;)

2 down, and 48 more to go.

Didn't really behave this week. So I am happy that I lost two pounds. Hope everyone else had a good week last week, and continues to steam along.

I lost what looks to be 4 pounds (stupid analog scale!!!). Whooooo-hoooo!!

I was kinda bad this weekend. Friday was OK -- went over my points a little bit, but I was really jonesin' for crab cakes.

Saturday, I was good to go on my points until dinner. My boyfriend and I had dinner at That's Amore in Columbia. We got the Insalata Caprese for an appetizer. My boyfriend graciously went to town on the point-laden mozzarella, and I chowed down on the point-free tomatoes. :D That was OK (point-wise), but the Chicken Marsala probably put me over the top. The two Bailey's and coffees definitely put me over the top.

Sunday, I had a minimal breakfast (a couple handfuls of grapes), but we went out to lunch (Rocky Run). I was somewhat good there -- filled up on salad, and scraped the sour cream off of my burrito. My family celebrated my b-day last night, though: soft crabs, imperial crab, potato salad, and brocolli. And.....ummmmm.....strawberry shortcake for dessert. That was probably a day where I went WAY over my points. :(

I can see where weekends are going to be my downfall.

Witchy