Witchy_Chick

Hangout Weight Loss

Witchy congrats on losing 4 pounds this week thats really good.

If you are worried about the weekends being your downfall, then maybe you should look to change your weigh-in day to Friday. That way you will see the results of what you did throughout the week more so than what you did on the weekend.

Witchy congrats on losing 4 pounds this week thats really good.

If you are worried about the weekends being your downfall, then maybe you should look to change your weigh-in day to Friday. That way you will see the results of what you did throughout the week more so than what you did on the weekend.

It really shouldn't matter when you do a weigh-in, as long as it's on the same day every week. While you may be heavier after the weekend by a pound or two, the change in weight from week to week will be the same regardless. Witchy, just don't turn into the Orioles and accept a losing atmosphere. Never let it be ok for the weekends to be your downfall. As long as you keep trying to improve, you'll be fine.

I don't have any weigh gain/loss goals, but I do want (need) to work on my fitness. I've played soccer my whole life - rec leagues, middle school, high school, college, and a little dabble with pro ball - and up until a few years ago it involved playing at least 5 times per week and sometimes more. Now that I'm older, have a desk job, a house, etc., I simply don't have the time to play as much. As a result, the near unlimited endurance I used to have has slowly begun to fade. I'm still in good shape, but I want to improve.

I'm running in the Susan G. Komen 5K in October. Last year I think I was in the 22-23 minute range and this year I want to get close to 21 minutes. That'll be my short term goal. Hopefully I can get off my arse before or after work and run a little on my own.

• Upvote 1

It really shouldn't matter when you do a weigh-in, as long as it's on the same day every week. While you may be heavier after the weekend by a pound or two, the change in weight from week to week will be the same regardless. Witchy, just don't turn into the Orioles and accept a losing atmosphere. Never let it be ok for the weekends to be your downfall. As long as you keep trying to improve, you'll be fine.

This is gold. Exactly right.

Louie, do you know of any good, not too competitive rec soccer leagues around the Pikesville area of Baltimore? I wouldn't mind playing a bit again but it's been about 6 years since I last kicked a ball so I'm really not going to be all that good. I also have terrible running endurance. So I'm looking for more of a relaxed vibe game, not a really intense one.

This is gold. Exactly right.

Louie, do you know of any good, not too competitive rec soccer leagues around the Pikesville area of Baltimore? I wouldn't mind playing a bit again but it's been about 6 years since I last kicked a ball so I'm really not going to be all that good. I also have terrible running endurance. So I'm looking for more of a relaxed vibe game, not a really intense one.

The three closest indoor facilities to Pikesville are Carroll Indoor, Bear Hills, and Perring Athletic Club.

Carroll Indoor - I think it's on Owings Mills Blvd, about 5 or 10 minutes from the mall, in the opposite direction from the mall off of 795. They have two fields, one large, one small.

Bear Hills - Just off of Falls Rd south, right by Princeton Sports, which is 5 minutes south of the beltway. They have one field.

Perring - Just off Perring Parkway, about 3 minutes south of the beltway. They have two fields as well, one large and one small.

If you just want to get your feet wet, your best bet is to play coed first. The level of play won't be as high in general because you'll get a lot of people like yourself, those just looking to have fun. Indoor soccer is great for anyone who just wants to get some exercise in. I played in a coed league on Wednesday nights at Perring and there were people of all shapes, sizes, and skill levels playing. The best part, for the endurance challanged, is that when you get tired you simply come off the field and someone else goes on.

Yudi or anyone else who is interested, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!! I guess "downfall" was perhaps too strong of a word -- "challenge" might be better.

One good thing to come out of my weekend eating, I have a new recipe for tomatoes (and boy, do I have a ton of tomatoes outta my garden!!!). Saturday at dinner, we had the Insalata Caprese -- basically tomatoes, mozzarella, some onion, basil, and balsamic vinegar. I made some of that up last night as a side dish for dinner and it was delish'!!! I love me some tomatoes, so I can see where I'll be having this quite often. Gotta leave the (high-points) cheese out of it, though, to keep it 0 points.

Witchy

The three closest indoor facilities to Pikesville are Carroll Indoor, Bear Hills, and Perring Athletic Club.

Carroll Indoor - I think it's on Owings Mills Blvd, about 5 or 10 minutes from the mall, in the opposite direction from the mall off of 795. They have two fields, one large, one small.

Bear Hills - Just off of Falls Rd south, right by Princeton Sports, which is 5 minutes south of the beltway. They have one field.

Perring - Just off Perring Parkway, about 3 minutes south of the beltway. They have two fields as well, one large and one small.

If you just want to get your feet wet, your best bet is to play coed first. The level of play won't be as high in general because you'll get a lot of people like yourself, those just looking to have fun. Indoor soccer is great for anyone who just wants to get some exercise in. I played in a coed league on Wednesday nights at Perring and there were people of all shapes, sizes, and skill levels playing. The best part, for the endurance challanged, is that when you get tired you simply come off the field and someone else goes on.

Yudi or anyone else who is interested, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Wow, co-ed soccer? How is that possible? I don't think I would ever be able to properly tackle a woman. I've never heard of soccer being a co-ed sport before.

That said, if it's relaxed and all about the fun it sounds pretty good. I'd definitely be interested. When does the season run? I'm only in Bmore permanently from January when I start my postgrad here, will there be a league going on around then?

Definitely give me the details though, sounds really great. Maybe we could even get a few other people from the Hangout to be part of this?

Wow, co-ed soccer? How is that possible? I don't think I would ever be able to properly tackle a woman. I've never heard of soccer being a co-ed sport before.

That said, if it's relaxed and all about the fun it sounds pretty good. I'd definitely be interested. When does the season run? I'm only in Bmore permanently from January when I start my postgrad here, will there be a league going on around then?

Definitely give me the details though, sounds really great. Maybe we could even get a few other people from the Hangout to be part of this?

Pshhh...freaking foreigners. :D

Yeah, man...there are plenty of co-ed sports for adults here in the States. My sister-in-law plays in a co-ed volleyball league and I myself have played on several co-ed softball teams. I imagine, though, to prevent a man slide-tackling a woman, it'd be a no-no. I'll check on the indoor facility in my neck o' the woods, Freestate Sports Arena, to see if they have anything going on that you might be interested in. Heck, I might even dust off the ol' cleats.

Pshhh...freaking foreigners. :D

Yeah, man...there are plenty of co-ed sports for adults here in the States. My sister-in-law plays in a co-ed volleyball league and I myself have played on several co-ed softball teams. I imagine, though, to prevent a man slide-tackling a woman, it'd be a no-no. I'll check on the indoor facility in my neck o' the woods, Freestate Sports Arena, to see if they have anything going on that you might be interested in. Heck, I might even dust off the ol' cleats.

Freaking Yanks :D

I've played alot of co-ed sports myself, I was involved in a big co-ed softball league in England and it was great. I love the co-ed vibe in general, it makes it alot more fun to play and less competitive which is exactly how I like it.

It's just that tackles in soccer can be pretty aggressive and have some heavy contact. Just don't see how you could put men and women together in a sport that involves that. But either way, I'd love to get back into the game in a chilled environment like that. You up for some ball Scottie?

Down 4 lb. from the starting point. I was at a booksellers' conference and trade show in Denver last week, and I spent a lot of time hoofing it from one end of the conference hotel to the other. I also walked the perimeter of the hotel. Carrying bags of advance readers copies also helped to get the heart pumping.

Freaking Yanks :D

I've played alot of co-ed sports myself, I was involved in a big co-ed softball league in England and it was great. I love the co-ed vibe in general, it makes it alot more fun to play and less competitive which is exactly how I like it.

It's just that tackles in soccer can be pretty aggressive and have some heavy contact. Just don't see how you could put men and women together in a sport that involves that. But either way, I'd love to get back into the game in a chilled environment like that. You up for some ball Scottie?

In my limited experience playing coed, not once have I ever gone in for a ball with a female. I avoid all tackles like the plague. Now, if I'm playing against women of a high caliber, maybe I'll play a little harder. But given the league I was in, I just took it easy. Remember, the atmosphere is more laid back, so you don't play as hard. At least I didn't.

Down 4 lb. from the starting point. I was at a booksellers' conference and trade show in Denver last week, and I spent a lot of time hoofing it from one end of the conference hotel to the other. I also walked the perimeter of the hotel. Carrying bags of advance readers copies also helped to get the heart pumping.

Nice work DurbBird. People don't realize that it doesn't take much to create a calorie deficit. Little things like taking the stairs or skipping that daily soda really can make a difference. As for my goal, I coaxed myself out of bed about 20 minutes early and went for a nice 2.5 mile run. I think it's a good start. How's everyone else doing?

a carb-a-holic.

I went to the doc for some tests a few years ago. When I got the results, at the top of the page it said, "Subject is an obese white male, age 37..." I said, "WTF! This must change." At that time I had hit 216 pounds. I decided to make a change and set my goal at 175. Through eating smaller portions, drinking water and swimming I got down to 189. Then something happened. I can't really remember what happened, but something did, because I stopped swimming 4 times a week. Three years later, I'm hovering around 195 - 200.

You guys have inspired me.

My goal is to weigh 180 on my birthday, December 25th. That would be about a pound per week. I'll accomplish this by walking/biking more often and reducing portion size. I'll also dust off the bowflex. By no means will I give up drinking beer, as a life without beer is not the life for me. I also promise to engage in sexual activity more often, because we all know the health benefits of good ol' S.E.X.

After I hit 180 on the birthday, I'll shoot for 170 by Opening Day of the Baltimore Orioles 2007 Championship Season, which is also my 7th wedding anniversary.

Thanks, Witchy, for issuing the challenge!

The first week, (last week), I really was a slug and didn't exercise much at all.

This week has been better so far. I went walking/jogging after work on Monday and Wednesday, (and did lawn work on Tuesday). I did three laps around the neighborhood, which I think is about 3/4 of a mile each. So I think it's probably about 2+ miles total. Takes me about 12 mins to walk/jog per lap so my distance guesses might be off. Regardless, it's a nice bout of exercise.

My weight has been steady, with just normal fluctuations of 1-2 pounds per day, and that's ok. I'm trying to eat healthier lunches, instead of burgers/fries every day. And cutting out some sodas, in favor of water, or those 1-calorie sodas.

It's nothing drastic, but I'm not looking for much weight-loss. Just trying to prevent weight gain. I don't want to buy all new pants!!:002_sbiggrin:

A sports league would be fun, but haven't followed up on it. Worth looking into though.

Excellent!! Very nice work!!

Well, today was kinda bad. :( We had a picnic here at work, and I had TWO burgers!!! :o I just had 'em plain, though -- no bun and no cheese. And I stuck to (tortilla) chips and salsa rather than (potato) chips and potato salad.

I also have an O's game tonight. I think (if I'm even hungry then) that I'm going to try to eat something good at home......rather than something "bad" at the game. :D

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Witchy

• Upvote 1

How did everyone do this past week? Between the aforementioned Friday work picnic and my brother's drunkfest party Saturday night, I gained back my 4 pounds. :( Well, it was to be expected I guess since I had all that food on Friday, and all that booze on Saturday. Plus, I didn't drink a lot of water over the weekend. Gotta work on that.

Witchy