Witchy_Chick

Hangout Weight Loss

You might be throwing up big weight, might appear to be in good shape, but brother all that sodium and fat is affecting your body in ways you CAN'T see. You're setting yourself up for early onset heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney and liver disease, and only God knows what else.

You should seriously reconsider your diet. It sounds like you're not even close to the guy that needs to eliminate it altogether, but you should definitely moderate.

Scottie didn't you know young people are invincible? Just ask one!

We oldsters are also so party on dude! :rolleyes: It's all in the genes....:cool: Just wear your sunblock on the face or you will be hit up bigtime later. :(:eek:

Wait a second...I am a young person! I'm only 29!

Seriously...just be careful is all. Your metabolism can come to a screeching halt without much warning. That's great and I'm sure a lot of folks on this board envy you for being able to put away Whoppers, wash 'em down with wobbly pop, and still stay fit. I envy you. As a matter of fact, if you do it in my presence, I'll shower you with dirty looks, hisses, and rolled eyes. :-D

Now somewhere there's a nice salad calling my name.

Wait a second...I am a young person! I'm only 29!

Seriously...just be careful is all. Your metabolism can come to a screeching halt without much warning. That's great and I'm sure a lot of folks on this board envy you for being able to put away Whoppers, wash 'em down with wobbly pop, and still stay fit. I envy you. As a matter of fact, if you do it in my presence, I'll shower you with dirty looks, hisses, and rolled eyes. :-D

Now somewhere there's a nice salad calling my name.

Exactly, as mine did at the ripe old age of 23...

Now I am trying to lose 25 lbs after being underweight almost all of my life... :o

And Scottie, I sent you a PM, holla back

Well I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few weeks ago and being only 31 scared the crap out of me. I'm 6' and hover around 300-310. I've started going to the guy daily and I'm only up to 22 minutes of cardio on the Cybex but I started out at 7 minutes so that's an improvement. I haven't started with the weight training yet, I'm going to give it a while before I bring that in. I'm not really "dieting" but I've cut out just about all sugar and am limiting my carbs and I haven't had any bread/rice/potatoes/corn in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll start to lose some weight soon but I've really been concentrating on getting my blood sugar down more then weighing myself.

• Upvote 2

Well I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few weeks ago and being only 31 scared the crap out of me. I'm 6' and hover around 300-310. I've started going to the guy daily and I'm only up to 22 minutes of cardio on the Cybex but I started out at 7 minutes so that's an improvement. I haven't started with the weight training yet, I'm going to give it a while before I bring that in. I'm not really "dieting" but I've cut out just about all sugar and am limiting my carbs and I haven't had any bread/rice/potatoes/corn in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll start to lose some weight soon but I've really been concentrating on getting my blood sugar down more then weighing myself.

You go, BG!!! Don't focus on the problem, focus on the fix! Within a few weeks you more than TRIPLED the amount of time you can last on the machine! By the way..."dieting" doesn't have to be such a drastic, dirty concept. What you're doing is "dieting". Limiting your carbs like you described is intelligent and should have dramatically positive effects on your well-being.

Keep us posted and don't forget to look this way for support. You're fighting a good fight!

You might be throwing up big weight, might appear to be in good shape, but brother all that sodium and fat is affecting your body in ways you CAN'T see. You're setting yourself up for early onset heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney and liver disease, and only God knows what else.

You should seriously reconsider your diet. It sounds like you're not even close to the guy that needs to eliminate it altogether, but you should definitely moderate.

IHM has the most ridiculously low BP in the world, as I think he mentioned somewhere back in this thread. As for liver disease, umm, well as evidenced by the "post here when you're drunk" thread, more than handful of us our well on our way...

And believe me, as a man who has known IHM since he put soap on my backside in pre-kindergarten, he and I have both moderated our redonculous appetite for grease. At Fuddruckers we went from getting consistent pounders, to 2/3 lb burgers, to now 1/2 burgers. I'm not going to say the diet is healthy, cuz it sure ain't, but I just wanted to put you somewhat at ease for your well-intentioned concerns.

And Bgtimber, keep up the good fight man. It might feel hard, but thats what makes it worth it.

Hey Everyone!

What's going on? I will say that it's awesome that you all are so committed to doing losing weight and being healthier. Myself, after being a competitive athlete in high school and playing some semi-pro ball after college graduation, I got into a car accident and had back surgery.

I will say after the surgery, being at home for 6-8 months straight while trying to attend grad school, depression, a break-up with a woman and having zero strength to workout, run, I managed to put on 60-70 pounds.

Out of concern, my mother who is a doctor put me on a strict diet. When I finally got out of the funk (partly to the heavy drugs I was taking), I cut out all soda, high-fat food and went on a diet of low-carbs, lots of greens, vegetables and protein. I also did 2 hours of cardio a day without missing a day for 2 months - a morning session, one in the afternoon and one in the evening.

I lost all the weight and more I gained in literally 2-3 months and got down to about 205. In hindsight, I got down too light and put back on a few more afterwards.

Was it healthy? Well, probably not in terms of the exercise I did in comparison to the calories I took in. Right now, I am about 225 at 6'4 -6'5". I'd ideally like to lose another 15, only to be leaner, as I can tell with the few extra pounds, my mobility is not as great if I could manage to lose a few. I play a lot of softball, basketball and run, and the few extra pounds makes a difference when you do athletics.

I have a lot of muscle mass, and most people think I am much lighter than what I look -- but, I have a little around the stomach which I'd like to eradicate. I tore my MCL a few months ago and fell back into some bad habits.

Anyhow, based on my experience I'll pass on a few of my thoughts. In my diet, I also worked with one of my best friends who's a nutritionist and competes in bodybuilding events along with my mother.

First, be committed and know you will have a plateau. Honestly, the first few weeks I found were the easiest and this where you'll see a lot happen. If you don't see a lot happen, don't give up - it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Second, don't kill yourself with the diet and portions are what makes the difference. The rule of thumb is to eat 6 small meals around 150-300 calories each and it helps if you keep track of the calorie content to chart your progress and find any problems with your progress. Starvation is not the way to do things, and if you if need a cheat day, do it. However, be mindful of what you take in and maybe regulate yourself to a cheat treat once a week.

Third, exercise is key. I went all out with this part, which I should not have done, but since I seem to put a lot of energy into what I do at a given time, this happened to be most rewarding and fun part of my task. I did a lot of cardio, but it is key that you get at least 30 minutes of exercise in, and maybe up to 60 or more if you're trying to burn fat.

Fourth, have a positive outlook and support! As long as you have family, friends and yes, Orioles Hangout in your corner when you're up and most especially when you are down, you will have no problems with your goals.

My stats:

Age 28

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 225

Goal: to lose 15, and most importantly lower body fat.

I have high blood pressure and I've been limiting sodium in my diet. I also want to drop 15-25 lbs to get me under 210lbs. I'm 6'6" and 22yo at college (which makes it much harder). I used to run but haven't even raced since the end of last year after I did 3 1/2 marathons.

So here's the goal:

Lose 15-25lbs

Get back into running to complete a 10k later this year. Possibly another 1/2 marathon this spring.

Here's how/guidelines:

-Lower blood pressure by losing the weight and saying away from sodium in crappy junk foods.

-Run 3 times a week, to start I'll say it has to be a minimum of 5 miles total, but this will increase as I go on. Maybe a mile a week.

-Each week starts on Monday and ends on Sunday

-One walk of 2 miles or more a week, this can be substituted by walking to class/campus 3 times a week.

-Do weights or sit ups or some other kind of excercise at least once a week, idealy once every 3 days.

-Thanksgiving and Christmas I can eat whatever

-Every weekend I can choose to ease up on either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday...but only ONE of those three days.

Start tomorrow.

Last month, on a bet w/ some guys at work, I said I'd take off 15 lbs. in a month. Over the past year or two, I've ballooned to 215. I really should be about 185.

So I did the following:

-No white bread, only wheat

-No eating after 7 pm.

-Drinking ALOT of water w/ the occassional diet pepsi

-Eat a lot fresh fruit/vegs. and yogurt

-Walk a mile 3 times a week

-lite breakfast, lite lunch, and a moderate dinner

-still had some foods at dinner like mac and cheese and that stuff, but small portions and no seconds. I think that if you deprive yourself of all of that, you've going to cave big at some point.

-switched to the Mich Ultra when going out w/ friends (it grows on you after awhile)

So Wednesday, at the end of the bet, I'm at 200 even (I had a trip to the beach that tripped me up a little). But the goal now is to lose 15 more before holidays. I feel a whole lot better and it's nice wearing my old jeans again.

Thanks for the support guys. It was a tough weekend. I was craving pancakes on Saturday so we went to Bob Evans. I told myself that was going to be my "cheat day" for the week but last night my wife wanted Chinese food and I'm just too weak to turn that down. Had some hot crispy chicken but went lite on the rice. Furtunately the week is easy to get through as far as sticking the plan out.

• Upvote 1

I think that's the theory. At some point you cross a threshold from fat burning into aerobic training.

However, I think I just answered my own question. As long as I'm at or above the ideal fat burning BPM, I'm good.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/fatburn.htm

This is on the money.

For AgentOrange and others who aren't sure about this - when you train there are different methods your body uses for fuel. If you go really hardcore intensity, the kind that can only be maintained for very short periods, you're doing anaerobic exercise ie not using oxygen. If you do lower intensity exercise, you're doing it aerobically ie. using oxygen for fuel.

Aerobic training burns alot more calories than anaerobic. Additionally, the more you get your body working aerobically, the more calories you're gonna burn. So pretty much the goal of cardio training is to train just below your anaerobic threshold and to try and keep pushing it higher so that you can train with more intensity while still being in the aerobic range.

Now the thing is that you have to be careful how you go about doing this as you need to build up to it gradually. If you're out of shape or haven't exercised for a while, then the first thing you want to be doing is just getting your heart range up into a moderately high level and holding it there for about 30 mintues (I'll explain more about the zones for this later). Once you can do this 3 times a week, then you are ready to move onto stage 2. This is probably where Scottie is right now and that's why he's hit a bit of a plateau.

The way to overcome this plateau is as follows:

1) Warm up and train in zone 1 (to be explained shortly) for 5-10 minutes.

2) After that, spend one minute building your heart rate up to zone 2 (see later). You must only spend one minute in or building up to zone 2. This means that if it takes you 50 seconds to build up to that heart rate you only have 10 seconds of maintaining it before this minute is over.

3) Once the minute of zone 2 is over, bring the heart rate back down to zone 1 and hold it there for another 5 minutes.

4) If you can recover back to zone 1 ok and have more time/energy, push back into zone 2 again for 1 minute and then come back down to zone 1 for 5minutes, as before.

5) Repeat as desired, but not too much or you'll overtrain.

What you're doing by following the steps shown above is just pushing your anaerobic threshold (ie. the point where you stop using air as fuel) higher and increasing your fitness, which will lead to adaptations and increased performance/weight loss.

Now, for the explanation of zones - to get zones you do as follows:

1) Take your age and subtract it from 220. In Scottie's case this is 191. That is your maximum heart rate (approximate).

2) Zone 1 is 65 - 75% of your heartrate. So for Scottie this would be

191 x 0.65 = 124

191 x 0.75 = 143

So Scottie's zone 1 is between 124 and 143 bpm.

3) Zone 2 is 80 - 85% of your heartrate. In Scottie's case

191 x 0.8 = 153

191 x 0.85 = 162

So what Scottie would do is first spend as much time as it took getting to a level where he could keep his heart rate between the 124 and 143 mark consistently over the same pace for 30 mintues, 3 times a week.

Once he has that aerobic base, he'll do the plan above, where he spends 5 minutes in zone 1, pushes up to and holds in zone 2 for 1 minute, and then goes back down to zone 1 for 5 minutes, repeating if he can.

For most people on this thread, you don't need to worry about pushing up to zone 2 and all that yet. Just focus on getting into your zone 1 range and keeping yourself there for 30 minutes 3 times a week. It's very important to monitor your heart rate so you can properly keep track of this. Don't push yourself too much or you'll overtrain. It might be that at first no matter how hard you try your heart rate keeps rising. If so, reduce the speed until it's back at the desired level and keep on going. Also, don't start out trying to do 30 minutes of cardio right off the bat. Start at 15 and build it up. Just let your body naturally gain it's fitness.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is that the ONLY WAY YOU WILL LOSE FAT/WEIGHT IS IF YOU TAKE IN FEWER CALORIES THAN YOU BURN. That rule is NEVER wrong. Even if you are training in a fat burning range, if you are eating more calories than you burn you will still put on fat. It's that simple. With that in mind, the way to lose weight is to move more and eat less. More movement means more calories burned and as long as you burn more than you eat you WILL lose weight.

The best thing to do if you are really serious about this is to spend some time monitoring exactly what you eat, to see how many calories you are taking in on average. You'd be surprised how many calories are in things you thought were pretty healthy. The best way to do this, I've found, is to use a program like fitday.com, which is free and let's you keep track of exactly what you've eaten and any exercise you've done. You can keep a journal and set up goals for yourself and stuff too. It's really great, and it's helped me get a handle on my eating alot.

As far as eating goes - don't cut out carbs entirely. You need carbs for energy. Carbs don't put weight on - calories do. If you eat less than you burn, even if you have a high carb diet, you will still lose weight. Your eating should be about 50-70% carbs, 30-50% protein and 10-30% fat. Experiment and see what works for you. But if you keep things in those ranges and limit your calories to fewer than what you are burning every day (not sure of the exact levels but I think it's about 2500 for guys and 1950 for girls but could be wrong on that - Scottie, any idea?), you will lose weight.

All of the stuff you've read about carbs or high GI foods making you fat is not true. What makes you fat is taking in more than you are burning. It just happens that some foods are more conducive to taking in fewer calories.

Wow - that was long. I hope it's helped though. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer.

• Upvote 2

Hmm. So more bpm is counter-productive when trying to burn fat?

Careful how you interpret this, though. If you go too high, into your anaerobic levels, then you will be burning up energy from carbs rather than fat. However, going too low doesn't help you much either.

As mentioned above, the way exercise helps you lose weight is by burning calories. The slower you go, the fewer calories you burn. So you don't want to be casually walking for an hour either, that's not going to get you far. The best thing to to do is get your heart range in that zone 1 for up to 30 minutes 3 times a week. You want to keep trying to push your fitness, and by extension that anaerobic threshold upwards so that you can move faster (burn more calories) while still keeping an aerobic fuel source.

• Upvote 1