Witchy_Chick

Hangout Weight Loss

Yuds has become the Richard Simmons of the OH, only slightly more jewish, and much less fruity. Kudos for your expertise, positive attitude, and motivational posts!

Good luck everyone.

Yeah, f*** you too man. :D

Re: your high blood pressure - my dad has it too and so I've basically been doing his new low sodium diet with him to help him through it and it's really not that bad. I actually hate foods that have too much salt in them now. If you go to a place like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods they have a bunch of spices and stuff that you can use to flavor food without any sodium or very little in them and Mrs Dash has some absolutely amazing low/no sodium ones as well. You can also get those No Salt substitutes that taste like salt but no/very low salt in them.

If you experiment a bit you'll find some really nice recipes you can make that have virtually no sodium in them and once you get used to it the food actually tastes so much better that way. The thing is that we've all been conditioned to consume insane amounts of sodium in everything we eat, but the only time you realize that is when you just take a break from it for a while and see how all the other flavors get so drowned out by the salt in everything. It might be hard at first but trust me, you'll end up enjoying your low sodium diet alot more than your old one.

The diet my wife and I are using (Fat Smash Diet by Dr. Ian Smith) focuses on low fat, low sodium, and low processed carb meals (whole grains are acceptable). There are 50 or so recipes in the book, but if you search "Fatsmash" in Yahoo! Groups and join it, the files section is chock-full of recipes that are definitely low sodium.

I couldn't agree with you more about the salt/sodium, Yudi...since eating more natural, low sodium foods, the saltiness of foods we used to eat regularly (pizza for instance) has made some of our old standbys almost unbearable. I never thought I'd say this, but I really enjoy freshly steamed veggies or fresh veggies stir-fried and served over brown rice. We make our own chili seasoning now using chili powder, cumin, garlic, cayenne, and a few other things. It's actually better (the kids agree!) than the old McCormick's chili seasoning and it has 1/20th the amount of sodium. We also use a few different versions of the Mrs. Dash seasonings. Even if I wasn't on this diet, I'd enjoy them!

Seriously? I've always enjoyed veggies and salads, but if you'd have told me 3 months ago that they'd be the main ingredient in most of my meals now along side chicken breast or lean beef, I'd have laughed you out of my face. It's the truth, though.

Wow, major kudos to you man! Even though I love exercise and am studying to be a personal trainer and all that, I don't know if I could ever be as in amazing shape as you were then. Running for me has always been really hard, I've had periods where I've been able to run a few miles a day but it was a big struggle to get my fitness up and it took alot of hard work.

Re: your high blood pressure - my dad has it too and so I've basically been doing his new low sodium diet with him to help him through it and it's really not that bad. I actually hate foods that have too much salt in them now. If you go to a place like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods they have a bunch of spices and stuff that you can use to flavor food without any sodium or very little in them and Mrs Dash has some absolutely amazing low/no sodium ones as well. You can also get those No Salt substitutes that taste like salt but no/very low salt in them.

If you experiment a bit you'll find some really nice recipes you can make that have virtually no sodium in them and once you get used to it the food actually tastes so much better that way. The thing is that we've all been conditioned to consume insane amounts of sodium in everything we eat, but the only time you realize that is when you just take a break from it for a while and see how all the other flavors get so drowned out by the salt in everything. It might be hard at first but trust me, you'll end up enjoying your low sodium diet alot more than your old one.

I'll never be in that kind of shape again, but I do want to do a marathon. For that I would be in just as good of shape, just in a different way (long distance instead of mile sprint...yes when you're trying to break 5 minutes in the mile it becomes a sprint).

Actually my doctor told me the same thing. Cut down on salt and lose some weight...I think it was 2 years ago. So I stayed away from as much crap as I could and ran and I think I lost 15 lbs. Then last year I did 3 1/2 marathons and I think I just tired myself out. I only trained for the first one in April then had trouble getting myself to run over summer, even though I was registered for one labor day weekend in Virginia Beach. Then I went and ran that and beat my April time but run/walking. Then there was the Bmore 1/2 marathon that I trained little for and I would have PR'ed (personal record) over the VA beach time but I thought I pulled my quad at the start of the last mile. I stopped running and walked off to the side and stretched it...put my hand on it and the muscle like popped back into place. It was only a cramp and I finished no prob.

I had gotten in to a wierd Run/Walk thing and I didn't really like it, but couldn't work my way out of it. Then add to that my heavy course load and I decided to stop running until after my student teaching (this past spring). I ran some this summer, ran some in September, then just picked it back up yesterday and ran 3 miles for the first time this year (hadn't broken 2 before). Took today off and hitting up 2 mile runs on Fri and Sat.

Ok sorry for making that so long. I can go on forever when I'm talking about running.

Name: Daniel

Weight: 152

Height: 5'9"

Goal loss: not really looking to lose much weight as much as I just want to get in shape. I would like to lose fat and gain muscle.

I go to lacrosse conditioning twice a week to get in shape for the lacrosse season. I'm not really looking to lose much weight, as much as I am just looking to get in shape for the regular season in the fall. This is out usual workout...

*6 100-yard dashes OR 8 5-10-5 runs (you start in the middle, sprint 5 feet to one side, 10 feet to the other side and 5 back to the middle, changing directions each time)

*1 mile run- usualy in the low 7 minute area (I am not a very good distance runner)

*bench press- setof of 10, then 8, 6,5,5 increasing in weight each time

*squats- sets of 10,8,6,5,5 increasing in weight each time

hang cleans- 5 sets of 5 reps- increasing in weight slightly each time

*circuits- which consist of 30 seconds of...

jump rope

dips

pull ups

legs curls

walking lunges

box jumps

wall sits

medicine ball push ups (push ups with both hands on the medicine ball, I can only do about 2, they are very hard)

*ab workouts which consist of

25 curls

25 toe touches

1 minute of iron bridge (laying flay on your foremars and toes while keeping your torso flat in the air)

25 bicicles (touching your elbow to your knees while doing crunches, like in Rocky)

This workout may seem like a lot, but it really isn't that bad. It is also only on Monday's and Wednesday's so we get to rest the rest of the week. On Sundays we do have rec games until the school season begins. What do you guys think? Am I doing too much? Not enough?

Good luck with all of your diets!

*1 mile run- usualy in the low 7 minute area (I am not a very good distance runner)

Actually that's not bad for somebody who has never ran for the sake of running. I remember in 9th grade (probably your age too, if not a little younger) during PE I decided to see how fast I could do a mile during one of our mile runs and got 7:05 or so and was really happy with it. If you work at it you can get it down. If lacross is in the spring (like I'm used to) you could maybe consider indoor track and do middle distance (400m 800m and respective relays). That would get you in some great shape and you would have some endurance to run up and down that field.

Just my 2 cents, you can take it or leave it.

Yuds, thanks for the message and the kind words! For me, it was all about finally taking control of things and getting to where you want to be, rather than accepting "a woe is me" mentality. I literally just got up one day and wanted changed the state I was in, because frankly, I was tired of feeling the way that time.

In hindsight, life was not at all bad - I had a great job, a nice income, home, and the education, which would sound find fine to most; however, I was not happy at all personally and health-wise.

Simply, life is meant to be enjoyed and cherished. We all only get one go at life, so might you as well be happy and healthy.

Personally, I'd like to be have toned, vanity 6-pack - that's the goal. I am fine where I am at, but since I think I am still somewhat of an athlete, the bodyfat is what makes the difference to me, not so much the weight.

• Upvote 2

A 7 minute mile is not bad at all, and is actually quite good.

In high school, I ran the mile in about 6:30, and in college, I ran it in under 6 minutes, by just a few seconds. Partly, I think I did so well, because I wanted to a beat a guy so bad, but he was simply a genetic freak and no matter what I did, he always finished ahead of me.

Simply, the better conditioned athletes in my classes did better. The basketball players were freaking incredible -- I was more or less a weekend warrior who just kept himself in great shape.

I think my height had a lot to do with my time, with my strides, long legs and all -- but with anything, you have to be consistent. The more you do it, the better you'll get - simple.

Originally Posted by BmoreBoy

I'll never be in that kind of shape again, but I do want to do a marathon. For that I would be in just as good of shape, just in a different way (long distance instead of mile sprint...yes when you're trying to break 5 minutes in the mile it becomes a sprint).

Actually my doctor told me the same thing. Cut down on salt and lose some weight...I think it was 2 years ago. So I stayed away from as much crap as I could and ran and I think I lost 15 lbs. Then last year I did 3 1/2 marathons and I think I just tired myself out. I only trained for the first one in April then had trouble getting myself to run over summer, even though I was registered for one labor day weekend in Virginia Beach. Then I went and ran that and beat my April time but run/walking. Then there was the Bmore 1/2 marathon that I trained little for and I would have PR'ed (personal record) over the VA beach time but I thought I pulled my quad at the start of the last mile. I stopped running and walked off to the side and stretched it...put my hand on it and the muscle like popped back into place. It was only a cramp and I finished no prob.

I had gotten in to a wierd Run/Walk thing and I didn't really like it, but couldn't work my way out of it. Then add to that my heavy course load and I decided to stop running until after my student teaching (this past spring). I ran some this summer, ran some in September, then just picked it back up yesterday and ran 3 miles for the first time this year (hadn't broken 2 before). Took today off and hitting up 2 mile runs on Fri and Sat.

Ok sorry for making that so long. I can go on forever when I'm talking about running.

BmoreBoy seeing you talk about running has gotten me all fired up to talk about it too, I'm getting ready for my 5th Marathon (Detroit Oct 29th) I've been training pretty hardcore for it, my training is over and I'm tapering now but during my peak training I averaged about 80 miles a week for 6 weeks and at least 70 mpw for the past 3 1/2 months. So if you ever are looking for any pointers about doing a marathon lemme know and I'd be glad to offer my input. Not to mention right now is probably the best weather for running, not too cold, not too hot. Not too windy either. Maryland has plenty of great state parks where you can go for runs and the scenery makes the running that much more enjoyable!

I go to lacrosse conditioning twice a week to get in shape for the lacrosse season. I'm not really looking to lose much weight, as much as I am just looking to get in shape for the regular season in the fall. This is out usual workout...!

What position do you play? I would recommend finding some place where you can throw a ball against a wall. 100x righty, 100x lefty, 100x one handed righty, 100x one handed lefty. Within two months you will improve your stick skills drastically.

Also these days in lacrosse everyone is going to be in decent enough running shape, where you get the advantage is quick titch or explosive movements. Your circuits consist of good exercises, but its more focused on conditioning which will come during the season just by playing anyway. I might ditch the 30 second quick transition routine and concentrate on doing each workout right, and increasing the used weight. Hang cleans are a difficult but fruitful exercise if done right, hopefully you have someone who taught you well. I want to give a couple of pointers just in case. Stick your chest out, tighten your abs, and sink your hip as if you're going to sit in a chair. Your knees shouldn't be pushed forward and bent at all. Make sure that its not your arms pulling up the bar, but rather the explosive burst from your legs and neck that make the bar fly up, and then fully pushing your elbows out to catch the bar as it comes back down. You can also use that momentum and turn the hang clean into a front squat if you want. Form is crucial here, otherwise you'll be missing out on the advantages of the olympic lift. Your butt, hammies, and traps should be sore, not your shoulders.

I'm assuming by your height you're not a long pole, I could be wrong though. Get a cone or just about any standing object, and use it as a fake defender. Then run back and forth with a stick in your hand and practice your dodging. Split dodges left to right and right to left. In all honesty you can be extremely succesful with an effective split dodge alone. Attack the front foot of the defender. Whichever way you're splitting, make sure you sell it the opposite way with your shoulder dip and first step. Also be mindful of when you start the dodge, you want some space between the defender so that when he shifts his hips you can explode by without being slowed up by a poke or body check. If you're going against a long pole obviously start the dodge earlier. You can also work on your role or spin dodge doing the same back and forth with the dummy. The key here is after you plant, keep your spin very tight. Keep moving forward rather than laterally, otherwise the defender won't have trouble staying with you. Finally a simple bull dodge with a jab step can be quite effective. Again spacing is very important, once you;ve made your jab step you want to cradle with your outside hand, with your inside arm extended to shield from the defender.

Agility drills are the last thing I would recommend. Shuffling left and right, backpedaling then exploding forward, jumping on a mat marked like the 5 spot on dice on one leg from spot to spot to improve your footwork.

Hope some of that was helpful, if you have any questions lax related ask away.

• Upvote 1

BmoreBoy seeing you talk about running has gotten me all fired up to talk about it too, I'm getting ready for my 5th Marathon (Detroit Oct 29th) I've been training pretty hardcore for it, my training is over and I'm tapering now but during my peak training I averaged about 80 miles a week for 6 weeks and at least 70 mpw for the past 3 1/2 months. So if you ever are looking for any pointers about doing a marathon lemme know and I'd be glad to offer my input. Not to mention right now is probably the best weather for running, not too cold, not too hot. Not too windy either. Maryland has plenty of great state parks where you can go for runs and the scenery makes the running that much more enjoyable!

Have you used Hal Hingdon's (sp?) training schedules or did you follow something else. When I trained for that 1st half marathon the running club here was following his 1/2 marathon one and I liked it a lot.

Actually if anybody wants to work up to a 5k, 8k, 10k, 15k/10mile, 1/2 marathon, or marathon I recommend this site.

Hal Hingdon's website- http://www.halhigdon.com/

5K program for walkers- http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kwalk.htm

The marathon program- http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00index.htm

Sigh, appears I'm hyped up on running too.

Ok so I was just browsing though that site and found a 30 week sched for marathon training for novice runners. I'm not really a novice but my legs are hurting pretty bad after only 3 miles and I would love to start out slow. So now I need to find a marathon in Late May, June, or early July. June would be best...I hate running during the summer.

http://www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/novicesupreme.htm

Ok so I was just browsing though that site and found a 30 week sched for marathon training for novice runners. I'm not really a novice but my legs are hurting pretty bad after only 3 miles and I would love to start out slow. So now I need to find a marathon in Late May, June, or early July. June would be best...I hate running during the summer.

http://www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/novicesupreme.htm

See I really prefer summer running to winter running. Freezing temps and sleet just don't help you get loose! Plus no light outside in the evening. I don't mind running in the heat if the humidity is bearable.

Here's a list of marathons in the spring: http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm?Sort=RaceDate&Place=USA&StartDate=2/21/07 (click the next button for the next two months after that).

I have gotten into running in the past two years. I ran two half-marathons this year and I'm planning on running the NYC marathon in Nov. 2007. GF is running it for the first time two weeks from now!

I have run a bunch of races this year but my training has really been so-so at best. My times have not really improved and go up and down with each race. In what's left of this year and throughout next year I am going to try to take it up to the next level. I pretty much just go out and run, so I think I'm going to add speed work, some core strengthening exercises, and eventually maybe some weight training (though I really hate gyms and don't really want to join one). I also need to add miles per week because I just haven't been doing enough. Hopefully that will bust me through the plateau I hit this year. I think a lot of it is just a mindset. When I started, I didn't really want to be a serious runner, it was just something I did as exercise. But now I love it (can't believe I'm saying that) and want to get better at it.

I just wanted to say that you guys are really doing great and I know you can keep it up.

I have lost around forty pounds over a span of four years (probably broke down as something like 5-20-10-5) and the difference in how I feel is just night and day. This was obviously a long term thing for me. I thought of it as a lifestyle change more than a diet, and the formula wasn't that difficult. Eat fewer calories by eating healthier foods and exercise. If you cheat one day, don't despair. You don't even have to try to "make up for it" the next day. Just get back to your routine. And if you start exercising and aren't happy with how much you can do, don't stop. You'll gain endurance, strength, speed, whatever you're looking for as you go. When I started running I could barely run 1/2 a mile before stopping and I hated every second of it. But I ran as far as I could and then walked, and ran some more. Now I run half-marathons and I love it.

A few random things that have helped me: lots and lots of water, unsalted peanuts or even better, almonds (a small handful when you're hungry is one of the best snacks around because the fat is unsaturated and there's a little protein in there), and steamed veggies. I couldn't believe how much better vegetables tasted when they weren't mushy. But the best thing I ever did for myself was probably eating a larger breakfast.

Keep up the great work!