Sign in to follow this  
Remember The Alomar

Boxing Thread

I thought Wilder would lose too, but Stiverne tasted his power and fought tentative for the rest of the fight. Wilder has reach, power, and an improving jab. He needs to work on conditioning and technique. He's our best HW prospect right now, but he'd get destroyed against Wlad if they fought now. Give him another two years and we'll see where he's at. I think what's going to happen is he's going to get fed to Wladimir too soon, and it could ruin his career.

I thought Wilder would lose too, but Stiverne tasted his power and fought tentative for the rest of the fight. Wilder has reach, power, and an improving jab. He needs to work on conditioning and technique. He's our best HW prospect right now, but he'd get destroyed against Wlad if they fought now. Give him another two years and we'll see where he's at. I think what's going to happen is he's going to get fed to Wladimir too soon, and it could ruin his career.

Dude, you know your stuff about boxing. Could not agree more. The only big money safe fight for Wilder is Tyson Fury.

• Upvote 1

Dude, you know your stuff about boxing. Could not agree more. The only big money safe fight for Wilder is Tyson Fury.

Thanks man, tried my hand at it in college, failed, and now have an immense respect for guys that do it for a living. I'm glad you brought up the Fury fight. I'd LOVE to see this fight happen, because I think it'll be a good one while it lasts. I'd like to see if Wilder can succeed against a guy without having a reach advantage. Fury is a tough fighter with tenacity, but I'm not sure that he doesn't get KO'ed quickly because he's not hard to hit. Wilder is must see TV, so I'm hoping the fight happens in the next few months. Fury has a fight lined up in February already, and I know the initial speculation is that they both want to fight each other.

I third this. Wilder versus Klitschko would be a bad idea right now, but I would like to see how Wilder develops from here. I'm not even sure what we can tell from the Stiverne fight given that Stiverne was apparently suffering from dehydration.

I third this. Wilder versus Klitschko would be a bad idea right now, but I would like to see how Wilder develops from here. I'm not even sure what we can tell from the Stiverne fight given that Stiverne was apparently suffering from dehydration.

Having great KO power can hide a lot of flaws. Earnie Shavers was plodding, short, had poor defense, and a poor chin. He was a guy who was feared in spite of all these flaws. Wilder has poor defense and bad technique, but I'm not sure if he gets many fights just because he has dynamite in his hands. I don't understand why Stiverne was so dehydrated, because it's not like he had to cut weight.

Thanks for posting here guys, it's harder and harder to find boxing fans now. I think if guys would watch lower weight classes they would be enthralled. Guys like Gennady Golvokin, Kovalev, and Keith Thurman are so fun to watch.

I watch boxing every chance I get. I find the entire sport fascinating, even when the fighters involved aren't that great. But the courage and skill that goes into being a boxer is like nothing else for me.

I don't know what happened with Stiverne either. But apparently he trained too hard and had nothing on the night of the fight. I love Wilder and hope he rejuvenates the heavyweight division, but Stiverne's limitations leave me still wondering what Wilder actually is. Apparently he broke his hand in the fourth round of that fight as well, so that's going to have to heal before he can get back in the ring. But when he does, I think Tyson Fury will be next. It will be a good stepping stone fight for him.

Honestly, if he can someday put up any kind of challenge to Klitschko at all, he will have done more for the heavyweight division than any other fighter of the last ten years.

o

Boxing promoter Cedric Kushner died two weeks ago.

Beginning in the late 1980's and through the 1990's and early 2000's, Kushner promoted such fighters as world champions Virgil Hill, Shane Mosley, Vuyani Bungu, and Welcome Ncita, and top contenders such as Angel Manfredy.

But Kushner was best known for his "Heavyweight Explosion" promotions/shows, which featured world champions Hasim Rahman, Chris Byrd, and Oleg Maskaev, and top contenders such as the undefeated Ike Ibeabuchi, Kirk Johnson, Jameel McCline, and Derrick Jefferson.

Being Hasim Rahman's promoter when he became the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world by knocking out Lennox Lewis in 2001 was probably the pinnacle of Kushner's career. However, shortly after his KO victory over Lewis, Rahman was seduced by (literally) a bagful of money from Don King while he was eating in a diner, and Rahman subsequently dumped Kushner for King.

Kushner was 66 years-old.

Cedric Kushner Dies at 66

(By Dan Rafael)

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12251155/cedric-kushner-former-heavyweight-promoter-dies-66

o

o

I watch boxing every chance I get. I find the entire sport fascinating, even when the fighters involved aren't that great. But the courage and skill that goes into being a boxer is like nothing else for me.

I don't know what happened with Stiverne either. But apparently he trained too hard and had nothing on the night of the fight. I love Wilder and hope he rejuvenates the heavyweight division, but Stiverne's limitations leave me still wondering what Wilder actually is. Apparently he broke his hand in the fourth round of that fight as well, so that's going to have to heal before he can get back in the ring. But when he does, I think Tyson Fury will be next. It will be a good stepping stone fight for him.

Honestly, if he can someday put up any kind of challenge to Klitschko at all, he will have done more for the heavyweight division than any other fighter of the last ten years.

It looked like to me that Stiverne had zero heart in his title fight. When he got inside he did nothing. I think he tasted Wilder power early and wanted no part of him.

o

boxing promoter cedric kushner died two weeks ago.

Beginning in the late 1980's and through the 1990's and early 2000's, kushner promoted such fighters as world champions virgil hill, shane mosley, vuyani bungu, and welcome ncita, and top contenders such as angel manfredy.

But kushner was best known for his "heavyweight explosion" promotions/shows, which featured world champions hasim rahman, chris byrd, and oleg maskaev, and top contenders such as the undefeated ike ibeabuchi, kirk johnson, jameel mccline, and derrick jefferson.

Being hasim rahman's promoter when he became the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world by knocking out lennox lewis in 2001 was probably the pinnacle of kushner's career. However, shortly after his ko victory over lewis, rahman was seduced by (literally) a bagful of money from don king while he was eating in a diner, and rahman subsequently dumped kushner for king.

Kushner was 66 years-old.

cedric kushner dies at 66

(by dan rafael)

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12251155/cedric-kushner-former-heavyweight-promoter-dies-66

o

R.I.P. A lost to the boxing world.

It looked like to me that Stiverne had zero heart in his title fight. When he got inside he did nothing. I think he tasted Wilder power early and wanted no part of him.

I agree 100% that Wilder has the kind of power that can throw a lot of people off of their game. I'm not entirely sure that he wouldn't win against Wladimir Klitschko if he came out and blitzed him early and often. If the fight lasts more than two or three rounds, he'd be the one getting knocked out, but I think that's basically his best shot. Klitschko is just on a different level than everyone else, he should go down as a Top 10 HW of all time, I'd put him at about 7 right now.

Please don't take what I'm about to say as an insult man, but just hear me out on the whole "heart" issue. Often fighters are too hurt to continue or too tired to get up, and their bodies are just not responding to their desires. I've been hit so hard by a body shot that it took everything I had not to weep like a baby, and tears still came out. I couldn't continue, and nobody questioned my heart, because it was a given that I would react that way. Some boxers have a greater inner will to win, but with very few exceptions, there aren't many top level guys without the strong desire to win at all costs. I thank God that we have refs that do the right thing and stop fights instead of the rules of early American boxing.

All that said, I think Stiverne might have overdone the training and was drained, so that could be part of it. However, he was losing to Chris Arreola before KO'ing him, so who knows.

I agree 100% that Wilder has the kind of power that can throw a lot of people off of their game. I'm not entirely sure that he wouldn't win against Wladimir Klitschko if he came out and blitzed him early and often. If the fight lasts more than two or three rounds, he'd be the one getting knocked out, but I think that's basically his best shot. Klitschko is just on a different level than everyone else, he should go down as a Top 10 HW of all time, I'd put him at about 7 right now.

Please don't take what I'm about to say as an insult man, but just hear me out on the whole "heart" issue. Often fighters are too hurt to continue or too tired to get up, and their bodies are just not responding to their desires. I've been hit so hard by a body shot that it took everything I had not to weep like a baby, and tears still came out. I couldn't continue, and nobody questioned my heart, because it was a given that I would react that way. Some boxers have a greater inner will to win, but with very few exceptions, there aren't many top level guys without the strong desire to win at all costs. I thank God that we have refs that do the right thing and stop fights instead of the rules of early American boxing.

All that said, I think Stiverne might have overdone the training and was drained, so that could be part of it. However, he was losing to Chris Arreola before KO'ing him, so who knows.

You make a very good point my friend. Something was wrong. He just wasn't busy enough. I boxed in the Army. Each fight was a death match. I learn quick boxing was not for me.

o

20 years ago today, world middleweight champion Gerald McClellan was permanently blinded, lost 80% of his hearing, and suffered extensive brain damage in a title about against Nigel Benn for the WBC World Super Middleweight title.

Since then, McClellan's 3 sisters (all nurses) having been taking care of him 'round the clock, in 8-hour shifts.

The extremely incompetent (and obviously biased) referee played the biggest role in this tragedy. On numerous occasions (beginning with the first round, when McClellan knocked Benn completely out of the ring), the referee inexplicably stopped the fight to warn McClellan (with no reason) whenever McClellan had Benn in trouble.

Subsequently, instead of the fight ending much earlier than the 12th round with McClellan as a knockout/TKO winner, the fight continued until its tragic end, when a combination of head butts and punches by Benn eventually did McClellan in.

It is now 20 years later, and the author of the article wonders why the McClellan tragedy has been nearly forgotten.

Twenty Years Later, the Boxing World has Largely Forgotten Gerald McClellan

(By Kevin Iole)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/twenty-years-later--191535255.html

o